Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,425
Is zoom on 85-105 good for portrait?

I read Scott Kelby book on 'digital photography' and in once chapter about portraits, he mentions that 'pro' likes to have the zoom range of 85-105 (roughly recollection) for portraits. I am newbie to dslr and I want to gather others' opinion on having a longer zoom for portraits. Will that be too long for portraits? And if you also like that range for portraits, what pentax lens you recommend and why you like that zoom range for portraits?

Thanks,
Hin

08-31-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Outside of Philly
Posts: 1,564
You have the 50-200mm. What do YOU think of using the 85-105mm range for portaits? Everyone has their own style of photography, the best way would be to go out and shoot!
I like using everything from 28mm - 200mm (and sometimes >200mm). Heck, I'll even sometimes use my 10-20mm So I guess I'll like anything from 10-300mm
08-31-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member
bdavis's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 'Burque, NM
Posts: 309
Using a longer lens for portraits generally reduces distortion (a good thing, and likely important to your subject) at the expense of usually increasing your working distance to the subject. It wouldn't hurt you to try it.
08-31-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,425
Original Poster
I like that range of zoom

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
You have the 50-200mm. What do YOU think of using the 85-105mm range for portaits? Everyone has their own style of photography, the best way would be to go out and shoot!
I like using everything from 28mm - 200mm (and sometimes >200mm). Heck, I'll even sometimes use my 10-20mm So I guess I'll like anything from 10-300mm
I ask because I lack experience and I may be liking the zoom with some bad practices down the line and that is why I like to hear opinions from others. I do like the 50 to 90 zoom range when I try to shoot indoor portraits with my younger boy who reacts very nicely to my camera. And I remember Scott Kelby do mention about professional liking that range for less distortion on photos.

Most pictures are shot in the range of 50 to 90 in the following mosaic with my DA 50-200



Some thoughts in this blog post

Portraits with Pentax DA 50-200 - Hin's Tech Corner

Thank you,
Hin


Last edited by hinman; 08-31-2007 at 09:12 PM.
08-31-2007, 08:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,428
The range of 85-105mm is generally the classic portrait lens length - in 35mm equivalent. That works out to about 55-70mm on your Pentax.

Wide angle makes a big nose and small ears. Long lenses make a flat and fat face. Something in the middle is normally more flattering.
08-31-2007, 09:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member
jfdavis58's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 13 S 0357397-3884316
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 876
I've completely lost my patience for photo forums because of questions like this. It's not a bad question, after all, you're a novice by your own pronouncement so you could probably use some advice.

Someday soon I hope the answer smacks you in the face--not, mind you because I would get more entertainment value or that I might really like seeing you or some people get smacked in the face (which, by the way, I do really enjoy), but rather because when the answer smacks you in the kisser you won't need to ask question that annoy so much.

So I'm going to actually answer your question--that's something new for me lately, I much prefer leaving people dazed and confuse. (Believe it or not, I can evolve.)

So here it is (got a pen and paper? You'll need to write this down!): Portraiture in particular (and photography in general) is NOT about magic numbers---it's about vision. Yea, yea, portraits really work with expression-that old (ESP) expression sells portraiture thing; but vision is still prime.

Your photography, your vision.

Uh, still puzzled? what if you don't have or didn't use the right lens? Oh my gosh and dang it all--


-----


----------well, heck; that's just too bad isn't it?



QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I read Scott Kelby book on 'digital photography' and in once chapter about portraits, he mentions that 'pro' likes to have the zoom range of 85-105 (roughly recollection) for portraits. I am newbie to dslr and I want to gather others' opinion on having a longer zoom for portraits. Will that be too long for portraits? And if you also like that range for portraits, what pentax lens you recommend and why you like that zoom range for portraits?

Thanks,
Hin
09-01-2007, 12:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member
lapeen's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangor, maine
Posts: 379
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
I've completely lost my patience for photo forums because of questions like this. It's not a bad question, after all, you're a novice by your own pronouncement so you could probably use some advice.

Someday soon I hope the answer smacks you in the face--not, mind you because I would get more entertainment value or that I might really like seeing you or some people get smacked in the face (which, by the way, I do really enjoy), but rather because when the answer smacks you in the kisser you won't need to ask question that annoy so much.

So I'm going to actually answer your question--that's something new for me lately, I much prefer leaving people dazed and confuse. (Believe it or not, I can evolve.)

So here it is (got a pen and paper? You'll need to write this down!): Portraiture in particular (and photography in general) is NOT about magic numbers---it's about vision. Yea, yea, portraits really work with expression-that old (ESP) expression sells portraiture thing; but vision is still prime.

Your photography, your vision.

Uh, still puzzled? what if you don't have or didn't use the right lens? Oh my gosh and dang it all--


-----


----------well, heck; that's just too bad isn't it?
I think if I were Hin.... I'd have preferred it if you hadn't "evolved"

Didn't your Mom teach you that if you can't say something nice not to say anything at all???
09-01-2007, 05:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,425
Original Poster
Please ignore him

Thanks for the comment. And I chose not to answer so that he does not get the luxury of intimating and provoking others. If you look at his past history, he has not evolved a single bit.

Thanks,
Hin

09-01-2007, 07:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member
bdavis's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 'Burque, NM
Posts: 309
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I ask because I lack experience and I may be liking the zoom with some bad practices down the line and that is why I like to hear opinions from others. I do like the 50 to 90 zoom range when I try to shoot indoor portraits with my younger boy who reacts very nicely to my camera. And I remember Scott Kelby do mention about professional liking that range for less distortion on photos.
Oh geeze. Hin, most of the posts in this thread (yes, even the ones you choose not to respond to) prompt you to do. it. your. way. There isn't some magical way of doing things that is 'correct' or the 'professional' way to take portraits.

