Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2007, 07:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma 17-70, great lens (2 images)

Managed to dodge the rain again today in an attempt to give my new Sigma 17-70 a try. I'm extremely pleased with the results - contrast/sharpness & colour are very good indeed.

The only negative is that Sigma don't seem to have designed the lens to adjust the UK weather

A couple of "Welsh scenes" from today - apologies for the lighting but it's the only kind we've had here in the UK this year !!

08-31-2007, 10:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

are these editted or not? were they shot raw? if they were shot jpeg what were your contrast settings?
08-31-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Those are great shots... that's the f/2.8-4.5 macro lens right?
08-31-2007, 11:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Shots were taken in RAW (why anything else ?) so have had some post-processing

To be honest I'm not trying to give a technical viewpoint, just saying that compared to my original 18-55 kit lens the Sigma is a big improvement

(it is the macro lens !!)

simon

08-31-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I support the comments made here. I have owned the 17-70 for some time and have been singing its praises all the while. A great lens as a mid-range cost lens. The macro is excellent, but tends to bring you VERY close to your subject.. I have almost shaken hands with spiders etc.
08-31-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful photographs. That lens is in skilled hands. Not to start a civil war among UK members of this forum or to offend any English and Scotts, but I have always thought Wales to posses the most beautiful of landscapes in the UK (which in general is a picturesque country.)
09-01-2007, 01:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wethphotography Quote
Beautiful photographs. Not to start a civil war among UK members of this forum or to offend any English and Scotts, but I have always thought Wales to posses the most beautiful of landscapes in the UK (which in general is a picturesque country.)
Thanks for the comments, hmmm - tricky one for me, I'm an Englishman living in Wales so to be on the safe side......

The scenery in Snowdonia in particular is fantastic, I'd put it about equal with the Lake District but have to admit I always find the West coast of Scotland completely stunning

...... think I got away with that one !

simon
09-01-2007, 03:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

does the lens resolve with that much contrast?
there is a lot of contrast there.
when i shoot weddings i go for lower contrast

...however when i shoot concerts i go for more.

so that was why i was asking about how you shot it.

if it is uneditted....
then what do you think about the contrastiness of that lens?

09-01-2007, 03:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
does the lens resolve with that much contrast?
there is a lot of contrast there.
when i shoot weddings i go for lower contrast

...however when i shoot concerts i go for more.

so that was why i was asking about how you shot it.

if it is uneditted....
then what do you think about the contrastiness of that lens?
Hi,

I can see your point
- as mentioned the images posted original have ACR4.1 contrast applied ( +35 ) & exposure/brightness etc & then they have been run through the Photoshop plug-in "Photokit sharpener" which optimises them for 800x600 web display.

Here is a completely original, unedited version - 0 contrast in ACR4.1 & 0 sharpening & other ACR4.1 default setting, not adjusted for exposure or brightness

Considering the lighting conditions were pretty awful the lens still produces good contrast & colour - the possibilities presented by further "tweaking" speak for themselves. Hope this helps !!

simon

09-01-2007, 03:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

ahhhh yes i love it.

8)

...thanks..andi must concede that i have weird tasts about pp

and i still havent got it all figured out yet

...now i have to go to bed.

long concert tonight and im tired