Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax-fa 2.8/100 Macro Price?

I ran across a thread elsewhere that indicates this lens is nearly impossible to find for some reason. I checked around and it appears this is so. Apparently the last two on eBay (March and July 2007) were sold on eBay Germany for the equivalent of approx. $480 US.

Apparently the IQ beats the DFA version and the all-metal build and focus limiter makes it more attractive than the DFA.

I've got one and am curious why they are so scarce. Was this a very limited-run lens?

08-31-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
I ran across a thread elsewhere that indicates this lens is nearly impossible to find for some reason. I checked around and it appears this is so. Apparently the last two on eBay (March and July 2007) were sold on eBay Germany for the equivalent of approx. $480 US.

Apparently the IQ beats the DFA version and the all-metal build and focus limiter makes it more attractive than the DFA.

I've got one and am curious why they are so scarce. Was this a very limited-run lens?
I believe it was limited production. That was my first true macro lens - and it is very good in terms of sharpness.

I bought mine in May or June of 2006, NIB. When travelling, I'll sometimes bring it along and leave the 200/4 at home. Heavy, with a focus limiter and clamp but great IQ - cannot speak for the D FA version though.

BTW, I've held off: I'm going to post some Goldfinch and some other bird shots soon... I took them in May. I've never been much of a bird photographer (other than hummingbirds), so it was an interesting change. Hope people will enjoy them!

Cheers,
Marc
08-31-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Marc-

I'll be expecting some Hummingbird Moth shots, too!
08-31-2007, 11:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have heard different opinions regarding DFA and FA 100mm macro.

I only own DFA 100mm macro and I love its compact size and light weight. Though plastic build, it is quite resilient to smashing and high impact fall.

The favored opinion of Fa 100mm macro does tempt me to grab a copy myself to try. It is probably very sharp wide open since DFA is only sharp til f4.5

Someone at DPR did mention Fa and DFA have the same optical designs ...

Cheers

09-01-2007, 06:29 AM   #5
Forum Member

Pentax progression when it comes to 100mm macro lenses are interesting. The A 100/2.8 is the best when it comes to IQ, the F second, the FA third and the DFA fourth. Note that they are all great, but there are different levels of greatness. The oldest one is the best with each version a small decrease in IQ. I assume that it comes down to savings in production, but interesting never the less.
09-01-2007, 05:53 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I did find one store selling (or at least claiming to have) the FA version for just over £400. Only slightly more than the D-FA version sells for. The FA version has the better build, the D-FA has the manual focus after AF feature that I like. Optically, I couldn't say from experience but most reviews seem to favour the earlier versions over the D-FA. In the end I got neither and went for a Tamron 90mm instead... optically fantastic and I wasn't prepared to pay the difference for either the build of the FA or the nice focusing feature of the DFA... though if one lens had both then I'd happily have paid the extra.