Any one who tells you otherwise is full of shit. The pictures of your son look fine; a couple of them are interesting, pleasing, and "good". Stop letting the fear of somehow doing it wrong cripple your ability to take the picture.

Oh, and Kelby is a wiz at photoshop. As far as photographers go? There are better.
09-01-2007, 08:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member
jfdavis58's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 13 S 0357397-3884316
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 876
Well, you're welcome anyway.

But please, no intimating; I'm happily married.


QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Thanks for the comment. And I chose not to answer so that he does not get the luxury of intimating and provoking others. If you look at his past history, he has not evolved a single bit.

Thanks,
Hin
09-01-2007, 09:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member
jfdavis58's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 13 S 0357397-3884316
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 876
My mothers favorite quote wrt raising me: "To thy own self, be true".

Take your blinders and colored glasses off for a moment and see that that is exactly the advice I passed along...


QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote
I think if I were Hin.... I'd have preferred it if you hadn't "evolved"

Didn't your Mom teach you that if you can't say something nice not to say anything at all???
09-01-2007, 09:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member
jfdavis58's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 13 S 0357397-3884316
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 876
Hinman, et al:

Back when Pentax Forums was a 'new thing', all the usual questions got posted along with all the usual answers. This question of yours, while new to you, with your own variety of spin (don't wanna make a mistake) IS IN THAT GROUP OF QUESTIONS. It's also in just about every beginner's book ever published. It's part of every competent instructors teaching plan; it's standard fare from any camera salesperson. It's stock in box simple and safe.

Eighty-five to 105mm is the typical studio portrait lens:
>>>>It works well with typical studio light operating distances,
>>>>It's convenient as to room size requirements,
>>>>It gives easy to reproduce effects as to typical face size and proportion,
>>>>It's a short distance for the photographer to traverse to flick a hair into place or correct a posture.

>>>>Et cetera.

In short it gives the expected cookie cutter image that everyone expects.

So hey, if you, hinman, or any et al wants to be and remain as dull as dirt and you're looking for some public blessing, please-please-please accept mine as part of that group---part of my evolution is to learn to accept those following the herd mentality. Makes it a lot easier for me and my work to stand-out, get noticed and (most importantly) sell. It puts the ignore in the ignore list! (Turn-about-is-fair-play!!!)

Ignorance is bliss;


may you have a blissful existence.
09-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #13
roy
Inactive Account
roy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: D/FW area, Tx.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,712
hinman,
i think what
jfdavis58 (john) is saying is to go out and use your camera. use it the way you want to. since you're new you are going to have to develope yourself into a style and way of shooting that denotes YOU. in other words, go out and shoot. no one can tell you how to shoot. you're going to have to find it yourself.

john, i don't see why you are so abrasive. narcissism? perhaps? i've noticed this in other posts you've made. let the people up off their knees bowing. they're probably tired.
09-01-2007, 08:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,425
Original Poster
Thank you for the comment

Roy,

Thank you very much for the comments. I truly hope that is the idea that John try to convey to me. I want to thank him for his reply and his honest opinion but it is so hard to do with all the condescending words in 'smack in the face', 'blisss with ingorance', 'dull as dirt', and all others in his reply.

He may be the best photographer that I am yet o aspire to but with his comments, it discourage me to see his point of view and perhaps his outstanding works. I appreciate everyone's input and I certainly treat everyone with respect as good friend and teacher and that includes John as well. And I will try to learn not to ask dumb question but it is hard to do for a newbie in me moving from p&s to dSLR.

The reason for my dumb question comes from my quest for portrait lens for indoor, when I ask that question before in other forum, all suggestion go to either FA 50 f/1.4 or FA 35 f/2.0 and little has been discussed on longer focal length. And in my own try out of DA 50-200, I really like the range from 50-90 but my da50-200 falls short in being slow for indoor use.

Looking for portrait lens
Pentax Protrait Lens - Hin's Tech Corner

Trying indoor portrait with DA 50-200
Portraits with Pentax DA 50-200 - Hin's Tech Corner

Chasing my boy with DA 50-200
Chasing My Boy with DA 50-200 - Hin's Tech Corner

I did try using longer length and hence the question to confirm my liking.

Thanks again,
Hin
09-01-2007, 08:18 PM   #15
roy
Inactive Account
roy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: D/FW area, Tx.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,712
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
I've completely lost my patience for photo forums because of questions like this.
john,
if this is true then why do you keep posting antagonistic posts here ??????
you'd probably get more satisfaction emailing yourself. are you a liability or an asset here.????
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, pentax lens, portraits, range, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tokina 35-105 f3,5 close focusing zoom octavmandru Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 02-25-2009 06:20 PM
Is the Pentax - 75-300mm F4.5-5.8 SMCP-FA J AL Zoom Lens a good budget zoom? Kornbread Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 01-16-2009 03:45 PM
A good lens for Sports, and good Zoom chuna Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 12-26-2008 05:15 AM
For Sale - Sold: FS [EU]: Sigma 28-105 Aspherical F/2.8-4.0 Autofocus Zoom lens Syb Sold Items 1 01-26-2008 01:51 PM
SMC Pentax-F 1:4-5.6 35-105 Zoom geoffox23 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 06-19-2007 09:26 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:21 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top