Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 01:08 AM   #31
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Peter, I see what you are saying but 2/3s or 1 full stop of difference is too much IMO. Especially if you think of the fact that SR won't help you to get higher shutter speeds to stop movement. I know it may sound not much but if you get 1/45 or 1/90 at the same ISO, it does make a difference...

09-09-2010, 01:10 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Peter, I see what you are saying but 2/3s or 1 full stop of difference is too much IMO. Especially if you think of the fact that SR won't help you to get higher shutter speeds to stop movement. I know it may sound not much but if you get 1/45 or 1/90 at the same ISO, it does make a difference...
SR should be about 1.5-2 stops in difference, so Peter is right that you actually get less camera shake with the K-r and 35/2.4 combo.

You're also right, though, that motion blur would then become a problem at 1/45. It's a delicate trade off.

Great, now we sound like butt buddies with all the constant back patting.
09-09-2010, 01:11 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
That's all well and true but we're looking at this from an average consumer's point of view. They don't know about just how good SR is or the fact that the K-r probably has better NR than any Canon/Nikon camera in its class. All they see is that the Nikon 35/1.8 is faster, cheaper and sharper.
Those average consumers probably don't even know the difference between f/1.8 and f/2.4. For all they know the f/2.4 is better because in every other field a large number is always better (more FPS, more ISO, more MP's). What do they know...

QuoteQuote:
I feel like an idiot yapping about all this when none of us has even seen a single test image....
Me too, but I don't think the lens will be bad at all.
09-09-2010, 01:14 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Agreed. Now let's see how the high-ISO capabilities of the K-r are. I think we're in for a surprise, given that they have kept the same MP's but increased the top ISO to 25600.

09-09-2010, 01:16 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Those average consumers probably don't even know the difference between f/1.8 and f/2.4. For all they know the f/2.4 is better because in every other field a large number is always better (more FPS, more ISO, more MP's). What do they know...
Don't joke.

I once had a photographer tell me that the more bulbous the glass looks in a lens (like on any wide angle lens), the better the image quality will be. I've also had someone tell me the bigger the focal length number, the better the lens was (ie 200mm is better than 50mm).

I don't think the lens will be bad either. I'm just looking at this scenario with a vested interest in Pentax's well being.
09-09-2010, 01:18 AM   #36
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I never said I think it's going to be bad lens, I mean... when did Pentax make their last bad lens? I can't think of even one in DA line up that I would say is bad... but I still think f2.4 is bit of a disappointment....
at the end of the day, if friend will ask you why shall I go with Pentax DAL35 instead of Nikon 35/1.8 how would you argue??? There just isn't sound argument without getting SR involved. If they would have at least kept the quick shift. Damn they can put it into DA18-55 kit lenses but can't put it into kit prime?
09-09-2010, 01:26 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I want everybody who has dissed this lens to shut up, immediately. After seeing the image below, I've come to the conclusion that this is a GREAT lens, with amazing sharpness and contrast. Its f2.4 is in reality equivalent to f1.2. At $220, it is a bargain and every one should own one, even if they have to sell one of their kidneys.

I mean seriously, how sexy is the red or gold one going to look on my red K-x?!?!
09-09-2010, 01:27 AM   #38
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm hoping this claim on DPreview's promotional page on the lens comes to fruition:

Incorporating a hybrid aspherical optical element in its design, this new lens delivers high-quality images with enhanced sharpness and contrast — from minimum focusing distance to infinity. It assures exceptional image-resolving power with outstanding brightness levels even at the edges — and even at an open aperture — while effectively keeping any abnormalities to a minimum. It is also treated with the PENTAX-original Ghostless Coating to minimise the adverse effects of flare and ghost images, providing true-to-life images even under demanding conditions, such as harsh backlighting.

Plus, being 124g and 45mm long, it may even be a decent street lens...

