Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2010, 10:53 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking for M42 wide angle maual lens

I recently got two Takumar lenses, a 55mm f1.8 and 135mm f3.5

I was looking at the Takumar 28mm 3.5 lenses as i'm looking for something near the 28mm range, but I was wondering if there are any other low cost lenses that I should consider?

I want an M42 so I can use it with my Spotmatic or K10D

09-07-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

1) Search eBay CAMERAS & PHOTO for Takumar, SMC, M42, Vivitar
2) Note everything under 30mm
3) For each item noted, check the LENS REVIEWS database here for evaluations

28mm ain't really wide in digital, it's 'normal' for an APS-C sensor like your K10D.
24mm would be pretty wide on your Spotty, and a good landscape size for APS-C.
21mm is wide. You can find M42 21/3.8's branded as Vivitar, Lentar, etc pretty cheap.
20mm and wider are expensive, because not many M42's that wide were ever made.
16/2.8 Zenitar is great if you don't mind fishiness, and M42's can be found for <US$200.
09-07-2010, 12:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dj_saunter Quote
I recently got two Takumar lenses, a 55mm f1.8 and 135mm f3.5

I was looking at the Takumar 28mm 3.5 lenses as i'm looking for something near the 28mm range, but I was wondering if there are any other low cost lenses that I should consider?

I want an M42 so I can use it with my Spotmatic or K10D
Vivitar have "made" some decent 28mm lenses. (Just in case you're not aware of this, Vivitar don't actually make their own stuff, they commission various lens manufacturers to supply them with lenses to their requirements.)

I have two Vivitar 28mm (f2.8) lenses in M42, made by Tokina and Komine (perhaps the 2 most respected Vivitar suppliers). (You can tell who sourced the lenses by looking at the serial number - Tokina start with "37", Komine with "28".)

My Tokina is actually a TX mount lens, is pretty sharp, but flares like nothing else on this planet - and for this reason I cannot recommend it.

The Komine is almost as sharp, and has reasonable flare control. How it would compare with a Tak 28/3.5 I don't know, but I think it just about beats my SMC-M 28/2.8 in terms of sharpness.

By the way, I hope you're getting on well with your Tak 135/3.5 (which I think you will have bought following discussion on another recent thread)!
09-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I bought a SMC Tak 28 f3.5 a couple of days ago to use on my K10, and so far I'm loving it.

It's easy to use and has given me some good pictures, I'm looking forward to some great ones.

09-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 for the Vivitar option. There are a huge number of posts on this forum related to the Vivitar 28mm lenses. They have become somewhat of a cult classic, but prices have generally remained fairly low.

Having given the Viv the vote, I would also suggest that the Takumar 28/3.5 is pretty hard to beat. I had the privilege of shooting with one a few months ago and can report that it is a solid pleasure to shoot with. While it has some barrel distortion, it is very sharp with admirable contrast. A great lens. Here is a link to photos (all film) on my Flickr photostream taken with the Tak 28:
Flickr: Search fotostevia's photostream

Steve
09-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I picked up a very nice vivitar 28 mm F2.5 for $9.00 check the thread on all the vivitar 28 mm lenses there ate some good ones out there
09-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Tamron Adaptall-2 24/2.5 and 28/2.8 are generally very good in the outdoors/landscape role and can be economical if used with the PK adapter (which is quite practical for that application). The 28mm + PK adapter might run about $50 on the Bay and the 24/2.5 closer to$100+.

H2
09-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The adaptall 28 mm f2.8 cost me $13 plus adaptor. Screw mounts are cheaper than adaptall 2 and my impresion is that the vivitar f2.5'is better

09-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Horse race

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
. . . and my impresion is that the vivitar f2.5'is better

In my case, the Tammy Adaptall wins by a nose but I have to compare the images side-by-side to notice. I'd be more likely to give up the Vivitar 28/2.5 (Kiron) by personal preference.

H2
09-08-2010, 12:13 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
In my case, the Tammy Adaptall wins by a nose but I have to compare the images side-by-side to notice. I'd be more likely to give up the Vivitar 28/2.5 (Kiron) by personal preference.

H2
If nothing else, the Tamron 28/2.5 is a lot smaller and lighter than the Vivitar 28/2.5 (Kiron). One thing to be aware of with the M42 Adaptall mount is that it lacks the A/M switch so use with both a M42 and K-mount body requires both adapters.

Steve
09-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot:
If nothing else, the Tamron 28/2.5 is a lot smaller and lighter than the Vivitar 28/2.5 (Kiron).
That's for sure! And one of the deciding factors in my preference too.

QuoteQuote:
One thing to be aware of with the M42 Adaptall mount is that it lacks the A/M switch so use with both a M42 and K-mount body requires both adapters.
I missed your point here regarding the A/M switch, Steve. Since all Adaptall lenses have aperture rings there's always some way to make it work if you have the appropriate adapter for the body. I've used the Adaptall lenses with every combination of adapters and mounts I can imagine including LENs > Adaptall M42 > M42-K adapter just to get the darn thing mounted on a K-body when I didn't have a PK adapter handy.

H2
09-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote

...I missed your point here regarding the A/M switch, Steve. Since all Adaptall lenses have aperture rings there's always some way to make it work if you have the appropriate adapter for the body. I've used the Adaptall lenses with every combination of adapters and mounts I can imagine including LENs > Adaptall M42 > M42-K adapter just to get the darn thing mounted on a K-body when I didn't have a PK adapter handy.
If you use the Adaptall M42 adapter and then mount to a K-mount body using a M42/K-mount adapters (lens is double adapted), the lens cannot be stopped down. The reason is that auto-aperture M42 lenses are normally wide open until the aperture actuation pin is depressed. The A/M switch allows those lenses to be forward compatible to K-mount bodies by providing manual aperture as an option. Lens that lack the switch (e.g. several Helios 44M-x models, M42 Adaptall, and others) must be shot wide open or surgically altered to manual aperture operation.

Steve
09-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The reason is that auto-aperture M42 lenses are normally wide open until the aperture actuation pin is depressed. . . . must be shot wide open or surgically altered to manual aperture operation.
Oh, yeah. Good explanation, Steve. I forget that I cheat a lot with lenses. I've been known to cut bull calves too.

H2