Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
Pentaxian
konraDarnok's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Albums
Posts: 962
F* 300mm, FA 31mm, DA 15mm, the end all and be all kit?

Currently I have

F* 300mm

FA 50mm

FA 28mm

A 50mm 1.2

Vivitar 28mm 2.0

The F* 300mm is a joy always. I love the speed of the FA 50mm, but not the field of view. I love the field of view and sharpness of the FA 28mm but not the speed. I'm constantly wishing I could get a closer focus distance, and I need a wide angle. The Vivitar is nice, but manual focus, and the A 50mm is, well, just not all that useful.

Sell it all but my 300mm, and the 31mm and 15mm should solve all my woes no?

Can the 31mm or the 15mm do a decent pseudo-macro? Is the 15mm wide enough in most people's experience?

09-01-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,754
Nice kit! Mine is almost the same, but I have many more lenses

I have done some pseudo-macro with the 31 here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/107915-nature-dragonfly-...8-limited.html

Last edited by Asahiflex; 09-01-2010 at 06:08 AM.
09-01-2010, 06:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian
konraDarnok's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Albums
Posts: 962
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Nice kit! Mine is almost the same, but I have many more lenses

I have done some pseudo-macro with the 31 here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/107915-nature-dragonfly-...8-limited.html
Those are excellent. Is that just close focus, or are those extensively cropped?
09-01-2010, 06:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,754
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Those are excellent. Is that just close focus, or are those extensively cropped?
Thanks! The first three were not cropped; the last ones were to some extent. You'll need too because of the 12 inch MFD of the FA31. But the nice thing about the FA31 is that it's so sharp that you can easily make large crops...

09-01-2010, 06:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member
farfisa's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,274
The FA 31 has the same minimum focus distance as the FA 28 (30 cm), so you might have the same frustration, but Asahiflex is right that it's so sharp that cropping makes up for a lot!
09-01-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian
konraDarnok's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Albums
Posts: 962
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
The FA 31 has the same minimum focus distance as the FA 28 (30 cm), so you might have the same frustration, but Asahiflex is right that it's so sharp that cropping makes up for a lot!
true, the 15mm DA is significantly closer however. Similar to the 10-17mm I used to own -- which I really enjoyed minus the distortion; it was great for flowers and other close up subjects.
09-01-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
axl
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
Personally I'd say 31-300 is huge gap! But if you don't mind it's ok. 15 & 31 is very appealing (having 10-20 & 31 I know combo like this works well + you'll get the benefit of smaller size from DA15) but I'd either keep A50/1.2 (if you'll decide to sell it let me know please) or get something in 70-85 range or get DA*50-135. For me as I said 31 to 300 would be too big gap
09-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian
konraDarnok's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Albums
Posts: 962
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Personally I'd say 31-300 is huge gap! But if you don't mind it's ok. 15 & 31 is very appealing (having 10-20 & 31 I know combo like this works well + you'll get the benefit of smaller size from DA15) but I'd either keep A50/1.2 (if you'll decide to sell it let me know please) or get something in 70-85 range or get DA*50-135. For me as I said 31 to 300 would be too big gap
I'm curious as to what you use a mid telephoto for? I used to have the 18-250mm, and the vast majority of my shots were either wide angle or at full zoom.

I like the primes, because they're lighter weight and often a zoom just covers the distance I'm willing to walk to get a shot anyway.

But certainly, in a perfect world, I'd compliment the area between 31mm and 300mm with the FA WR 100mm, which is beyond my budget.

09-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
I've put together my own ultimate kit.

* DA10-17 covers the wide end
* DA18-55 covers the middle ground
* Schneider Betavaron 50-125 enlarger zoom covers the weird side
* Lil'Bigma 170-500 does the extreme

Together with body, flash and batteries, it comes in at around 10 lbs / 4.5 kg. Enough for a pack dog.

No, I am not serious.
09-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,553
How about one of the Sigma wide, f1.8, pseudo macros, 20mm, 24mm, or 28mm?

Thank you
Russell
09-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Middle of Everywhere
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,170
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Personally I'd say 31-300 is huge gap! But if you don't mind it's ok.
Agree.

If you wish to stick with primes and crop to compose, may I suggest the D FA 100 WR as a good candidate to fill-in this gap? The 15 crops well to about 30, 31 to about 90, 100 to about 250, and the 300 crops to about 600. If there's a slight gap due to cropping limits, it does not matter to me.

In my opinion, there's nothing doggy about a 15-31-100-300 kit paired to a K-7, or K-x.

Df course, it all depends on your preferred subjects. Mine are not particularly exotic, or demanding (no super macro, no athletic events, no ultra low light, etc.) so it seems to work for me.

Cheers...
09-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #12
axl
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
I'm curious as to what you use a mid telephoto for? I used to have the 18-250mm, and the vast majority of my shots were either wide angle or at full zoom.

I like the primes, because they're lighter weight and often a zoom just covers the distance I'm willing to walk to get a shot anyway.

But certainly, in a perfect world, I'd compliment the area between 31mm and 300mm with the FA WR 100mm, which is beyond my budget.
What did I use mid tele for? Mostly people shots, vistas from further apart where 31 was too wide and generally everything you can use mid tele for...
If you want primes but ain't sure if you want to lug around another big-ish lens, look at DA70, and if you're not sure about splashing money on FL you may not use look at M85, it's fairly small, good FL and doesn't cost a lot.
My 2p
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
28mm, 300mm, 31mm, 50mm, fa, focus, k-mount, love, pentax lens, slr lens, view, vivitar
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax DA 55-300mm vs Tamron 70-300mm at long end (brickwall) tcdk Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 11-15-2009 12:52 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax 31mm ltd, 77mm ltd, DFA 100mm macro, F* 300mm chemxaj Sold Items 21 11-07-2008 01:49 PM
What should be the maximum price for Pentax-A 15mm lens as the DA 15mm is coming up? Mitch34 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 06-24-2008 04:40 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:23 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top