Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2010, 08:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
I have a K-x. Has anyone tried the in-camera lens distortion correction feature? What is your experience? I know, this may be another thread or maybe I should run a search on it first. However, I think it's appropriate to ask here at this point. I have the 2 lens kit now (with 55-300mm), and maybe it would be useful there, but I'm especially curious about this vis a vis choosing between the Pentax and Tamron 18-255mm. This could be among the deciding factors when I acquire a lens, very possibly in the next few days. Or if the consensus is that it's more trouble than it's worth to turn on the feature, I'll not consider this a factor in making my decisions.
I have both a K7 and Kx and I have never used that feature (other than just trying it once to see what it was like). I think most people don't bother with it either. For one, it slows things down quite a bit when shooting (from what I recall). Second, it only works on JPEGS, not RAW files. Finally, I think the consensus is that taking care of distortion, all things equal, is better to do in PP.

Other people can chime in with their opinions as well, but I don't know that I would make that a huge factor in my decision.

09-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a K-x. Has anyone tried the in-camera lens distortion correction feature? What is your experience?
I use lens correction with the DA 18-250 and 18-55 only. The K-x does a great job of eliminating barrel distortion and decreasing CA. The superzoom particularly benefits from and needs correction. Most of my photos with the superzoom don't merit fussing with raw, so I shoot jpegs with lens correction. For serious photography I change lenses.
09-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I use lens correction with the DA 18-250 and 18-55 only. The K-x does a great job of eliminating barrel distortion and decreasing CA. The superzoom particularly benefits from and needs correction. Most of my photos with the superzoom don't merit fussing with raw, so I shoot jpegs with lens correction. For serious photography I change lenses.
Fair point. I had forgotten how much barrel distortion there was on the wide end of a super-zoom. I've been shooting mostly with primes and the 60-250 lately where the amount of distortion is pretty minimal.

Out of curiosity, does the extra time it takes to "process" the shot (in-body) after you take it affect you ability to take another shot? In other words, does it slow down consecutive shooting or does it just take longer to display the picture you just took.
09-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Fair point. I had forgotten how much barrel distortion there was on the wide end of a super-zoom. I've been shooting mostly with primes and the 60-250 lately where the amount of distortion is pretty minimal.

Out of curiosity, does the extra time it takes to "process" the shot (in-body) after you take it affect you ability to take another shot? In other words, does it slow down consecutive shooting or does it just take longer to display the picture you just took.
From memory, I think the barrel distortion of the 18-55 kit lens is about 2.5%, that of the 18-250mm about 3.5%. Edit: That's at the 18mm end!
- - - -
I'm curious too, of course, what the answer is to your question. I have heard that it does slow down burst mode shooting.

Last edited by Muse; 09-05-2010 at 07:50 PM.
09-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Forget about continuous shooting with lens correction turned on. It takes two or three shots at high speed and then stops. I rarely use continuous shutter release ,and I would not use lens correction for rapid-fire shooting (e.g. sports and wildlife)
09-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

From memory, I think the barrel distortion of the 18-55 kit lens is about 2.5%, that of the 18-250mm about 3.5%.
The 18-55 is 2.5% at 18mm, the 18-250 is 4.3% according to Photozone.
09-06-2010, 06:49 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is the Pentax 18-250mm better than the Tamron?
There are numerous threads on this subject, including a poll. I usually consider the Pentax DA 18-250, because I want to assure compatibility with the K-x, K-7, and future Pentax models. Tamron does offer the 6-year warranty, though.

Pentax or Tamron 18-250 Poll

Pentax-DA 18-250mm Zoom Lens Announced

Pentax vs. Tamron 18-250

Pentax 18-250 always same as Tamron 18-250?