Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by urje Quote
But the test shots I made, made me realise that I would never want to use a shot of it for anything serious, so it was rather useless. It seems to me that with this UWA adapter, the softness in the corners would prohibit me from ever screwing it on.
In general:
Distortion can be fun and useful. If perfectly photographic results are the goal, avoid optical adapters, especially cheap ones. If striking images are the goal, go for it! The aberrant margins can serve to isolate and highlight a sharp, contrasty central subject. Even vignetting can be gainfully employed in the right presentation. If the center stands out sharply, great. If the whole is a bit blurry, fire up the shooping machine and turn it into poster art. Or soften and pastelize it and call it photo-impressionism. Or shrink it so the softness isn't noticeable. Whatever.

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I was considering getting an adapter ring to go from 49 to 52mm to try the Raynox on my DA15 just for fun. But I suspect the hood of the DA15 would get in the way and I don't want to waste money on a project I couldn't complete.
To get an idea of the results of that (if it would fit), just distort in PP.

09-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Do they have 52 mm front filter threads?

I'll try to run the tests tonight or this weekend, I'm a bit busy right now.
no, but you could try a step-down ring if your raynox has a 52mm thread. hope it still works out especially you are cutting off some corners.
09-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I like the effect!

Reminds me of my poor-man's super-wide fix: I just slapped my DA 18-55 on my Program Plus. It looks COOL, and is fully functional in auto mode.
09-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #19
Forum Member

I was going to penalize you for the Dune series on top shelf, until I saw Douglas Adams and thought, well, okay

09-10-2010, 05:07 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zerodaze Quote
I was going to penalize you for the Dune series on top shelf, until I saw Douglas Adams and thought, well, okay
What's wrong with Dune? The original series, at least. The "prequels" sponsored by Herbert's son are among things I regret buying.
09-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
What's wrong with Dune? The original series, at least. The "prequels" sponsored by Herbert's son are among things I regret buying.
why? what's wrong with the prequels?

anyway, if you manage to finish the original series, I meant the last book, it was a very shocking ending or twist, eh?
09-13-2010, 04:57 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
why? what's wrong with the prequels?
YMMV, but I found them to be cheap sci-fi stories, not really creative or innovative, and certainly not up to the levels of the original series' level.

QuoteQuote:
anyway, if you manage to finish the original series, I meant the last book, it was a very shocking ending or twist, eh?
I read the original series up to the end of what Herbert wrote. Yeah, pretty impressive and unexpected ...

09-16-2010, 11:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

How about "cheap" Fisheye options?
- If needed icw e.g. a UWA lens like 10-20 or 50 mm prime
09-17-2010, 08:10 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
How about "cheap" Fisheye options?
- If needed icw e.g. a UWA lens like 10-20 or 50 mm prime
The Russian made Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 fisheye goes for under $200 new. That's probably the best bang for the buck. I've seen some very nice photos from it. MF only but it looks like a good value. I could see myself getting one at some point.

09-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Thanks, I also notice the Samyang 8 mm FE
09-17-2010, 09:14 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
The Russian made Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 fisheye goes for under $200 new. That's probably the best bang for the buck. I've seen some very nice photos from it. MF only but it looks like a good value. I could see myself getting one at some point.
Are you the same mattb who just won a Sears 135/2.8? The one with a note that it was just in your territory a few weeks ago, and now it's coming back to stay? I shipped it yesterday. And the Zen16 is a fine lens. On my recent long SouthWest trip I hauled about 25 lenses but my DA18-250 and the Zen16 saw the most action. I used my DA10-17 much less, especially indoors, mostly as the Zen16 is about 1.5 stops faster at that focal length. Don't leave home without it. (Nope, I ain't selling mine.)