Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What's special about FA 28-70 & 60-250?

What's special about FA 28-70 & 60-250 to demand such a premium price?

Both the lenses in $1000 range while similar lens (say Tamron 28-75) is in the range of $300-$400.

I am not buying either - but just curious!!!

Yusuf

09-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
Inactive Account

The FA*2870 2.8 has been discontinued for 6 years,it's rare,furthermore the original manufacture lens is always more expensive than 3rd party lens.IMHO,there are some speculation behaviour about old version great lens because they are still not updated for DSLR.As you know,pentax have so many great lenses in 80s/90s.
09-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Two examples of high cost lenses, and different reasons for their high cost. The FA 28-70 is an F2.8, power zoom lens, and high quality/durability. But because of the power aoom and mfr methods of the day, also heavy, 800 grams or so. rare so prices go up.

60-250, WR, and high quality optics. also heavy 1100 grams or so. From everything i've read, this is the same high quality i've seen in my 50-135. sharpness, quality rendering, WR, all in one professional package.

I've seen a lot of posts asking for more Water resistant lenses, and it makes me shudder everytime :-) You don't get something for nothing. A WR lens costs more to design and more to build. Well, a new lens has to pay for itself in price, so those WR costs are passed along. Many consumers look at some of these expensive WR lens, and decide to pass, getting their 3rd party lenses, without WR, at a reduced cost. Don't get me wrong, i like my WR camera, i just don't think that having all WR lenses is as necessary, considering the cost. My only WR lens is the 50-135, and when the rain comes, i pull it out and use it. The long hood is particularly nice, like the one on the 60-250 in keeping droplets off the outer lens. (BTW, i don't think Nikon makes any WR lenses - and they seem to be attracting a lot of former Pentax owners these days - think about that)

Finally, you mention the Tamron 28-75 f2.8. A great lens, not WR, but the perfect tool for many indoor events and casual walk around. A nice everyday range from a little wide to a little long. I've been doing volunteer work for the last 18 months in taking promo shots for a live performance playhouse. I've tried primes only for this work, then a wide prime with the 50-135, but nothing works as well as the 28-75 range, on the camera 95 percent of the time. Weight is about 510 grams if i remember right, nicely under the other 2 lenses you mentioned.

Pentax - please build another 24-80? F2.8 lens for your customers - please, please, no WR on it. Keep it good quality and relatively inexpensive compared to the last WR zooms. Its a shame for you to defer these sales to Tamron and Sigma.

Good luck with finding that Tamron 28-75 :-)
09-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Actually the 18-55II & 18-55 WR have the exact same dealer cost.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #33 in compact camera forum. Enter #34. Any brand camera. Enter now!

09-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

WR costly?

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Pentax - please build another 24-80? F2.8 lens for your customers - please, please, no WR on it. Keep it good quality and relatively inexpensive compared to the last WR zooms. Its a shame for you to defer these sales to Tamron and Sigma.
I didn't see a price increase when Pentax introduced the WR series conversions, so I don't think Pentax is pricing based on cost of weather resistant manufacture. Rather they are charging what they think the market will bear.

IMO anything that reduces the amount of air and water travelling in and out of lens and camera is a good thing. I'm sick of cleaning.
09-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA* 28-70 is a legendary lens of good old times. Whether it is up to its status today is a matter of question and personal preference. I went to pixel-peeper and peeped. The color rendition and sharpness if stopped a bit from wide open are truly impressive. So is the general rendering.

I have both Tamron 28-75/2.8 and Sigma 24-60/2.8. So here is my unscientific comparison.

My copy of Tamron must be truly remarkable. It outshoots both Pentax (judging from what pixel-peeper shows) and Sigma wide open. The color rendition is slightly warmer and punchier than that of Pentax and Sigma and general rendering is a bit dirty for lack of better word. Sometimes the bokeh is a bit busy or harsh. It is not that the shots come out ugly. In fact, I've made more than 5,000 shots with my copy of Tamron and it is going strong both optically and mechanically.

Sigma is the lens I bought recently but used quite a bit already. It is less sharp wide open but 24 mm on wide end are really useful for me. The bokeh is more pleasant and more smooth. The colors are slightly different, more subdued. Close it even 1/2 stop - and it becomes bitingly sharp. Mechanically it feels more sturdy than Tamron, but Tamron is fine just as well. Tamron survived so many shots in so many different situations so that although it has more plastic in its construction I've nothing to complain about.

I had a chance to shoot with FA* 28-70 few years ago. It felt like a tank. Substantial, heavy, professional. Like I said, except some degree of softness wide open that may or may not be objectionable, it is just about perfect. But it is big and heavy and that power zoom function is not fully supported by modern cameras so there is this feeling of having paid for something you cannot put to use.

Just my pixels...