09-09-2010, 02:25 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Ash that's Pentax PR speak for Pentax's new plastic fantastic wonder lens.
With an all plastic construction and plastic elements, this lens is gonna be a throwaway item, mark my words. Most users will probably use it for a few years and then junk it when the bayonet mount wears or shears off or the lens barrel will start to rattle and show signs of play (just like those FA-J lenses). Seen it with uber cheap Canikon lenses too so I won't get my hopes up with these made in the Vietnam wonders.
09-09-2010, 02:47 AM   #40
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm under no illusion that it will be a short-lived prime in most households, but this is Pentax's first really cheap AF prime, and for what it is I think it will do its job if IQ and AF performance are up to scratch. It may even be considered an introduction to Pentax's other primes - 2 or 3 years are ample time for a newbie to consider 'upgrading' to DA ltds.
09-09-2010, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #41
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I'm under no illusion that it will be a short-lived prime in most households, but this is Pentax's first really cheap AF prime, and for what it is I think it will do its job if IQ and AF performance are up to scratch. It may even be considered an introduction to Pentax's other primes - 2 or 3 years are ample time for a newbie to consider 'upgrading' to DA ltds.
2-3 years IMO is time for FA ltd
just an example on myself:
Sep '06 - K100D + 18-55
Dec '06 - Tamron 28-200
Mar '07 - Hoya 135
Dec '07 - Sigma 10-20
May '08 - DA40ltd
Jun '08 - F50/1.7
---- other lenses came and went----
Jan '09 - FA31ltd
Jan '10 - FA43ltd and DA40 + F50 sold
May '10 - K50/1.2
Aug '10 - FA77ltd
---and again in meantime few lenses came and went----

I wouldn't say I'm upper class or anything, barely middle class citizen...happily married and planning family. Yet, I realized shortcomings of variable aperture zooms quickly, and after trying the quality of DA40 & F50/1.7 the desire was too strong too contain and DA ltds were just not fast enough for what I wanted to do... As you see, three years down the line I'm with all three FAltds and possibly the best 50 you can get for K mount (my personal opinion).
Prime like the new DA35/2.4 will easily be the ticket for newbies... heck for the RRP I'd probably buy it as my first prime instead of DA40. But I know if I did get it, it wouldn't stay long. Even with DA40 the speed was the limiting factor... I think people who'll like DAL35/2.4 will want to upgrade to 31ltd VERY soon... and maybe that's the whole idea behind this lens, get people into primes, hook them on.... at the end of the day Pentax has some of the best primes by anybody, it's just too much of a risk to buy 1000 lens to see if you'll like it...

sorry for the rant
09-09-2010, 03:22 AM   #42
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty much mirrors my own journey Peter.
I too may have considered the DA 35/2.4 if it were offered in a kit with my first dSLR.
The FA ltds were indeed too difficult to say no to when I decided to opt away from the DA*s and this may indeed be the path of many others, if DA ltds are considered not fast enough. So that's what gives me more hope and perspective for this new plastic fantastic...
09-09-2010, 04:18 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Count me in with those that wish this was at least a half stop faster.

But at 124g what is the odds this will be the fastest focusing Pentax lens? And if it's sharp. . . I'll probably buy one.
09-09-2010, 04:24 AM   #44
Veteran Member

IF the new DAL is using the FA35 optical formula, just restricted to f2.4 than we are in for a good ride IMO. But I still think they should have made it faster
if the DAL 35 will sell at around $200, I think you'd be better off spending an additional $150 bucks with the FA35 for it's half-stop advantage.

having said that, I'm not completely dismissing the DAL 35. eventhough it's a half-stop slower, it might render the bokeh differently, something like the DA40 does. which makes it a great budget portraiture lens.

also, having thought much further of it's advantages and disadvantages over the FA35 and DA40 respectively, I believe it would create a lot more interests, if it would be priced at $150 instead of $200.
09-09-2010, 04:32 AM   #45
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
if the DAL 35 will sell at around $200, I think you'd be better off spending an additional $150 bucks with the FA35 for it's half-stop advantage.
That means to spend almost double the price for a half-stop advantage, that may not perform as well wide open, and perhaps no apparent improvement in IQ.

QuoteQuote:
also, having thought much further of it's advantages and disadvantages over the FA35 and DA40 respectively, I believe it would create a lot more interests, if it would be priced at $150 instead of $200.
It will no doubt drop in price in a few months...