Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Sigma 500mm f4.5

Sigma 500mm f4.4

Can anyone who owns this lens please tell me what its like?
Is the screwdrive very noisy,is it handholdable,is it sharp?
Also if possible post some pictures with this lens mounted on a Pentax
Thanks Gary

09-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, I have it

I didn't find the screwdrive particularly noisy. Not noisier than my other screwdriven lenses. Of course, the Sigma has internal focusing so it does not have to focus large chunks of glass.

Handholdable? Yes, for a few seconds. Or longer if you have powerful biceps (I haven't). Actually this summer I have walked around with the lens (mostly carrying it while holding the tripod collar) for two hours and after that I definitely was exhausted. But it can be done... It's more transportable than the FA* 600/4.

Sharp? Hell yes, even wide open. But that's to be expected from a lens of this caliber.

Have a look at the Sigma lens review section in this forum. There you'll find a picture of my Sigma mounted to the K20D.

09-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ron over at dpreview (brandrx) has it and has posted tons of photos of sheep and other stuff with it. Try a search over there. Good luck.
09-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I read all these lens wants by folks who want Pentax to produce something longer, and here Sigma has, by all reports, a great 500mm, and this is the first time i've seen it discussed. Perhaps the $4000 price tag is slowing people down? But thats the problem with longer lenses - they are not cheap new.

The other problem with it, not a zoom. I have the DA-300 and love it, but the lack of a zoom has caused me to miss wildlife when it suddently shows up closer.

But anyway, kudos to Sigma in producing a lens this great for Pentax mounts.

09-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I read all these lens wants by folks who want Pentax to produce something longer, and here Sigma has, by all reports, a great 500mm, and this is the first time i've seen it discussed. Perhaps the $4000 price tag is slowing people down? But thats the problem with longer lenses - they are not cheap new.

The other problem with it, not a zoom. I have the DA-300 and love it, but the lack of a zoom has caused me to miss wildlife when it suddently shows up closer.

But anyway, kudos to Sigma in producing a lens this great for Pentax mounts.
There have been a couple of threads about it, see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/59187-sigma-50...est-shots.html

I have had it for a bit over a year now. It definitely continues to live up to my expectations. There is a bit more in the lens review section of this forum.
I have some pictures shot with this in my photo gallery.
09-04-2010, 02:57 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I have been shooting birds with it for about a month now. I only shoot birds. So i am a bit critical in the IQ. Dept. It has not let me down. It is fast auto focus and extremly sharp. I use it now with the dedicated 1.4x tc and i can't tell much difference. If it had a focus limiter it would be great. But it does not for Pentax.

The only problem is the Pentax cameras. The k-20 is ok. The K-7 is junk for birding and anything else in my opionion. The K-x is the only camera i use now. If you buy it, or crop heavily then you will see my point. The K-x is the only camera right now i would recommend for any serious work.

Here is a link to one of my newest gallerys. The first pics were with the 300mm f2.8 + 1.4x ( this is the best all around lens by the way ) Sharp as a tack. The last four or five ? are with the 500mm f4.5 and 1.4x Tc. I will be posting more to this link today after i process the birds from todays shoot.
Huay Tueng Tao ( Local park in Chiang Mai ) Photo Gallery by Gary at pbase.com

My main gallery is: Gary's Photo Galleries at pbase.com
All shot with pentax gear and Sigma 300mm or the 500mm.

It is worth every penny if you are serious about wildlife.

Good luck, Gary

Last edited by garyk; 09-04-2010 at 03:28 AM.
01-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi Gary ,
After having a good look at your pictures ,which are amazing, I have just purchased a Sigma 500mm f4.5 APO EX DG ,it was the last one in stock at Sigma UK.
Can you offer any hints on using it.
Also I already have a Sigma 1.4x converter ,
does the lens still autofocus with this behind it?
I have been using a Sigma 150-500mm HSM up till now
View my pictures at.
Flickr: ducatigaz's Photostream

Thanks Gary

01-22-2011, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

My buddy Frank testing out a brand new Sigma 500mm f/4.5 HSM belonging to another Pentax user today.
Focusing is definitely fast and quiet. Picture quality is phenomenal. What an awesome lens!!!