Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Need insight re macro lenses..

I want to get an AF macro lens for use on both a K10D and a DS. Choices so far are:
Sigma 105mm f2.8 ExDG @ $400
Tamron SP AF 90mm f2.8 Di @ $490
Pentax DFA 100mm f2.8 @ $540
Possibly Tokina 100mm f2.8 AT-X ProD (not yet in K mount)

Focal lengths are essentially the same, as is speed. Substantial price spread.
Can anyone comment on differences between these lenses? Performance issues relative to use on the two bodies?
Thanks.

12-01-2006, 10:53 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Tamron and am very happy with it

I bought a Tamron 90 f2.8 second hand at KEH. I have the pre-digital non DI model. AFAIK, the only difference is the coatings on the lens elements. In any event I thoroughly enjoy this lens. I use it as much as a short tele and portrait lens as I do macro. One of the features I like is that it has a limited/full focus switch. This helps immensely in fine tuning your focus. In macro mode I always use manual focus and for extreme macro I focus by moving the camera in and out. Just remember that DOF (for all macro lenses) is paper thin in maco mode.
Performance: On my DS the lens is fairly fast focusing, not as fast as the FA 50 1.4 but faster than my Sigma 75-300. The lens is sharp, almost too sharp for portrait work, it shows up wrinkles blemishes etc very well! Color rendition is excellent, and it has a pretty good bokeh, tho I am spoiled by the bokeh of my FA 50 1.4. I am at work so I don't have access to any macros and normal shots to show you but maybe when I get home I'll post some samples of what this lens can do.

NaCl(one of my two faves, the other being the FA 50 1.4)H2O
12-01-2006, 11:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Saltwater. I will use it pretty much the way that you do, so the focus limiting aspect is something to consider. Agree with you about the bokeh in pix with the FA 50.
See that you live in Bronx. I was born/grew up there;now in Westchester.
12-01-2006, 11:33 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
Thanks Saltwater. I will use it pretty much the way that you do, so the focus limiting aspect is something to consider. Agree with you about the bokeh in pix with the FA 50.
See that you live in Bronx. I was born/grew up there;now in Westchester.
Ah chestfester, oops! I mean Westchester! . My sister lives there (S. Salem) Do some of my shooting up that way (Pound Ridge Reservation) also shoot much here in the Bronx, Pelham Bay Park, City Is. NY Botanical Gardens, Wave Hill etc.

NaCl(the wild and scenic Bronx)H2O