Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

LBA: DA21mm/f3.2

Dear all,

I have been looking for a 20mm AF lens for a while now, originally I was just concentrating on getting a FA20/2.8 since it can be used on film and is a faster lens. However due to its rarity and price I gave up. It is not until I got my DA70 last year that I started to look at DA21 seriously. My main concern was f3.2 but if you come to think of it, f2.8 is only about 1/2 a stop faster. I know for some people this half stop can mean a lot but not for me and most of the reviews I have read have been very favourable so I decided to go for it.

4. First shot from DA21, aka the LBA shot

5. Family reunion

7. Testing flare resistance

So far, I am very happy with the lens. The AF is fast, colour is to my liking and as I suspected, the f3.2 is fast enough for what I shoot. I will definitely be using it quite a bit since it is the only lens between my DA14 and FA28 (a very big gap).

For Melbournians interested in getting this lens, I got my lens from Camera House in the city but only for $625 (as opposed to their advertised price of $759). What I did was I emailed them the price from DigiDirect (a brick and mortar shop in Sydney with online presence Cheap digital cameras, SLR cameras, video cameras - Canon, Sony, Nikon, Olympus, JVC :: Digidirect Australia) and asked if they could beat the price and Camera House did. The person who handled my sale is Kellie Barnes.

Cheers
Kenny

09-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 21 is an amazing lens. I got it to act as a task force with my F50 and I don't regret it. It's not my most used lens (that would be the Sigma 17-70) but it's a great tool. Build, sharpness, contrast, colours, AF speed. Wow. With my two 50s it's what I have that delivers the best results.

Glad you like yoir lens. Mine makes me yearns for the other LTDs...
09-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was looking at this after I bought the 40 and the 70. But the price was over my budget. I settled for a 2nd hand (BTW all the other lenses above were 2nd hand, too) F28/2.8.
But that lens is not yet in my hands. maybe in a month or so. then I can post a few with it.

congratulations on the 21. I suppose the 15 will be next.

BTW, my favorite is the DA70.

Last edited by paugie; 09-03-2010 at 07:26 PM.
09-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
TKH
Veteran Member

Hi Kenny,

congrats for picking up this fine lens. Your pic 13. is great!

The DA21 is one of the best lenses for all-day-use. I think its much underrated in the Pentax world.

Its my official summer lens 2010...

Rainer

09-04-2010, 01:05 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Another new DA 21mm owner

I just got this lens last week, wanting a higher quality landscape lens than the kit 18-55. I have only taken it out around the neighborhood once so far. What I immediately realized is that with such a broad field of view, it is tricky finding worthwhile subjects in casual outdoor shooting in my Los Angeles neighborhood. Composition becomes much more demanding with so much coming into the background. I found myself shooting flowers only because the streetscapes of apartment buildings around me seemed so uninteresting. I'm sure it will be great in areas of natural scenic beauty, but I think it will take some time before I can figure out its usefulness for general purposes in other surroundings. Seems like for street shooting, one would have to get very close to a person to fill the frame to any extent, and with the K-x loud shutter, it is not exactly unobtrusive.
I'm going up to Morro Bay tomorrow and hope to stretch the 21's legs a bit up there.
Attached Images

Last edited by lectrolink; 09-04-2010 at 02:18 AM.
09-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I usually disregard this lens when thinking of prime for my wide-ish end but.... I may as well get it someday
09-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all your replies!

Paugie: I was tempted by D15 because of its size but since I have have already got DA14 I think I will pass, unless I win a lottery tomorrow, then I will get all the Limited lenses =)

TKH: nice shot!

Lectrolink: I agree with you regarding the field of view of 21mm. I am still getting used to it. I am finding myself re-shooting the same scene a few times because the angle/field of view did not quite come out the way I wanted.

Cheers
Kenny