Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does FA 4-5.6 28-105mm autofocus on K20?

I'm thinking not, but haven't definitively found the answer. Here's another stupid question since I'm on the topic: The K20 falls under a "K-mount," right? As opposed to all those other types of K--- mounts that have different autofocus capabilities.

There's one on ebay for around US $35 that I have my eye on, so don't actually have the lens yet. Just want something cheap to give me a bit more reach until I can afford something better (and newer ...).

08-31-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

It most definitely does. I have one and it's just fine on my k10 and k20. It is a power zoom lens BTW. I will say that it has some issues on my k100d super though but that's not your concern here. If you don't get a manual with the lens, you might want one as it has some interesting features. I think I got one online from Pentax.
08-31-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yes, all FA and F lenses can AF on digital bodies. See this chart for details on lens/camera compatibility: The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart , as well as this article explaining the different Pentax lens series: Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-31-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeniseH Quote
I'm thinking not, but haven't definitively found the answer. Here's another stupid question since I'm on the topic: The K20 falls under a "K-mount," right? As opposed to all those other types of K--- mounts that have different autofocus capabilities.

There's one on ebay for around US $35 that I have my eye on, so don't actually have the lens yet. Just want something cheap to give me a bit more reach until I can afford something better (and newer ...).
Actually the K20 camera is a KAF2 mount, but lacking the aperture coupling of the earlier KAF2 mount that was used on the PZ-1 camera.

Unless I miss my guess the lens you are questioning is a power zoom lens from the PZ era cameras,

they work just fine but note that the only function you can useon the power zoom is the motor driven zoom feature. the camera does not support the other functions such as image size tracking, zoom clip (return to a preset focal length) or zoom during exposure.

08-31-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Lowell - thanks for the clarification. I haven't really bothered too much with the more interesting functions of the PZ lens on my k20. I have a PZ-1P camera which talks to it all. Again, thank for that.
08-31-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Manuals

Here is a manual covering FA lenses. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/site-suggestions-forum-help/62184-instruc...e-manuals.htmlI got it from this forum thread;
"Site suggestions and Forum help"> Instruction manual or PDF file manuals. "idler" (forum member) posted this and many, many more manuals for Pentax anything!
For me, one of the great things about being a Pentaxian is being able to use pretty much all of the lenses on all of the cameras
Also, Manuals and Literature - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
And, Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page
Don't forget,Pentax Digital SLR Camera manuals
One more, Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories
09-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The compatibility chart and manual are great to have when shopping on ebay, etc. Thanks for pointing me in that direction! Must keep that beside the computer and the paypal button ...