Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
vivitar 105mm f/2.8????

I can find almost NO information at all about this lens and I'm about to drop the hammer on a bid for it. Does anyone have any info (even better, first hand experience) with this lens? Unfortunately, the auction's photos are horrible and I've not heard back from the seller. it looks like it has some sort of adapter mount which may say PK on it, but it's really just not clear. What's even worse is that because I can't find any info on the lens, I'm unsure of it's worth and would hate to overbid on it. Soooooooooo, any info what-so-ever would be extremely beneficial. Thanks!

attached is an image included in the auction of the lens.

Attached Images

09-01-2010, 02:13 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only lens I found in our database was this one: Vivitar Series 1 105mm f2.5 Macro Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

However, from the photo it looks like it's an F2.8, so I wouldn't doubt if it's at all a Pentax variant. Plus, from the ratings it appears that the f2.5 version couldn't be much better
09-01-2010, 03:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by irishwhite Quote
Unfortunately, the auction's photos are horrible and I've not heard back from the seller. it looks like it has some sort of adapter mount which may say PK on it, but it's really just not clear.
If the seller won't provide clear shots of the lens, there may be a good reason -- like, they don't want to reveal damage. I avoid listings worded as "I'm no camera expert" and " this was from an estate I bought" and "as-is, no returns", and where the seller doesn't respond. I saw a listing for some Vivitar lens, asked the seller what the mount was and to post clear shots of the lens front and base, and got a reply: We're a wholesale house -- for that information, contact the manufacturer. Since Viv's may exist in a dozen different mounts, that reply meant that I didn't bid. Don't deal with sellers with something to hide.
09-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. After even more research I've finally found some info and it's a Vivitar available in a t4 mount. I was getting all excited because everything I was able to find included the phrase 1:1 macro but it certainly appears that this is not one of those lenses.

RioRico, although your advice is the safest route to take, I've found that most of my better deals are from people that just don't know the value of what they are selling. Of course, if the seller is unwilling to work with you than that's a clear sign of horrible customer service or just simply something to hide.

This seller did get back to me this morning and confirmed it does say PK on the back, but I think I'm going to pass on this lens.

Thanks again!

09-01-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have the Soligor version, and it's quite competetive with the SMC Takumar.
I had the Vivitar version briefly, identical lens except for cosmetics, but I gave that one away.

For a low enough price, it is worth a chance, if everything's working, these are very fine lenses.
09-01-2010, 07:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I have the Soligor version, and it's quite competetive with the SMC Takumar.
I had the Vivitar version briefly, identical lens except for cosmetics, but I gave that one away.

For a low enough price, it is worth a chance, if everything's working, these are very fine lenses.
Yeah, that's probably true but in the last 6 days I've spent $350 on about 8 different auctions and have also committed to almost $600 to buy a 10-20mm f/3.5....soooo needless to say maybe I should put the debit card in a block of ice for a while.
09-01-2010, 07:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You're emerging from an excellent, artistic, LBA spree, so I understand.

I think I paid something like $10-15 for each lens, and bought the Viv specifically to give as a gift.

The next step in your recovery, of course, is to use each lens you bought, post sample pix, and maybe even add reviews for them I find this stage to be slightly less pleasant than the purchasing but ideally at least some of the lenses go onto make actually good photographs. That sometimes I manage to make a good photograph in the first round is gravy.

09-01-2010, 08:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
You're emerging from an excellent, artistic, LBA spree, so I understand.

I think I paid something like $10-15 for each lens, and bought the Viv specifically to give as a gift.

The next step in your recovery, of course, is to use each lens you bought, post sample pix, and maybe even add reviews for them I find this stage to be slightly less pleasant than the purchasing but ideally at least some of the lenses go onto make actually good photographs. That sometimes I manage to make a good photograph in the first round is gravy.
Well, here's the thing. What I'm supposed to be doing (i.e. how I've justified this spree with my girlfriend) is that I'm supposed to be looking for good deals and flipping the gear for small profits. Nothing substantial, but something to help alleviate the cost of the 10-20 sig.

Problem is, and I know that it's just part of the LBA curse, I fall in love with these lenses either for their different photographic qualities or just because I love the way they look and feel (sup-tak's are an excellent example of this) and then just cannnnnnn't bear to get rid of them.

"Oh, but honey...what if I break one of my 50 f/1.4's?" I've just got to have a spare!

Also, I've never spent more than maybe $70 on a single lens. So the Sigma 10-20 is a whole new ballpark for me, even though I know there are countless members who spend twice that on single lenses.
09-01-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by irishwhite Quote
Well, here's the thing. What I'm supposed to be doing (i.e. how I've justified this spree with my girlfriend) is that I'm supposed to be looking for good deals and flipping the gear for small profits. Nothing substantial, but something to help alleviate the cost of the 10-20 sig.

Problem is, and I know that it's just part of the LBA curse, I fall in love with these lenses either for their different photographic qualities or just because I love the way they look and feel (sup-tak's are an excellent example of this) and then just cannnnnnn't bear to get rid of them.

"Oh, but honey...what if I break one of my 50 f/1.4's?" I've just got to have a spare!

Also, I've never spent more than maybe $70 on a single lens. So the Sigma 10-20 is a whole new ballpark for me, even though I know there are countless members who spend twice that on single lenses.
I usually buy a lens to replace another and end up keeping both. Then every six months or so I do a purge where I sell everything at a loss, only to buy half the stuff back later.

LBA is a dangerous game
09-01-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Ah, a man to my liking then. Yes, that's exactly my thought process- though with lenses I wouldn't mind getting rid of, I manage to tell myself I wouldn't make enough money to make it worth my while... And those that are really worth good money, why would I get rid of them, especially if I like them, even if I did stand to make a couple of hundred profit?

The year I turned 50, I managed to convince myself I ought to buy me a 43 ltd. So I did, while there were rebates and before the prices took off. The problem is, my family bought me the DA 70 for my birthday, using my money of course, so that year I spent more on lenses than I've ever, before or since.
09-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At one time 105mm was the focal length to have for portraits, thanks mostly to the reputation of the 105 Nikkor.
Every manufacturer made one, including third parties. Few are great; many are good.
Take a chance and buy it if it's cheap enough.

Chris