Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Filter question about the Sigma 10-20mm

A few weeks ago I bought the Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 and I love it!
My question is I notices that when I have a UV filter on it the
center of the filter touches the lens! I know that the lens is curved
out but does anyone know of a filter that will clear it? I have tried 2
different filters and both touch.

09-17-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter

check out hoya brand products.
09-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Don't use one !

The only two times you may want to use a filter are an ND (or maybe a polarizer in some cases) for specific shots, or a Skylight / UV to use as protection only and is removed when you commence shooting (with the shade being your stock protection).
09-17-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have not seen this on my copy, but in checking, I note I also use a hoya filter

09-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Don't use one !

The only two times you may want to use a filter are an ND (or maybe a polarizer in some cases) for specific shots, or a Skylight / UV to use as protection only and is removed when you commence shooting (with the shade being your stock protection).

Remember that is your opinion and we all have one. I do all my shooting near salt water and NEVER near the water w/o a clear filter (or CPL) on all lenses. My $35 filters are already have spots in the coatings from cleaning film off after a shoot. The $500-$1,200 have not a streak on them. Sounds like a good trade-off. But if I were a studio photog then yes, no filters would be used.
09-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by frattofoto Quote
A few weeks ago I bought the Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 and I love it!
My question is I notices that when I have a UV filter on it the
center of the filter touches the lens! I know that the lens is curved
out but does anyone know of a filter that will clear it? I have tried 2
different filters and both touch.
I've a Hoya Pro1D and it doesn't touch the front element.
09-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Find a calm lake or pond. Remove the UV filter. With a side-arm throw and wrist flick, see how many tjmes you can make the filter skip off the water :-)

Honestly, digital cameras are not affected by UV, and using the lens cap when not actually shooting will work just as well or better for protecting your lens.
09-17-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Remember that is your opinion and we all have one. I do all my shooting near salt water and NEVER near the water w/o a clear filter (or CPL) on all lenses. My $35 filters are already have spots in the coatings from cleaning film off after a shoot. The $500-$1,200 have not a streak on them. Sounds like a good trade-off. But if I were a studio photog then yes, no filters would be used.
I think it is almost universally accepted that filters (of any quality) degrade an image to some extent. Simple physics. Extra glass. I only use them if I am trying for a particular effect.

However, you are absolutely right in that near any environment that could foreseeably damage your lense then a filter is the only sensible option, in that case a high quality filter is a necessity - I use Hoya & Kenko. I have the filters but never use them on the lense when I'm shooting .......though I have to say I do quite like the sound of SpecialK's suggestion !