Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2010, 04:44 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What would you recommend

Hello,

i have a pentax K-X, with the kit 18-55.

I want to buy lenses with a better aperture, and also a telephoto lens..

I was looking for a cheap used one for the beginning, and then decide what exactly i want in the future.
But i dont know how to search for cheap ones, as on ebay, you have to search with the specific name of lens.

Any specific help from anyone?

09-07-2010, 04:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

How cheap? How telephoto?
09-07-2010, 05:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

best place to start.. is the lens review(s) here in the forum.... fwiw... i've found that there are few really good lenses, relatively cheap... with the caveat that if you're looking for af lenses...
you can get some nice manual lenses for less $$$, but will require more work.... i.e., manual focus et al........ a super telephoto for a decent price is the pentax 55-300mm...
the 18-55 you have is not an awful lens... many forum members use it, some with wonderful results... note that your k-x can correct barrel distortion if using pentax da lenses....
the pentax 16-45mm lens can be had for less than 300-, and if you can find a sigma 24-60mm f2.8, it is also a very good performer.... and reasonably priced....
best of luck, dave m
09-07-2010, 06:22 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Cheap and better aperture (I assume you mean faster lenses) do not fit well together in the same sentence unless you are stating they are difficult to find. You should probably describe what you photo needs are if you want help. Suggestions will then come.

09-07-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Cheap and better aperture (I assume you mean faster lenses) do not fit well together in the same sentence ...
Unless not MF. But I agree. You should state what do you want the lens(es) for, whar's your budget (or how far are you willing to push it) etc.... Then we could give more/better opinions/advices.
09-07-2010, 07:26 AM   #6

For telephoto, it is very hard to beat the Pentax DA 55-300 without spending a lot of money.

For fast aperture, the Sigma 50mm f1.4 is about the same price as the Pentax FA 50mm f1.4 but is sharper wide open and has 'quick shift' focusing and a 'silent' HSM AF motor.
09-07-2010, 07:27 AM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
Basically we are going a lot of trips around our country and if we dont we just gather with relatives and i take a lot of pics of children.

And i would like to test also other lenses at nature or closeups or animals etc...

But since i am not a pro, i dont want to spend a lot of money. Even old and used ones would suit me as a start...

If i take an old MF lens, would only the manual focus be the issue? Any other things would still be usable on the k-x?
09-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by fekish Quote
If i take an old MF lens, would only the manual focus be the issue? Any other things would still be usable on the k-x?
If you get a Pentax A lens (e.g. the A 50mm f1.7 which is very popular) then you will need to manually focus, but everything else (metering, flash, etc.) will still work.

09-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #9
Banned

Original Poster
thanks, i wouldn't mind so much on the focus side, i was thinking maybe the camera wouldnt connect well for measuring exposure...
09-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax A 70-210 F4.0

Hello,

i have a pentax K-X, with the kit 18-55.

I want to buy lenses with a better aperture, and also a telephoto lens..

I was looking for a cheap used one for the beginning, and then decide what exactly i want in the future.
But i dont know how to search for cheap ones, as on ebay, you have to search with the specific name of lens.

Any specific help from anyone?
I don't know how much reach you want, but I can highly recommend the Pentax A 70-210 F4.0. This is a manual focus lens, but from your later posts I don't think you would mind that much. It does have auto aperture so you can control that from the camera which I find to be a big help. It is quite sharp throughout it's zoom range, and at a constant F4.0 aperture it's not terribly slow. It's not terribly fast either but if you want F2.8 speed you have to be willing to spend a WHOLE LOT more. In addition it has a "macro" (read close focus) function at 70mm which is an added bonus
Reviews can be found here at our Pentax Lens Review forum:
SMC Pentax-A 70-210mm F4 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database
Unlike some reviewers, my copy does not suffer from "zoom creep" in any big way. It is a fairly common lens, you should be able to find a copy here on our market place, at KEH or on eek bay without too much trouble or wait. It took me 3 weeks to find mine.

Some samples:

NaCl(a bit on the heavy side but sharp and inexpensive)H2O
09-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
thanks, i wouldn't mind so much on the focus side, i was thinking maybe the camera wouldnt connect well for measuring exposure...
See the sticky thread at the top of the beginner's forum for more on how to use manual lenses. "A" lenses are definitely easier, but they are also harder to find (in most case) and more expensive.

There have been quite few threads in boht of these forums (lens and beginner's) on choosing fast lenses and choosing telephoto lenses - I would *strongly* suggest you search/browse for them to at least familiarize yourself with basic options and trafeoffs. Then maybe you'll have more specific questions you might want to ask. but right now, your question is kind of too broad too answer, particular regarding the faster lens. You will quickly realize that to get a faster lens that doesn't cost more, it will generally need to be a prime, not a zoom - and that means you need to figure out what focal you would find most useful. Lots of people suggest manual 50's because they are extremely cheap (under $50), but many people find they don't really like the focal length.
09-07-2010, 05:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I wouldn't get a 50mm right now. While I love my A1.7, it would be too long for family snaps and too short for wildlife. I'd get the Pentax A 28mm 2.8. They're rather cheap. 21/24mm is my favorite wide but for hundreds more, not worth it.
09-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

hi fekish,I just want to ask why do you want a fast lens or do you really need it badly?

since you are looking for a telephoto, a good idea would be to get a telephoto zoom instead.

the DA55-300 would be a best bang for the buck AF zoom lens with quality. although it does not have better aperture speed, it is a fantastic lens by it's own right. I have the FA135/2.8 which is an awesome telephoto lens, believe me, the DA55-300 at 135mm does not lag that far behind in terms of image quality. and it would be extremely useful at varying focal lengths. besides, you can have it for $300 or less. you can't ask for more than that.
09-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #14
Banned

Original Poster
Basically, i dont want to spend too much $$$ for lenses as a start point... And since for now i am shooting more indoors, i want to check a 28mm first and then go to a telephoto...

I dont know if i am correct or not, but i always think whatever i get, is something that would help me learn more for photography...
09-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #15
Pentaxian

The newly announced DA35/2.4 is probably the best answer for the first of the two lenses you seek.