Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

Best m/f macro lens

Hi, i wanted to know what would be a good m/f macro lens for my pentax k7, my budget max would be around 300$usd. I dont mind if it is a/f but i figure it would cost signifincly much more. The macro lens focal lenght i am looking for is anywhere from 50-150mm, either m/f or a/f i want something that is really good for under the 300$ budget. If you can help me, that would mean alot. Thanks.

09-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recommend you take a look at our Pentax Lens Database. Just search for macro in the upper-right.

This is a nice MF macro lens, and cheap, too! SMC Pentax-M 100mm F4 Macro Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-06-2010, 01:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The reputedly best manual focus macro will blow one serious hole in your wallet. That's the Voigtlander Apo Lanthar 125mm f2.5. For your budget I'd be looking for a Kiron/ Lester Dine/ Series 1 Vivitar 105mm which is rebadged versions of the same lens manufactured by Kiron. Best price is the Kiron version for some weird reason.
09-06-2010, 03:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
The reputedly best manual focus macro will blow one serious hole in your wallet. That's the Voigtlander Apo Lanthar 125mm f2.5. For your budget I'd be looking for a Kiron/ Lester Dine/ Series 1 Vivitar 105mm which is rebadged versions of the same lens manufactured by Kiron. Best price is the Kiron version for some weird reason.
I don't think that the Voigtlander is the best. it's pretty much head to head with Bokina 90/2.5 and if I'm not mistaken the Bokina is even has a smoother bokeh and way cheaper than the Voigtlander. for the price of the Voightlander, I would just get myself the longer A*/FA* 200/4 macro, which has a killer resolving power.

I can't exactly say that the Kiron 105 is a budget macro, but atleast is within the OP's budget of $300 with a few sellers. although as I checked out recently, the price of this lens go past $300 nowadays.

I think he would be best suited for the Tamron 90 or Sigma 105.

09-06-2010, 04:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The Voigtlander is the best... I had it before and I got friends who have the Tokina... simply put the Voitglander is a lot better.
09-06-2010, 04:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I don't think that the Voigtlander is the best. it's pretty much head to head with Bokina 90/2.5 and if I'm not mistaken the Bokina is even has a smoother bokeh and way cheaper than the Voigtlander. for the price of the Voightlander, I would just get myself the longer A*/FA* 200/4 macro, which has a killer resolving power.
I have both Bokina and Voigtlander 125 and in my opinion Voigtlander is better. Better because:
- it is 1:1 out of the box, Bokina is 1:2 and you need to use special adapter to have 1:1 and than focus distance is quite narrow
- Voigtlander has good coating so no big issue to use it against sun. This is not the case with Bokina.
- Voigtlander has A position and is much more user friendly

Anyway both are great lenses.

btw. I think that average price for FA/A* 200mm Macro comparing to Voigtlander 125 is bigger 30-50%

But if anyone wants to exchange FA/A* 200mm macro - I'm ready

Vivitar Series 1 90mm 1:2.5 VMC Macro

Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO Lanthar
09-06-2010, 05:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Right now the OP'budget is just short of my entire macro setup which includes the following
- a miranda bellows modified to mount with a k-mount and accept T- mount lenses. Currently has a 135mm enlarger lens installed
- an SMC-M 100mm F4 macro with extension tubes
- a 50mm SMC Macro takumar with extension tubes and focusing helix

300 can get you a lot
09-06-2010, 06:58 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The FA 50mm f/2.8 macro lenses, while not that common, seem to land just around $300. That is a great lens, and does 1:1 macro, with auto-focus.

Re: Tokina At-X 90/2.5, I have never used the Voigtlander so can't compare. But My Bokina does have the "A" position. And pretty good coatings, as far as I can tell.

One can do macro much cheaper than $300, as Lowell suggests, with bellows or extension tubes. The M 50 and 100mm f/4 macro lenses should cost well under 300, for 1:2 magnification. And the Macro-Takumar 50/4 will do 1:1, all that requires is a M42 to K adapter. The whole set up is likely under $150.

09-06-2010, 07:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Piotr Quote
I have both Bokina and Voigtlander 125 and in my opinion Voigtlander is better. Better because:
- it is 1:1 out of the box, Bokina is 1:2 and you need to use special adapter to have 1:1 and than focus distance is quite narrow
- Voigtlander has good coating so no big issue to use it against sun. This is not the case with Bokina.
- Voigtlander has A position and is much more user friendly

Anyway both are great lenses.

btw. I think that average price for FA/A* 200mm Macro comparing to Voigtlander 125 is bigger 30-50%

But if anyone wants to exchange FA/A* 200mm macro - I'm ready

Vivitar Series 1 90mm 1:2.5 VMC Macro

Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO Lanthar
even if you trade both the Voigtlander and the Bokina, I would highly doubt anyone would exchange an A*/FA* for those.

with regards to pricing, I checked the price of both lenses and as far as Voigtlander and A* price average is concerned, they are both priced the same or the A* can be found cheaper if you get lucky.

this one got sold for around $365. whoever snagged it is one damn lucky basturd. >>> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/95957-sale-pe...00mm-more.html

I'm having a bit of a remorse for not getting it when it first came out. it took some time before it got sold. stupid me.
09-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
The FA 50mm f/2.8 macro lenses, while not that common, seem to land just around $300. That is a great lens, and does 1:1 macro, with auto-focus.

