Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #16
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep checking on the forum's marketplace CEWren - it's probably the best place to snatch a good deal for your favoured gear.

09-02-2010, 03:27 AM   #17
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote

I neeeeeed one. I keep bidding ebay, but havent won one. now I have a few other sites to check thanks to you all but just spent 100$ on the camera... times are tight now.

I would settle for a 35 too... neither has gone my way yet.
You have to bite the bullet and do a BIN or bid high on a good copy of a 50 1.4 Super-Multi-Coated. (I have the Super, but want the S-M-C.) They're between $75 and $125 now, and that's that. Also check out KEH.

I paid a ridiculous, retarded price for my 35 2 because I wanted it. $240!!!!!!!!!

My 85 1.9 a few months ago? $270!!!!!!!!!!!

And now, that's just about the BOTTOM price for the 85. And the 35 2 is being sold as BINs way higher than what I paid.

These climbing prices have to stop somewhere, but they haven't stopped yet.

-------------

Edit:

Here's a 35 3.5 on the marketplace here for 40 bucks:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/112990-sale-s...worldwide.html

Last edited by Ira; 09-02-2010 at 03:40 AM.
09-02-2010, 03:41 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Truthfully this is as a result of Hoya/Pentax raising prices on new primes. If it costs 400-ish dollars to get a new prime, a lot of people will sell an excellent condition one for 200-ish.

85mm's are a different story, since they have always been really expensive and now, Pentax doesn't even make one.
09-02-2010, 04:31 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CEWren

you need to keep at it.

I have put together, mostly for the fun of it, a relitively complete M42 set over the last 2 years.

this includes the following

24mm F2.5 Tamron adaptall2
28mm F2.5 Vivitar
35mm F2 SMC Tak
50mm F1.4 Super Tak (8 element version 1 - the sharpest 50mm in the world at the time)
50mm F4 Macro SMC Tak
58mm F2 helios
85mm F1.9 Super tak
105 mm F2.8 Vernon Edonar Preset (14 blade aperture)
135mm F2.8 Tele Lentar Preset (15 blade aperture)
135mm F3.5 SMC Tak
200mm F3.5 Takumar Preset (18 blade aperture)

Plus, 2x Tamron MC teleconverter, ASAHI focusing Helix, ASAHI extension tube set. along with filters and hoods for most of the lenses.

Total investment to date is about $850 for 11 lenses. The least I paid was $8.99 for the vivitar 28, and the most was $200 for the 85mm Tak (this was the only lens over $100).

All the lenses are a) excellent quality optically and b) FAST

WHile I have to admit prices have gone up, I also know that when I got each of the lenses above, I did pay less than market value. You just need to keep looking, not only on E-Bay (I only got one lens there) but also the forum market place (got another one there) local thrift shops, (got 2 plus the teleconverter and extension tubes there) and local camera stores, that carry used lenses, GGot 6 there) and garage sales.

Unfortunately there have been closures of 2 really good sources in toronto for used lenses in the past year due to retirement of the owners. Now all that is left is henry's and downtow camera, who put most used lenses on E-Bay to sell overseas where prices for pentax are even higher.

The bottom line is you need to keep looking... But also consider that no where else can you get 11 primes for this kind of money. one or two - purchased new perhaps, but not 11

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 09-02-2010 at 04:48 AM.
09-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #20
Inactive Account

so how similar is my 55 1.8 to a 50 1.4? Should my next lens be a 35 just to bring variety to my collection? I have nothing lower than a 55 except my kit lens, 18-55

I want that 35.... I do I do I do. seriously though, husband is off for surgery recovery.. I shouldnt do it. times are tight.. but.. its so hard to resist...
09-02-2010, 07:03 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

so how similar is my 55 1.8 to a 50 1.4? Should my next lens be a 35 just to bring variety to my collection? I have nothing lower than a 55 except my kit lens, 18-55

I want that 35.... I do I do I do. seriously though, husband is off for surgery recovery.. I shouldnt do it. times are tight.. but.. its so hard to resist...
In absolute terms 5mm and a third of a stop. In terms of FOV the 50mm is equivalent to a 75mm and the 55mm is equivalent to 82mm. In terms of sharpness and bokeh, the 50 1.4 has few peers.
09-02-2010, 07:26 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
At least one member here has confessed to well over 100.

