Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Can someone give me a run down of how Manual Lenses work on K-7?

I am a bit confused here, I am looking at all of these manual lenses and I am a bit lost at what works with or without an adapter(which I heard makes the lens less sharp, well thats what I heard as a Nikon User). Also I heard that unlike on the Nikon you must set something in the camera, like to the mm value or something? What if its not a prime?

Help please, I am a Nikon user but only have a couple lenses, I use a D40 and was gonna get a D200 or D300 but the price of the K-7 and the price of the manual lenses peaked my interest.(They seem cheaper then Nikon Manuals) On my D40 the lenses seem to just worth(Manual Ones) I never really used newer ones, I would like to stick to manual but I will go with D200 if this is a problem.

In other words this seems comparable to a D300 for much much less and I am on a budget(aren't we all..)

Last edited by Abstract; 09-06-2010 at 08:42 PM.
09-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All K-mount lenses work with without an adapter, while all screwmount (M42) lenses with with an adapter.

See our lens database for complete listings of the two lens types: Comprehensive Pentax Lens Listings - Pentax Lens Review Database . Note that M42 lenses are very old, and thus, chances are that all the lenses you'll come across will be usable without an adapter.

Here is an article on how to actually use manual lenses with your camera:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-manua...7-k-x-etc.html

Here is a chart showing Pentax lens compatibility:
The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

And, finally, here's a listing of third-party K-mount lenses:
Third-Party Lenses for Pentax - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thats excellent news, I love the way the K-7 is built so I might go with it, So lenses that are lets say 70-200 will work perfect if they are K mount? This is not only for prime right? Like I don't have to set the mm in settings(which might be impossible for variable mm)
09-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Setting the focal length is for the benefit of the SR system, so it knows how much it needs to compensate. There have been a number of threads discussing what to enter for zooms, but there's no one right answer. Entering a number that is much too high is bad, so most people enter something toward the middle or lower end of the range. SR might not work optimally, but it's still better than nothing (unless you enter a number way too high).

09-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Oh is that all, I have very steady hands, Have used a huge 70-300mm Nikon with no Shake reduction for a year now with perfect clarity at 300 so I probably would not care so much about that.

Thanks!
09-07-2010, 05:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Abstract

No offense intended but shake reduction is not about shooting a 300 mm lens at 1/300. It is about shooting this lens at perhaps 1/100 or 1/50

Using shake reduction I posted a shot with a 500 mm lens at 1/40 hand held. Without shake reduction it would be impossible.

Do not under estimate it's usefulness
09-07-2010, 06:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Also note that M42 lenses can be used on K-mount cameras with no loss of optical quality. With Nikon, the adapter will have a lens in it (which can bungle the optics); with Pentax, there's no lens to get in the way, just a mechanical coupling.

09-07-2010, 07:00 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No offense taken, that I do know, but for the most part I carry a tripod with me if I am doing night photography(Or maybe something like a waterfall) which is really the only case I ever see myself taken that low of shutter speeds. Bigger lenses are usually harder to stabilize I have been told by several people at those Shutter speeds, I guess thats what I meant, sorry that I was not to clear.

Yeah I know Nikon was like that, good to know that it has no effect on quality, I have seen some Nice M42 ones on ebay, honestly I like older glass better, they seem stronger and I have never been one to use auto so this is pretty great news to me, thanks a bunch!
09-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
No offense taken, that I do know, but for the most part I carry a tripod with me if I am doing night photography(Or maybe something like a waterfall) which is really the only case I ever see myself taken that low of shutter speeds
I think you'll be surprised at how often it actually comes up, though. Not just night, but even heavily overcast cloudy days, shooting in deep shade, dusk, shooting indoors (in rooms large enough to need a lens that long), etc. Sure, you ca raise ISO to insanely high levels to get the shutter speed up in those situations - but with SR, you won't necessarily need to so much.
09-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I think you'll be surprised at how often it actually comes up, though. Not just night, but even heavily overcast cloudy days, shooting in deep shade, dusk, shooting indoors (in rooms large enough to need a lens that long), etc. Sure, you ca raise ISO to insanely high levels to get the shutter speed up in those situations - but with SR, you won't necessarily need to so much.
Oh without a doubt, it is a nice feature to have and I am sure I will use it. I honestly never went above the 200 iso on my D40, Noise bothers me more then it should really :ugh:. I try my best to make it stable, I even sometimes use a sting tripod, maybe I won't have to bring that along anymore . This looks like an excellent camera though, I am gonna still use my D40 but I am gonna replace the sensor so that it only picks up infrared I think....Seems like a good move, always wanted to do that.

Are there any drawbacks to the K-7, I compared it to the D300 and this seems very comparable espicially image quality and features wise, It seems to best the D300 here: Análisis K-7 vs Nikon D300 vs Canon 50d vs K20D vs K10D (review) in some areas.