Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
Being in the UK, I'm not that familiar with US prices, though they often seem to be lower than in the UK, so I initially thought that $50 sounded a bit high. I was mentally comparing the Bayonet with an M 135/3.5, which is in probably as plentiful supply as the Bayonet, and could be thought of as its main competition (as it was in the early 80s!).

I think, in the UK, an M 135/3.5 could be had for about£30 (about$46), and I reckon the Bayonet is worth about 2/3 of an M - so £20, or about $31.

(Just to compare the two: the Bayonet is faster, but isn't good wide-open anyway, the M has superior optics and coatings, is compact and light, and they both have a convenient built-in lens hood.)

Anyway, I had a look on a certain Internet site, and I was amazed at some of the prices:

Cheapest M 135/3.5: over $80
Cheapest Bayonet 135/2.5: over $200

I'm sure an M could be had for a lot less than $80 if you're patient enough, but I don't think anyone's going to be prepared to let a Bayonet go for its actual value.

In other words, don't hold your breath waiting for a cheap Bayonet to come along!

I bought a very clean and tidy 135 3.5 with correct caps but no case for about £20 a couple of weeks ago in an 'antique centre' ( junk shop ! ), I bought 3 lenses for £45 and that was the expensive one.

I was at the Wolverhampton Camera Fair today and similar lenses were fetching £30, they were asking £40 but haggling brought the price down.
The only 2.5 I saw was a complete dog and the robber was asking £50 for it.

I got a virtually mint 28mm 3.5 with all the correct caps and case for £20, so the lenses are out there if you look around. There's no need to buy the first one you see.

The Camera Fairs are also held at Brighton, Sunday October 10th and Cambridge, no dates given, and talking to some of the traders they aren't as busy for them as the Wolverhampton one, so they might be a bit more amenable to bargaining.

Wolverhampton Camera Fair - The UK's Largest Independent Camera Fair

And pay the extra to get there early, the best stuff hasn't been snatched up and there's less smelly geeks to fight with!

09-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sherwood Quote
It's a bit OT, but... I've seen your review of this lens. I'm quite surprised. Is your XR Rikenon the same model as the Auto Rikenon ? The M42 Auto Rikenon 2.8/135 is often said to be a very good prime (same as the Sears and other brands ?).
I can only report what I found. I sorted out the internal reflections but the color shift and apparent slower speed are not good features. Lens is still sharp just not up to par with my other 135mm lenses
09-06-2010, 01:46 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I can only report what I found. I sorted out the internal reflections but the color shift and apparent slower speed are not good features. Lens is still sharp just not up to par with my other 135mm lenses
Thanks for your answer.
Well, I didn't want to criticize your review. I was just wondering if the XR Rikenon you mentioned in this thread and the Auto Rikenon are the same lenses ? I may be wrong, but I thought XR lenses were K-mount...
09-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sherwood Quote
Thanks for your answer.
Well, I didn't want to criticize your review. I was just wondering if the XR Rikenon you mentioned in this thread and the Auto Rikenon are the same lenses ? I may be wrong, but I thought XR lenses were K-mount...
XR Rikenon and Auto Rikenon (m42) 135mm lenses are both 4-4 lens solutions, but though I never seen the optical schematics of them I don't think they are identical optical solutions because the XR has a smaller minima focus distance.

09-06-2010, 11:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I bought a very clean and tidy 135 3.5 with correct caps but no case for about £20 a couple of weeks ago in an 'antique centre' ( junk shop ! ), I bought 3 lenses for £45 and that was the expensive one.

I was at the Wolverhampton Camera Fair today and similar lenses were fetching £30, they were asking £40 but haggling brought the price down.
The only 2.5 I saw was a complete dog and the robber was asking £50 for it.

I got a virtually mint 28mm 3.5 with all the correct caps and case for £20, so the lenses are out there if you look around. There's no need to buy the first one you see.

The Camera Fairs are also held at Brighton, Sunday October 10th and Cambridge, no dates given, and talking to some of the traders they aren't as busy for them as the Wolverhampton one, so they might be a bit more amenable to bargaining.

Wolverhampton Camera Fair - The UK's Largest Independent Camera Fair

And pay the extra to get there early, the best stuff hasn't been snatched up and there's less smelly geeks to fight with!
Thanks for the info, Lloydy, those camera fairs certainly look like they're worth going to (I'll have to see if I can think of a good excuse to make the journey!).

You certainly seem to have found a couple of bargain-buys on your visit!
09-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #21
Veteran Member

In total I got, the Tak' and the Soligor lenses, a mint set of M42 extension tubes, a Vivitar 285 flash, in it's box with all leads and accessories, 6 Cokin P series threaded lens adaptors, a handfull of lens caps and rear caps, a set of universal coloured cell's for a flash, a few filter step rings, a good monopod, 2 tripod quick release plates and a couple of T2 adaptors, all for £48 and £7 admission. The Tak' cost me £20, so the rest of the stuff was cheap!

It's worth the effort to get to a camera fair if you're looking for a particular lens, the prices are usually very good.
09-10-2010, 03:08 AM   #22

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I couldn't decide whether to get the 135mm takumar or 35-105mm Pentax A f3.5

Problem solved, I got them both

(gf may not like this)