Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to remove a stuck M42 - K-mount adapter

I recently scored a couple of M42 lenses and not having an M42 camera, purchased an adapter from eBay. It came with a removal/insertion tool. The adapter dropped into the Kx K-mount easily and I rotated it using the tool until it clicked. It has a small flat spring the winds up in the notch adjacent to the red alignment dot. (I DID align the red dot on the adapter before inserting.)

But when I went to remove the adapter, one tine of the tool depresses the spring (to release it?) and the other - narrower - tine fits loosely in the opposite opening. I am unable to rotate the adapter counterclockwise and am reluctant to be forcing things, as the mirror is RIGHT THERE where it could easily be damage if something slipped.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, one of the lenses is a PENTAX SMC TAKUMAR 55 f:2 that, when fully screwed in winds up with the focus and aperture markings facing DOWN. Again, I'm reluctant to force things, but perhaps that will provide a clue to answering the problem of removing the adapter.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. In the meantime, my Kx just became an M42 camera!

Tim

09-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try examining the depression spring very closely to see if you can't identify exactly how it needs to be depressed in order to allow the adapter to come off. I know it can be frustrating at first, but I think many people have gone through what you're going through atm. and it almost always ends-up being a familiarity issue with the way the adapter and tool work together(puzzling at times).

If memory serves me right, I think the trick with your type of adapter is to make certain that the flat end of the tool wedges between the metal tang and the mount flange.
09-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Make sure the wider part of the tool pushes the spring inwards rather than forcing it outwards and jamming it more.

I have seen someone force the tool in the wrong side of the spring, but it didn't do any damage.
09-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
My mount adaptor (Pentax part #30120) came without a removal tool. The instructions say to use a ball point pen to depress the spring and turn the adaptor. I found that this was clumsy and i felt at risk of poking the innards as you say, so I have learned to simply use my thumbnail to release the spring and and rotate the adaptor with index finger against thumb. The ada ptor stays in control all the time and there is no risk of damage. Hope this is relevant.
Cheers,
Pete

09-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Sorry you having problems with a stuck adapter. The above suggestions are good ones to try. When my brand-X adapter was stuck on my K10D, I tried them all. Finally, after more than two hours of fiddling, cursing, and consideration of the Dremel tool the thing magically slid off. Don't ask me what I did to make it work properly.

It is enough to say that the offending adapter was sent back to Adorama for a full refund and I resolved to avoid using similar products in the future. Unless, of course, I had taken the precaution of removing the retention spring. Even then, there is an issue with over-rotation in the mount with some adapters.

Steve
09-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all, for the quick replies. It turns out that the tool depresses the spring just fine, BUT... The tine that does so protrudes too far into the opening. So the adapter rotates just far enough that the spring is hooked in the depressed position, THEN one must pull the tool back slightly so it clears the rest of the mount. Now that I understand the problem, it's simple. Thanks again.

Now, can anyone suggest a solution for my Pentax Takumar 55mm f2.0 not lining up with the focus scale and aperture scale up and in the normal position. Having to turn the camera upside down to set things is a bit awkward.

Tim