Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

DA*16-50 f2.8 -- If I had a dollar...

...for every rant I've seen on here about this big, beautiful, very capable but extremely unreliable lens, I'd be buying myself a few copies as backup. Especially since the SDM in mine died again, for the third time, just two months after the repair/replacement warranty expired.

Of course I'd never buy another copy but just out of curiosity, why isn't Pentax getting enough heat for such an inferior product, and why aren't they doing anything about it? Or do they even acknowledge this as an issue?

I've read suggestions about enabling screw-drive capability as an option but come on, why would you ask for a mere mitigation mechanism after paying for the silent, fast and accurate SDM autofocus?

08-31-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I heard that the SDM issues were put under control in the later batches of the lens, but that may be just a rumor. Just out of curiousity, how old is your lens?
08-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Someone bought the first copy a little less than a couple of years ago. Its SDM died several months later. When he sent it into to Pentax, they just replaced the whole lens with a new copy. About six months later I purchased that lens used, and a couple of months later its SDM died. When I sent it into to Pentax, they replaced the SDM since the lens was less still under warranty at less than 12-months old.

And now, eight months later and two months too late, the new SDM died. Both the lens and the repair are out of warranty.
08-31-2010, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Don't leave it at that.
Take it up with Pentax.
Be polite but adamant when you make your case.
Go as high in the company as you have to and don't be satisfied with an underling's "no". There is always somebody higher up who can override the "no".

I think Pentax is too big and too old and reliable a company to let a customer be cheated.

Mickey

Oh. And Good Luck.

08-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote

And now, eight months later and two months too late, the new SDM died. Both the lens and the repair are out of warranty.
Don't give up that easily. It's likely if you make a bit of noise you'll get it repaired for nix.
08-31-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I would love to take that piece of xxxx apart and see what went wrong exactly. It must be like 3-4 years since introduction. The problem is I am not going to spend my money on anything SDM. I have never believed Pentax addressed the SDM issue for a second as owners keep reporting failures. Sorry for your loss.
08-31-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:

I think Pentax is too big and too old and reliable a company to let a customer be cheated.
It's not cheating. The warranty has expired as it does on all products. I do think fixing it again is the right thing to do, however.

Last edited by SpecialK; 08-31-2010 at 07:20 PM.
08-31-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Or do they even acknowledge this as an issue?
I'm pretty sure they are doing something about it, but manufacturers never admit a problem. They come out with the new and improved version II.

Last edited by SpecialK; 08-31-2010 at 07:20 PM.
08-31-2010, 06:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Make A LOT of NOISE!!!

Pentax changed my motor on both the 16-50 & 50-135...The 50-135 didn't die, but changed it for the newer edition, just in case.
08-31-2010, 08:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the encouragement.

My only options now are to use it in MF but my sight is not what it used to be so when DOF is narrow, I could easily be off the target. The other option is to use it on my *ist DS which will drive the lens by its screw, not as good as my K20D or K-x but for portraits, will probably do the job.

But I think I will write Pentax anyway, since I have all the paperwork from the previous owner documenting all the replacements/repairs done, and see what they say. Even if they charge me a couple of hundred dollars for a new motor which is supposedly better, I guess it would be worth it instead of using it as a MF lens.
05-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I actually didn't follow up on this thread until now so my apologies...

Anyway, a little while ago I sent my broken DA*16-50 in to Pentax, with a letter explaining its issues along with documented history, and requested them to replace my lens instead of fixing it for the third time, even at a price.

I truly believed that I addressed my email to some Black Hole because I heard or saw nothing for a great while but just a couple of days ago, I went home to find a brand new DA* 16-50 with a new serial number waiting for me at my front door, sent in as a replacement from Pentax so naturally, I was quite ecstatic!

But when I mounted the lens on my K20D and pushed the AF button, the lens barely twitched. And on my K-x, it was even less reactive. I was upset enough to want to spike it like I just scored a touchdown but held back some how. The perception of about $700 dollars worth of nothing can do that to some of us.

And slowly -- very, very and extremely slowly, the lens came to life. In very, tiny small bursts, the lens struggled but eventually focussed.

I so badly want to pull a New Yorker with Pentax and tell them where to go and where to hide all their shiny glass. But as before, the optics this time have turned out to be terrific. Very sharp at f2.8 and much, much better at f4 and onwards. So I swallowed my pride, bit my quenched fists and convinced myself that I was just unlucky again.
05-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
I actually didn't follow up on this thread until now so my apologies...

Anyway, a little while ago I sent my broken DA*16-50 in to Pentax, with a letter explaining its issues along with documented history, and requested them to replace my lens instead of fixing it for the third time, even at a price.

I truly believed that I addressed my email to some Black Hole because I heard or saw nothing for a great while but just a couple of days ago, I went home to find a brand new DA* 16-50 with a new serial number waiting for me at my front door, sent in as a replacement from Pentax so naturally, I was quite ecstatic!

But when I mounted the lens on my K20D and pushed the AF button, the lens barely twitched. And on my K-x, it was even less reactive. I was upset enough to want to spike it like I just scored a touchdown but held back some how. The perception of about $700 dollars worth of nothing can do that to some of us.

And slowly -- very, very and extremely slowly, the lens came to life. In very, tiny small bursts, the lens struggled but eventually focussed.

I so badly want to pull a New Yorker with Pentax and tell them where to go and where to hide all their shiny glass. But as before, the optics this time have turned out to be terrific. Very sharp at f2.8 and much, much better at f4 and onwards. So I swallowed my pride, bit my quenched fists and convinced myself that I was just unlucky again.

I think you should get a rabbit's foot or a horse shoe?
05-10-2011, 09:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

You should post the video of yourself hammering that piece of shxt into pieces on every possible websites available. I cannot think of any other way of making Pentax Japan acknowledge the problem, which I am sure never exist. Then again, SDM is just as infamous as Windows ME or Vista. Well at least Vista isn't suck since SP1.

Last edited by wlachan; 05-10-2011 at 10:25 PM.
05-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I think you should get a rabbit's foot or a horse shoe?
Nope, they won't help. When it comes to certain things it just wouldn't matter even if I ride on top of lady luck Picking a fast lane either on the highway or a supermarket, for example!
05-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
You should post the video of yourself hammering that piece of shxt into pieces on every possible websites available. I cannot think of any other way of making Pentax Japan acknowledge the problem, which I am sure never exist. Then again, SDM is just as infamous as Windows ME or Vista. Well at least Vista isn't suck since SP1.
May be, wish SDM were as cheap or easy as Vista to erase and replace with something else.

It seems puzzling that Pentax has never officially acknowledged this problem which seems quite wide-spread, but from a business perspective, why should they do anything about it as long as people continue to pay top-dollar for their broken system?