Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
loose lens hood on 31mm ltd

i've had my 31mm ltd now for about 5 months now. It gets tons of use and the hood has started to come loose and it rattles around a bit now. Any advice on what I can do about this? thanks!

11-01-2010, 04:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scathontiphat Quote
i've had my 31mm ltd now for about 5 months now. It gets tons of use and the hood has started to come loose and it rattles around a bit now. Any advice on what I can do about this? thanks!
Hello Scat .... whatever Sir, here is an easy fix. Get a tube of Araldite (or any twin liquid epoxy pack). Take 2 drops of each and mix it well. Use your fingers to apply a light coat around the mount diameter. Use a tooth pick to apply some to the (2) recessed split catch area - the tabs that click-locks into place on the lens groove.
Make sure it is a light coat - just a smearing touch, otherwise it will drip down.
Let it dry for 24 Hours. Then apply another coat. You are done.
Try attaching the hood to the lens. If it is still loose repeat the process.
Good Luck.
Please do let other Pentaxians know if this works.
11-01-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I cannot imagine using any glue on any lens. If something is coming loose, some screws have to be tightened. The FA31 hood feels a little loose due to the way the lens was assembled. But when you say loose hood, do you mean the hood is separating from the lens, or the whole front section is becoming loose? In either case, I strongly recommend sending the lens back to Pentax have it fixed asap. It will be an easy job, but not for average individuals who have no repair experience. Sadly, loose screws seem to be an ongoing issues with some Pentax lenses due to poorly applied threadlock in the factory. But once properly fixed, it should not occur again.
11-01-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I cannot imagine using any glue on any lens.
+1 . Especially not for the FA 31 mm. Maybe with a really old lens that you would throw out anyway. But I won't risk DIY with a lens such as the FA 31. Sending it in to get it straightened out would be the best bet.

Are you still using the push on cap that comes with the FA31? I've put a regular, inner pinch 58mm cap on it, no probs whatsoever with the hood. You could try that, save yourself cosmetic scratches on the hood, and no jarring it loose with repeated cap removal.

08-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
Forum Member

My lens hoods (16-50, 50-135) getting loose as well. Is there any other ways?