Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FA77mm for M85mm owner?

I just purchased M85/2 (though it yet to reach me). Now I might get an opportunity to purchase FA77mm which is I always wanted. Since I recently purchase M85/2, what would you guys recommend, should I still go ahead and buy FA77mm?

I did search and found someone commenting that both are pretty close in IQ while in some other post, someone was favoring FA77mm. So I really love opinion from someone who have used both.

Thanks

09-03-2010, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I have both (why not??? ) and for IQ I would rate the FA77 higher, but not by a considerable margin. The M85/2 is very underrated and a joy to use. It has one drawback however: it shows CA easily in difficult lighting conditions (large blobs of blue CA around brighter objects). In normal conditions however, the output is definitely magical.

The first one was definitely shot wide open; the last one I do not remember. Click on the photo to enlarge.

Having said that: the FA77 is definitely better (sharper; less CA). But remember: it's still the photographer who makes the picture
09-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Buy 'em all, feed your LBA.
09-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suppose another thing to consider is if you prefer manual focusing or autofocus. My inclination is to advise you to get both and try them out for awhile. If you find you don't use one very much after two months, sell it.

09-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by foto guy Quote
I suppose another thing to consider is if you prefer manual focusing or autofocus. My inclination is to advise you to get both and try them out for awhile. If you find you don't use one very much after two months, sell it.
If have a chance to get a good deal on the 77, and you can afford to own both (even if it's just while you are deciding which you prefer long-term), then I say go for it. And as foto guy said, you can always sell one later when you figure out which one you prefer.
09-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, I agree, that's certainly doable. However, apart from that what makes you get 77mm if one already have m85/2.
09-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Yeah, I agree, that's certainly doable. However, apart from that what makes you get 77mm if one already have m85/2.
I've never owned the M85/2, but I would assume the most compelling reason to get the 77 over the 85 is if you wanted AF.

09-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #8

Another little advantage of FA 77mm over 85mm F2: you can use internal flash for occassional social snaps. With 85mm F2 the internal flash will always go full power because it can't determine the current aperture setting.
09-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sajah Quote
Another little advantage of FA 77mm over 85mm F2: you can use internal flash for occassional social snaps. With 85mm F2 the internal flash will always go full power because it can't determine the current aperture setting.
And of course with the M it isn't possible to use the fancy program modes of our cameras. But Av (provided that you shoot wide open the whole time) or M is your friend.
09-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm in agreement with the idea that the OP should try the 77 first and try to see if he likes it or it meets his demands.

although the easily obvious difference would be in the AF functionality, I dunno if it is particularly important for the OP to which focal length rendering he wants. the M85 has a different rendering than the 77 due to it's focal length implementation.

I tried the FA77 and liked it. I would had gotten myself one at it's existing pricepoint but my focal length preference and use pretty much leaning towards a bit of extra mm perfect and suitable for my portraiture needs and a balance between shallow DOF or bokeh and sharpness.
I own 4 lenses that run across that focal length namely J9, Rok85, M85 and S1-90 which have done some marvelous output. and I'm considering a Sigma 85 as well for that matter. if it doesn't work with the Sigma,I might push for the FA* 85. I'm not saying that the FA77 can't do portraiture, but there is something about the 85mm images that makes it more appealing for my taste.
09-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the limited range of the onboard flash, this is kind of a non-issue:

If you play around with apertures and shutter speeds for 20 minutes at the ISOs you want to use, it's real easy to come up with the correct combinations to give you good shots in manual mode.

For example:

I'm using an old manual Tak in M mode. I'm at 180 shutter speed, 400 ISO, and 5.6. Flash is up. I shoot. It's perfect, or I'm overexposed, in which case I shift to F8.

This combination will work for me in 90% of indoor shooting situations, give or take a hair or two and bracketing, between a few feet and the maximum footage the flash can handle.

In other words, there are pretty much some standard settings to be used indoors like this, especially when you're metering for skin color and it's percentage of grey. Regardless of the darkness of the room, you're still metering for that skin tone.
09-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The FA77 wins.

I sold both my M85/2 AND a Super Tak 85/1.9 to help finance my 77 Lmtd.

I have never looked back.

The 77 felt lighter, more correct on my K20D than the others. And while I would never say anything against the M and the Tak, the boket on the 77 is just plain perfect, critical focus is beyond tack sharp, and the added advantage of autofocus and auto aperture made the expense well worth it.

Some folks feel empowered and really smart taking killer portraits with a relatively inexpensive old lens. I did for a while.... but the ease of taking great images with a fully automatic lens just makes it a no-brainer for me....

Get the FA 77 and don't look back!
09-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
I sold both my M85/2 AND a Super Tak 85/1.9 to help finance my 77 Lmtd.

I have never looked back.

The 77 felt lighter, more correct on my K20D than the others. And while I would never say anything against the M and the Tak, the boket on the 77 is just plain perfect, critical focus is beyond tack sharp, and the added advantage of autofocus and auto aperture made the expense well worth it.

Some folks feel empowered and really smart taking killer portraits with a relatively inexpensive old lens. I did for a while.... but the ease of taking great images with a fully automatic lens just makes it a no-brainer for me....

Get the FA 77 and don't look back!
I couldn't agree with you more. Alternatively, I choose lenses for how they render an image - so that I don't have to do too much in post either and the 77 delivers with ease in this department.

c[_]
09-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
With the limited range of the onboard flash, this is kind of a non-issue:

If you play around with apertures and shutter speeds for 20 minutes at the ISOs you want to use, it's real easy to come up with the correct combinations to give you good shots in manual mode.

For example:

I'm using an old manual Tak in M mode. I'm at 180 shutter speed, 400 ISO, and 5.6. Flash is up. I shoot. It's perfect, or I'm overexposed, in which case I shift to F8.

This combination will work for me in 90% of indoor shooting situations, give or take a hair or two and bracketing, between a few feet and the maximum footage the flash can handle.

In other words, there are pretty much some standard settings to be used indoors like this, especially when you're metering for skin color and it's percentage of grey. Regardless of the darkness of the room, you're still metering for that skin tone.
Very nice, thanks! Never really thought to do that. Once, I needed to use flash and I was using a manual M lens. The first thing I tried was dialing down in-camera flash compensation, but it didn't help so I gave up. Shows that I need to experiment more and not giving up too soon

Last edited by sajah; 09-03-2010 at 09:04 PM.
09-04-2010, 07:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice, thanks! Never really thought to do that. Once, I needed to use flash and I was using a manual M lens. The first thing I tried was dialing down in-camera flash compensation, but it didn't help so I gave up. Shows that I need to experiment more and not giving up too soon
Well, its not just the built-in flash, though. With the M lens, you lose wireless P-TTL with off-camera flash, which is a bigger deal to me. I also find the built-in hood of the FA77 to be a big plus since I change primes frequently and hate keeping up with separate hoods. The convenience of hood use effectively raises lens IQ significantly. If I'm outdoors, I will probably take the M75-150 over the K135 2.5 just because I know that the screw-on hood for the K135 is a PITA and I may not use it where I need it.

I'd still like to have both, but if I passed on one, it would be the M85.

Last edited by GeneV; 09-04-2010 at 07:34 AM.