Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #1

300mm hunt F* or DA*

Hi everyone, i'm looking for a 300 mm lens, and i have the chance to buy either the F*4.5 or the DA*f4 for the same price, both second hand but Ex condition, which one would you go for.
Somehow i am more fond of the F* version, because of its looks and its label of "old gem lens". The new ones seem to have lost glamour, but obviusly there are some mechanical improvements, such as SDM and sealing, that should be considered.
I assume they're equal in AF speed and IQ, am i wrong?

Any fortunate owner of both?

Thanks a lot!

09-02-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think there's not much point in owning both the DA* 300 and the F* 300.

I would seriously consider the DA* if I was a wildlife shooter (because of the weather sealing). However, I own the F* and I like it a lot although I don't use it in the rain. What I like in the F* is the integrated hood - you'll never lose it. Also, maybe the build quality is maybe a bit better (all-metal construction and screwdriven autofocus).

The F* never ceased to amaze me in the sharpness and bokeh department, even wide open.

If you decide to go for the F* then I would make sure that the (detachable) tripod collar is still there.
09-02-2010, 01:13 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah of course the sealing is a strong point, but i don't expect to shoot when raining, i'm not that tough. And i'm not a wildlife shooter, i mean, using hides and standing for hours, jeje, i'd rather go to a zoo. How does the autofocus works?
09-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

My F* 300 is not slow, being a screwdriven lens with internal focusing. I will try to compare it with my other lenses, maybe this is helpful.

12-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
F* 300 sample...

QuoteOriginally posted by mtr_fingolfin Quote
Hi everyone, i'm looking for a 300 mm lens, and i have the chance to buy either the F*4.5 or the DA*f4 for the same price, both second hand but Ex condition, which one would you go for.
Somehow i am more fond of the F* version, because of its looks and its label of "old gem lens". The new ones seem to have lost glamour, but obviusly there are some mechanical improvements, such as SDM and sealing, that should be considered.
I assume they're equal in AF speed and IQ, am i wrong?

Any fortunate owner of both?

Thanks a lot!
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I think there's not much point in owning both the DA* 300 and the F* 300.

I would seriously consider the DA* if I was a wildlife shooter (because of the weather sealing). However, I own the F* and I like it a lot although I don't use it in the rain. What I like in the F* is the integrated hood - you'll never lose it. Also, maybe the build quality is maybe a bit better (all-metal construction and screwdriven autofocus).

The F* never ceased to amaze me in the sharpness and bokeh department, even wide open.

If you decide to go for the F* then I would make sure that the (detachable) tripod collar is still there.
Speaks for itself...camera the ancient *ist D...click on the image and it's slightly bigger...magnificent full-size...

Cameron
12-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow Cameron, that's one heck of a sharp shot with superb bokeh! As I said the F* 300 never ceased to amaze me
12-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks...

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Wow Cameron, that's one heck of a sharp shot with superb bokeh! As I said the F* 300 never ceased to amaze me
That was a cover shot for one of my pet rescue calendars. I am getting pretty good in Photoshop, having used it since 2.3 or so. I remember marvelling how advanced Photoshop 4 was, and the problems that plagued 5 point something.

What are they at now...11 or so? Man I'm OLD.

But there's no substitute for a great subject AND a great lens.

Cheers,
Cameron
12-27-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The F* is also very good with the Pentax 1,7x teleconverter.

12-28-2010, 12:04 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

Those F* 300 images do look fantastic! I've never used the F*300 so can't compare, but the DA*300 is a very good lens in its own right. One thing I'd be curious to know is, how is the minimum focus distance for the F*300? The DA*300 has a very close MFD and it does an excellent job filling the frame with butterflies and hummingbirds and such. Also its size and weight are quite manageable.
12-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
Pentaxian

It's about 6 feet or so...

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Those F* 300 images do look fantastic! I've never used the F*300 so can't compare, but the DA*300 is a very good lens in its own right. One thing I'd be curious to know is, how is the minimum focus distance for the F*300? The DA*300 has a very close MFD and it does an excellent job filling the frame with butterflies and hummingbirds and such. Also its size and weight are quite manageable.
the only drag about the F*300 is the CRAZY HUGE tripod mount.

And thanks for the compliments.

Cameron
12-30-2010, 12:55 AM   #11
MSD

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
how is the minimum focus distance for the F*300
It focuses down to 200cm. The DA, on the other hand, can focus to 140cm. Both are quite close for a 300, though.
12-30-2010, 12:56 AM   #12
MSD

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
The F* is also very good with the Pentax 1,7x teleconverter.
Wow! What kind of exposure is that?
12-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSD Quote
Wow! What kind of exposure is that?
Moon 500mm

View On Black

Summer Solstice 2010

Camera: Pentax K20D
Lens: smc Pentax F* 300mm f4.5 and Pentax AF 1.7x teleconverter.
Exposure: 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture: f/8.0
Focal Length: 500 mm
ISO Speed: 160
Exposure Bias: 0 EV