Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If Pentax Is So Unpopular....

and everyone is shooting with digital SLR's then why has the price of used Pentax analog and digital equipment been steadily rising?

Film cameras that were $20-30 if that a year ago are costing 2X that much and you can't hardly grab an M42 Takumar unless you're willing to pay through the nose for one. A year or two ago I could have grabbed a 200MM Takumar for maybe $30. Now that same lens is $60-100. DSLR's that are half a dozen years old and that have taken 50K worth of pics are still selling for some really pricey sums.

Obviously far more people out there like Pentax than they want let on. Heck, even my local pawn shops have suddenly decided they have a gold mine in old Pentax gear. You can't buy a lens for $10 anymore that's for sure.

It's kind of crazy...

People say they don't like it, don't use it, but they sure BUY it nonetheless.

09-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My impression is that since the introduction of the k10d, Pentax has slowly grown its user-base. The K-X injected a lot of new users too, and I'm assuming that a good chunk of people joining the brand are doing so due to backwards compatibility.

Heck, I now have 4 MF lenses, that I collectively bought for 230... the price of a low end zoom!

So I think that since Pentax as a brand HAS been growing, albeit slightly (think Apple in the early 90's), then the price of used gear is going to go up as they simply don't make them anymore. Popular is a relative term... popular compared to Pentax 10 years ago, or compared to Canon?
09-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter

It's the world wide popularity of the K-x. When I was looking for lenses on fleaBay a lot of questions were "Will you ship to {insert Asian country here}?"
09-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It might be the effect of adapters for micro mounts and Canon DSLRs with video giving older lenses a wider market. It could also be that with the recession people are not able to update equipment so simply holding on to what they own until a better time.

Thank you
Russell

09-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter

There is a limited supply of older lenses, and an increasing number of new bodies. Some people with new bodies will want old lenses, driving up demand and prices.
09-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
And then there is the hovering phantom of the FF Pentax, which will make full use of these older lenses.
09-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

On the bay, search the Cameras section for SMC LENS sorted by LOW PRICE, and see how many Pentax/Takumar 50's and 55's and 28's show up. See how many SuperTak 55/2's are listed at US$10 and AREN'T SELLING. See how many DA18-55's ARE selling. And how many A35-80's aren't, 'cause it's a crap lens. Yes, many old Taks are selling for more, but gems like the TeleTak 200/5.6 are still cheap. Supply vs demand, that's the game.
09-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I want to get my hands on about 3 more 50 1.4s, in whatever combination of Super and S-M-C, and I'll be happy.

09-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
the birth of Kx really boosted Pentax's popularity..
09-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I want to get my hands on about 3 more 50 1.4s, in whatever combination of Super and S-M-C, and I'll be happy.
How many 50's does a man need? Don't answer, I have 8 and need more.
09-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I'm just nervous they'll be harder to find and a lot more expensive in a year or two.
09-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #12

I have some photo boards I frequent and I dont dare mention I own a pentax. I did a few times and I felt shunned. THats why I love it here. I love my camera, and since I am now used to it, holding the canons and nikons, well.. they feel cheap, and uncomfortable. That being said, in the days of 35mm black and white I had a canon rebel... but that was ages ago and my skill then was in the darkroom, not as much behind the camera

Ira.. I want 1 50 1.4 at this point. I am jealous of all you who have many... care to trade all my junk for one? LOL!
09-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Blame the K-mount and M42 lens prices on the club threads on this forum. You can also place a huge amount of the blame on Canon owners where Pentax glass has attained sort of a cult status.

Steve
09-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
At least one member here has confessed to well over 100.

I'm up to 20 now. I could use just a few more...

[/me is straightjacketed and hauled away by LBA police]
09-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #15

no fair.... thats why prices are up, cause you all are hoarding them. LOL

I neeeeeed one. I keep bidding ebay, but havent won one. now I have a few other sites to check thanks to you all but just spent 100$ on the camera... times are tight now.

I would settle for a 35 too... neither has gone my way yet.