Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
Not Registered

advice on polarizers

I was thinking in buying a 77mm polarizer but I am overwhelmed for the amount of them and varieties. I want it for landscapes mainly. I would appreciate any advice about it

Thank you

08-31-2007, 08:39 AM   #2
sft

Photos: Gallery
There are many brands of varying quality. It really all depends on how much you want to spend.

Some Tips:
If you are getting it for a WA lens - get a thin framed one to avoid vignetting.
Usually better to stick to Multi-Coated Filters (Hoya, B+W, etc.)
The good ones can be expensive (especially for a 77mm) - ie. over $200 for a top-end Hoya Pro 1 Digital 77mm Circular Polarizer.

I can recommend a site called hvStar.com >>>Photo, Digital, Video Game ON SALE (MaxSaver; BestEastern; hkDirect; hvPhoto) - they are in HK and their prices are MUCH lower than in the US. Ie. a 77mm Hoya Pro 1 Digital is around $60-70 as far as I can remember and even with shipping it is much much less. You don't pay customs either - I ordered my filters from there to the US and got them no problems.

Another tip: get the Kenko Pro 1 Digital - it is the exact same product as the Hoya Pro 1 Digital but it costs $52. (the Kenko's and Hoya's are the same thing with the same coatings (DMC) and have only 5mm thick frames. They are really as good as it gets along with the top-end B+W's which are more expensive. The Kenko's are not sold in the US (only in certain parts of Asia) and is why they are cheaper than the exact same Hoya's.
08-31-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by sft Quote
There are many brands of varying quality. It really all depends on how much you want to spend.

Some Tips:
If you are getting it for a WA lens - get a thin framed one to avoid vignetting.
Usually better to stick to Multi-Coated Filters (Hoya, B+W, etc.)
The good ones can be expensive (especially for a 77mm) - ie. over $200 for a top-end Hoya Pro 1 Digital 77mm Circular Polarizer.

I can recommend a site called hvStar.com >>>Photo, Digital, Video Game ON SALE (MaxSaver; BestEastern; hkDirect; hvPhoto) - they are in HK and their prices are MUCH lower than in the US. Ie. a 77mm Hoya Pro 1 Digital is around $60-70 as far as I can remember and even with shipping it is much much less. You don't pay customs either - I ordered my filters from there to the US and got them no problems.

Another tip: get the Kenko Pro 1 Digital - it is the exact same product as the Hoya Pro 1 Digital but it costs $52. (the Kenko's and Hoya's are the same thing with the same coatings (DMC) and have only 5mm thick frames. They are really as good as it gets along with the top-end B+W's which are more expensive. The Kenko's are not sold in the US (only in certain parts of Asia) and is why they are cheaper than the exact same Hoya's.
For god sake sft, to visit that website is the best advice that I could receive now and it is just right in time . I just wanted to buy some NDs graduated and non-graduated, polarizer, etc and I was struggling to fit them to my tight budget. For what I read, people always advice B+H, Heliopan and Hoya but they were very expensive to me until you tell about this site. They have the best prices I have seen by far. And the best thing is since I have to buy several filters and adapters it will make the shipping fee more affordable.

Thank you.

BTW nice pictures in your website, how did you manage to make pictures of Tulum without people?, I was there a few weeks ago and it was plain and simple impossible.
09-01-2007, 03:32 AM   #4
sft

Photos: Gallery
No problem - glad you found the site helpful. It was actually recommend to me by other users in the dpr forum who used their services to get the filters, etc. from Hong Kong to the US & Canada. I had absolutely no problems with them either and both of my Kenko Pro 1 Digital 58 and 77mm Polarizer filters are excellent - and to top it off - combined they cost less than half as much as I would have paid for a single Hoya Pro 1 Digital 77mm Polarizer from BH.

Tulum - I was there in March of 2005 with my girlfriend - just got lucky I guess Real nice place though - we stayed in Playa Del Carmen.

Cheers