Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #16
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses. I know most use these lens for architecture, but my dilemma is I want to do interior shots where people may be included, and I want as little distortion as possible. I also do not want to have to manipulate each photo in post production. I wanted to see if a shift lens is feasible for this, or I just seek out the widest lens I can find with the least amount of distortion. Problem is, once you go wider than 35mm, they nearly all have distortion to a point. That is why I considered a shift lens.

09-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are lenses sold on ebay sold from Arsat (a company in Europe):

Arsat Arax MC 2.8/80mm TILT/SHIFT lens For Pentax K - eBay (item 170485358685 end time Oct-09-10 14:18:03 PDT)

I looked into them a couple months ago and they also sell a either a 28 or 35mm version on their website. There's a couple other brands out there that have them new (I believe Hartblei is one if I remember correctly). The Arsat ones have decent optics from what I read - probably an 8 or 8.5 on the scales in the lens review pages on this site. I say that based upon what I've read - I have no practical experience from which to judge so take that comment with a grain of salt and do your own research.

I've thought about getting one for landscape for better control of DOF. I think the Arsat was ~$350 and something I may one day get. It probably would get the results you are looking for as long as there was room for you to get everything in the frame.
09-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Thanks for all the responses. I know most use these lens for architecture, but my dilemma is I want to do interior shots where people may be included, and I want as little distortion as possible. I also do not want to have to manipulate each photo in post production. I wanted to see if a shift lens is feasible for this, or I just seek out the widest lens I can find with the least amount of distortion. Problem is, once you go wider than 35mm, they nearly all have distortion to a point. That is why I considered a shift lens.
For a wide that virtually eliminates optical aberrations, including distortion, try the K28/2. The floating lens elements do the trick when you close focus. Also the current Zeiss Distagon 28mm f/2 in Pentax mount, has the same optical design.

Phil.
09-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #19
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I just seek out the widest lens I can find with the least amount of distortion. Problem is, once you go wider than 35mm, they nearly all have distortion to a point. That is why I considered a shift lens.
Have you considered the SMC Pentax-A 15mm F3.5, as this is a rectilinear lens?

09-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Newly arrived, with a slightly different application: a Schneider PC-Cinelux AV MC 60/2.8 (fixed) for <US$20. Yeah, it's a projector lens with 360-degree shifts. Two rings up front: one controls the amount of shift, the other controls the shift location. I'll need to shorten its insertion tube, and bond it to an extra PK macro tube. Then it'll fit on my PK bellows and achieve infinity focus. No, it's not exactly wide-angle. But except for a homemade pipe-joiner lensbaby rig, it's about the cheapest PC around.
09-15-2010, 06:58 AM   #21
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Have you considered the SMC Pentax-A 15mm F3.5, as this is a rectilinear lens?
Cool, never knew that was a rectilinear lens! Unfortunately, it's going for $1400 and up on ebay, so it's much more expensive than the Pentax shift lens.
09-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #22
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Cool, never knew that was a rectilinear lens! Unfortunately, it's going for $1400 and up on ebay, so it's much more expensive than the Pentax shift lens.
Aye but it's wider and worth every penny.