I'm up to 20 now. I could use just a few more...

[/me is straightjacketed and hauled away by LBA police]
And I thought having two Pentax 50s (a-1.7 and a-1.4) was a little excessive...

09-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
And I thought having two Pentax 50s (a-1.7 and a-1.4) was a little excessive...
Oh, of those 20 only 6 are Pentax: FA40/1.4, M50/1.7, M50/2, MacroTak 50/4, Tak 55/1.8, and SuperTak 55/2. There are also 5 Meyers and various other Germans, Russians and Japanese, with more on the way so long as they stay cheap. And that's the thing: old manual Fifty's are still plentiful and rather inexpensive, sometimes dirt cheap, like an Isco 50/2 I just won for US$1 plus $3 shipping. Let's see, do I count the Schneider 60mm PC (US$20) as a Fifty?
09-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have just 4 Pentax 50's so far (Super Tak 1.4, M-1.7, A-1.7, A-2). The others are a Sears 1.7 and a Sigma 2.8 macro. The last 2 are Canon FD so they really don't count.

I also have 3 55 1.8s (Auto-Tak, SMC Tak, K) and a Helios 44M 58 2. There are so many more that I need....
09-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It always amuses me that other camera fans can be so snooty about owning Pentax bodies and yet they can still go out of their way to find Takumars and adapters to use on their cameras. One guy in the local film club, he wouldn't be caught dead with a Pentax camera, but half the lenses on his non-Pentax DSLR are M42 Takumars and he admits they are great.

Yashica is a bit like that too now. The better lenses are steadily increasing in price because the Canon crowd has discovered they can use them with an adapter and it works. Only a few months ago you could still buy the better non Zeiss lenses for pretty cheap. Now, you want something better than the YUS or DSB lenses you're still not breaking the bank but you're paying a bit more for it usually. If it's not the standard 50MM DSB? It's not nearly as cheap as it was. I'm glad I picked up my better C/Y's and my FRI when I did. I don't think I'd be able to afford them a year from now.

Last edited by magkelly; 09-02-2010 at 09:08 AM.
09-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

can't you get both?

I know it sounds really selfish, but you will do it eventually.

The 50mm F1.4, especially the early version 8 element Super Tak is, as I posted above one of the sharpest 50mm lenses ever.

The SMC 35F2 Tak I have is also a very nice lens, and is about equivelent to a normal lens from the film era in field of view. Both are good all round performers.

If you are limited to one only, get the 35F2 because for your kit it offers the biggest increase in capabilities, and only take the 50mm if it is the 8 element variety (there is a thread that describes how to tell them apart)
09-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
How many 50's does a man need? Don't answer, I have 8 and need more.
Not counting a Nikon AI and a Canon FD both of which I use with optically corrected adaptors that retain infinity focus, I have 5. SMC-K 50mm F1.4, SMC Macro Takumar, Super Takumar F1.4 (8 element), SMC-M 50mm F2 and XR Rikenin F2.

The Rikenin came with my Ricoh XR-2s as the kit lens, The two F1.4 taks I bought used, same with the macro, and the SMC-M I got for $10 in a second hand shop, because it had a metal press on Takuamr front cap.
09-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #28
Inactive Account

I can tell you all are going to get me and my piggy bank in a lot of trouble. LOL

I do eventually want both. but one at a time... like I said, times are tight

I will have to go looking for that thread. thanks
09-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've got a quick question about that Takumar 50MM so long as you all are talking about it. I have one and it's sort of gold, but not nearly as yellow as some of the pics I've seen of that lens when the radioactive lens turns. Was the coating on that one slightly golden to begin with or was it clear? I've not yet been able to find a definitive answer on that one. So far it doesn't seem to affect any pics I've taken much. They just look a bit warmer than with some of my lenses, that's it. I actually rather like it so I haven't done the UV treatment thing but I am wondering if I should or not.
09-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can't tell just by looking at the lens. You have to mount the lens and look through the viewfinder while focusing on a white background. If it looks yellow, then you have lens yellowing. It really doesn't matter on a DSLR because the WB can take care of it. I left mine in the window for about 2 months during the winter, not much sunlight in CNY in the winter.