Re: Tokina At-X 90/2.5, I have never used the Voigtlander so can't compare. But My Bokina does have the "A" position. And pretty good coatings, as far as I can tell.

One can do macro much cheaper than $300, as Lowell suggests, with bellows or extension tubes. The M 50 and 100mm f/4 macro lenses should cost well under 300, for 1:2 magnification. And the Macro-Takumar 50/4 will do 1:1, all that requires is a M42 to K adapter. The whole set up is likely under $150.
I got the Vivitar edition. so I think the coating might be different from that of the Tokina version. both lenses are solidly built but the Vivitar is a bit nicer and better. I haven't really seen any traces of CA as of yet even under strong lighting, so that is very nice. and Yes, the 1:1 adapter can be a pain. although since I have the FD mount Vivitar, I don't use the macro adapter since the FD/K adapter serves as a TC which makes the lens a 125mm with an aperture open value of f3.2 or f3.5. I'm now debating whether to use it on a mirrorless APS-C or m4/3. although as of the moment, I'm leaning towards the m4/3 due to great IQ rendering by the m4/3, faster performance, brighter and larger EVF and LV mode. I hope Pentax releases something where I could fit this lens perfectly without any correctional optical element involved and great VF and LV..
09-06-2010, 08:29 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by A.M.92 Quote
Hi, i wanted to know what would be a good m/f macro lens for my pentax k7, my budget max would be around 300$usd. I dont mind if it is a/f but i figure it would cost signifincly much more. The macro lens focal lenght i am looking for is anywhere from 50-150mm, either m/f or a/f i want something that is really good for under the 300$ budget. If you can help me, that would mean alot. Thanks.
I have owned a Vivitar 90 2.5 1:1 macro and sold it on ebay for about $130 (only one bidder and a very pleased buyer). This was a non series one lens and still a very good lens. The lens was well built, solid and a good performer.

If your intention is only macro (as opposed to using the lens for non macro photography) than you can can get excellent results, on par with dedicated manual focus macro lenses in my opinion, by using enlarging lenses on inexpensive M42 manual tubes. You can expect to pay between $35 to $60 per per lens and about $20 for used tubes on ebay. That means you can have a 50mm, 80mm, 105mm, 135mm and tubes for less than $200. Focal length determines working distance and it can be nice to have a range of focal lengths to work with.

With either enlarging lenses or a manual focus prime macro, you will have to use a stop down aperture method to focus and then set the exposure aperture. A modern lens will of course automate the aperture for you. Focus is manual for macro, so no advantage with a modern lens for auto focus - most will turn that feature off for macro.

Comparing tubes with an 80mm lens to the Vivitar 90 and you will notice that the enlarging lens/tubes is much light. But the Vivitar allows you to modify the magnification without having to add or remove tubes.

Enlarging lenses are very sharp edge to edge, very light, and relatively inexpensive. Like a macro lens, they are optimized for sharp close focus.

Here is an article with some photos in case there is an interest. The article discusses the Vivitar 90 mentioned above and enlarging lenses. The lenses are mounted on a bellows, but you can substitute tubes just as easily. Tubes are less expensive than bellows and can be used like a prime macro lens.

https://sites.google.com/site/inexpensivemacrophotography/

Example of one of the older enlarging lens on a rain drop suspended from patio furniture.

Last edited by stover98074; 09-06-2010 at 09:21 AM.
09-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I will chip in that some of the sigma macro lenses are perfectly decent, even though they have AF i use my 180mm f/3.5 APO EX DG in Manual mode anyway. In my tests against my FA*200mm f/4 ED Macro the Sigma 180mm- it really isn't a fair comparison but the sigma delivers very high performance, but the pentax is simply in another league. The tripod collar on my FA*200mm f/4 ED macro is in need of repair and I have been putting it off for too long.
09-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The Tokina version has A setting. It also has superior coating compared to the Vivitar version. The Voigtlander is probably better, especially since you get a better working distance. The problem is that it costs as much as 3x as much.
09-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

On the bay: My M42 Vivitar 90/2.8 macro cost US$3. My M42 Macro-Takumar 50/5 (1:1) cost US$50. My used M42 and PK bellows each cost about US$40. My new M42 and manual PK tubes cost under US$10 per set. The various Vivitar, Industar, Wollensack, Rodenstock, Novoflex and other enlarger lenses at 50-75-90-105-140-160mm were an average of ~US$10 each. (EL-Nikkor's cost a bit more.) I splurged and spent US$70 for a Schneider Betavaron 50-125mm fixed-focus enlarger zoom which I use on 30mm extension for general photography and 40mm+ extension for macros, but it is VERY SPECIAL AND WEIRD. I think that's about US$300 total.

Oh, toss in another US$20 total for four mount-reversal rings (49-52-55-58 to PK) so I can use old Canon FD's and Petri's and Leitz's etc for macros. And throw in another US$50 for the Raynox DCR-250 (I shoulda got a -150 for more magnification). Anyway, it's a rather varied macro kit for under US$400. Oh yeah, I grabbed a Kodak Brownie Starmite with its Dakon lens (probably about 70/8) for half a buck at a rummage sale today. I'll disembowel it and stick the lens on a bellows, see if it gives me a nice old-timey-Holga look. But maybe that's not meant for macros...

The point is, you can do macro for a pittance. Start with tubes and an enlarger lens, or tubes and a reverse-mount adapter and any decent manual prime you may have, the glass in the 50-135mm range.