Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by apemen Quote
I find my 21mm & 40mm not fast enough for indoor/low-light portraits.
The thing is, going to a larger aperture just trades one problem (the need for higher ISO and/or slower shutter speed than you might prefer) for another (shallower DOF than you might prefer). I find that 40mm and f/2.8 is a great sweet spot. DOF is already shallow enough that you'll struggle to get two people in focus at once, but it's forgiving enough that you're less likely to mess up a shot of a single person because focus was on the nose instead of the eyes. And at 40mm, the shutter speeds you get at f/2.8 and ISO 1600 are usually good enough.

So I'd say if you're allergic to ISO 1600 and are willing to give up DOF in order to reduce ISO, then indeed, you'll need a faster lens. But I think of that as something more for portraits - when you have time to slow down and pinpoint focus on the specific *part*of the face you want in focus - than for candids. Which is I which I tend to suggest not worrying about going faster than f/2.8 in a lens that you're using primarily for candids. But definitely consider shallow DOF as a creative element in portraits. So I do use my 50 some for portraits - but even then, I find I prefer using the DA70.

09-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
I had M 50mm f1.7, A 50mm f1.4 and f1.7 and the F 50mm f1.7, now I have the FA Limiteds, no more nifty fifties for me. TBH, the Sigma proves the digitally optimised tag and there are less CAs and flare. What I found odd, though, is that the metering seemed sometimes off topic when shooting the Sigma. The center sharpness is a little better wide open compared with my other 50's. Bokeh should be better because of the number of blades but I could not say I have noticed big differences.

Anyway, I believe both the FA and the Sigma are fairly there in terms of IQ, but if you do often streetshooting forget the Sigma, that lens is as sexy as a Playboy centerfold, but equally attention grabbing (both law and outlaws)
I have a A 50 1.4 that I use for beauty headshots, and was entertaining the idea of buying the sigma, I would love to see some wide open (f1.4-2) portraits from this lens.
09-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 for sigma 30mm 1.4

09-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That are two pictures!!!
- Although really nice, when I see those it confirms I think focal length of 50 mm (and up) is typically more flattering for portraits

09-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
That are two pictures!!!
- Although really nice, when I see those it confirms I think focal length of 50 mm (and up) is typically more flattering for portraits
You are correct! I have a sigma 28mm 1.8 that I use for avante editorial headshots, but never for beauty work
09-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I have the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 and LOVE it ...!

It's one large, very substantial chunk of glass, but boy - does it take some good photos, and the focusing is very fast on my K20D.
09-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote

It's one large, very substantial chunk of glass, but boy - does it take some good photos, and the focusing is very fast on my K20D.
Hey Pete,

May I ask a couple of questions to you?
- Which other lenses do you have?
- Do you LOVE the Sigma 50 mm F1.4 most of them?
- How often do you use the Sigma 50 mm F1.4 compared to your other lenses?
- What are you most typically / favorite applications for the Sigma 50 m F1.4?

And a bonus question, can you share one (or a couple ) of you favorite (preferably facial portrait ) results made by this lens?

09-02-2010, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Joe - I have many lenses, and they all get pretty much equal workouts.

The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 is a great lens for street photography, but also works well for portraits.

Here's one I took with it, using a bounced, diffused flash:

That's my Dad on his 96th birthday...! Sure hope I got his genes.
09-02-2010, 11:27 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is a very good smile on his face!!!

One last tiny question:
- Do you have this lens fitted a K-7 category camera (with / without additional grip) or one as compact like a K-x?

I get the impression if you put this lens on the camera then you can't put the camera down anymore, it will hang in the air attached to the wide lens (the Sony NEX idea...). But maybe I am mistaken.
09-03-2010, 12:48 AM   #25
Veteran Member

No - I haven't tried it on a more compact camera. My cameras are two K20D bodies, each with battery pack. So the lens is a comfortable fit.

I can imagine that the lens may look a little oversized on a smaller camera, but why don't you go to the nearest camera store that has the lens, and try it on the body you're thinking of putting it on?

I generally carry two K20Ds with grips, with a lens on each, if I'm specifically out and about for taking photos. Often with either my ThinkTank Rotation 360 backpack, and the cameras attached to the two backpack straps.

If I'm travelling lighter, then I use a ThinkTank Retrospective 30 bag.

And I'm a fairly big individual anyway, so the size of camera and lens is not a problem for me. For someone more slightly built, then the size of the gear you carry, including a lens like the Sigma 50mm f/1.4, may be a consideration.
09-03-2010, 04:41 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, and when my kids run away further I might already have to add a larger 50-135/150 F2.8 (Pentax DA*/Sigma), so that is an additional reason to go for the compact Pentax 50 mm F1.4.
- But guess I am indeed just going to try them out!!!
09-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote

do you have any wide open(f1.4-2) available light portraits shoot with your sigma that you could post.
09-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #28
Pentaxian

FA50mm is just awesome for glamorous portraits

and this one is not bad either