Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC Takumar 50mm/1.4 problem

Hey, I just bought a used smc takumar 50mm/1.4 and, after it's arrived, I find out that...it won't meter properly; it'll only meter at wideopen with the green button, and when I removed it from my k-x, I found that no matter what I set the aperture to on the ring, it remained wide open. What's wrong with it ?

09-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

You need to set the Auto/Man switch on the lens to Man(ual). You next need to set your shooting aperture on the aperture ring on the lens before you meter (you can also use Av exposure automation with the lens stopped down).

The camera cannot stop down a Takumar lens.

It's not as cumbersome as it sounds. You open the aperture up to 1.4 and focus. You then stop down to the shooting aperture, meter and fire.
09-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's what I'm doing. It's not stopping down when I move the aperture ring; setting the aperture to f11 on the ring, metering, and shooting, still results in a wide-open shot.
09-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If the Auto/Manual switch won't move you need to press the small pin next to the square lug on the lens mount. The switch should be positioned so the red MAN. shows and AUTO is covered up. When you turn the ring the blades should open and close.

09-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If the Auto/Manual switch won't move you need to press the small pin next to the square lug on the lens mount. The switch should be positioned so the red MAN. shows and AUTO is covered up. When you turn the ring the blades should open and close.
Still a nope, the blades still won't move, on-camera or off.
09-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Trust your understanding of the mechanisms after you try ALL the above options. Set MAN and turn the aperture ring and push the pin in Auto mode. If there's a small, non-protruding pin on the base, experiment with that too.

If the lens won't stop down at all with the above advice, you may have shutter blades that are gummed up with oil. This is an easily fixed, but in my experience with this lens, unusual situation.

H2
09-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If it's relevant, when focussing there's a crinkly sound, as if there's plastic wrap inside. But yeah, still, tried everytihng above and nothing will make it stop down.

09-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
. . .when focussing there's a crinkly sound, as if there's plastic wrap inside.
OK. First, check the ethics of the person you got it from.

Second, decide how bad you want this lens.

Third, just how brave are you with a screw driver?

(Finally, have you ever heard of "Eric"?)

H2
09-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
He seemed like a pretty nice guy, he was the original owner of it and its accompanying ESII and bought it in the 70s. I found him off craigslist and went to his house to pick it up; I didn't notice the problem till I got home. He did say he would accept a refund (deadline tomorrow), though.

I quite would like this lens, yes. Not neccesarily if it'll cost me more money than just getting another one would be.

I don't have any particular skills in tinkering with small things with a screwdriver, but I'd be willing to give it a shot ,depending on the risk levels.

Heard of him around these forums, he sounds like a good, ethical repairguy?
09-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Camera Repair

Eric's email
pentax27@aol.com
09-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If the lens is off the camera the easiest way is to fit the rear cap, that pushes the pin and allows the Auto -Man switch to be moved, and aperture to be adjusted.
09-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #12
Inactive Account

That pin Should Force the aperture blades to move. If you've set it for manual you should be able to move the blades with the aperture ring. If it will not, I doubt this is Just an oil problem unless there is so much in there, you could lube your car with it. A Tak lens should not be making a 'crinkly' sound when you turn the focus ring. It is either bone dry, has dirt inside the mechanism, or both. If your seller is willing to take it back, I would take him up on it.

My 2¢