Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 04:55 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
I want everybody who has dissed this lens to shut up, immediately. After seeing the image below, I've come to the conclusion that this is a GREAT lens, with amazing sharpness and contrast. Its f2.4 is in reality equivalent to f1.2. At $220, it is a bargain and every one should own one, even if they have to sell one of their kidneys.

I mean seriously, how sexy is the red or gold one going to look on my red K-x?!?!
I admit that the colorway made this lens much more interesting and funky, but I don't see any connection of such with regards to sharpness and contrast being amazing which is yet to be seen. also the f2.4 and f1.2 aperture equivalence is rather ridiculous and in no way possible, especially if we are talking about DOF. I dunno where you got that impression. if ever that is possible, then count me in as one of those who would consider such a lens.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 09-09-2010 at 05:17 AM.
09-09-2010, 05:08 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
I want everybody who has dissed this lens to shut up, immediately. After seeing the image below, I've come to the conclusion that this is a GREAT lens, with amazing sharpness and contrast. Its f2.4 is in reality equivalent to f1.2. At $220, it is a bargain and every one should own one, even if they have to sell one of their kidneys.

I mean seriously, how sexy is the red or gold one going to look on my red K-x?!?!
That whole bottom row is pretty delish. I imagine a lot of folks will be getting a colored K-r with the kit lens and the DA35. Sounds like a compelling entry-level kit...
09-09-2010, 05:13 AM   #48
Veteran Member

I wish it was an F2, but it's got things to like.

I like the size of this thing and the price (I mean the street price in a few months). I am certain it will have good IQ (It's a pentax for god sake ). The differnet colors are absolutely brilliant. A small DSLR with a small color matched prime sounds very strong to me.

But, I wonder whether buyers will get a prime in common focal lengths that is a bit slower.

However, this lens is not even close to what I would ever want to get (I have the 31/1.8), but I can certainly see it filling in a very nice niche (especially in Japan, where the colorful K-x has been a hit), and IMO it would have been a smashing hit if it was an F2....but, nevertheless a good introduction on Pentax's part.

Last edited by pcarfan; 09-09-2010 at 05:29 AM.
09-09-2010, 05:34 AM   #49

I think the key point of making it 2.4 but not any faster is to prevent it from cutting into the profit margin of 31 ltd. Honestly if it were 35mm 1.8 selling for$200 (or even $400), who else here would buy the 31 ltd? And remember the reason FA35 got discontinued yet still sells for premium in the used market?

09-09-2010, 06:04 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cyy47 Quote
I think the key point of making it 2.4 but not any faster is to prevent it from cutting into the profit margin of 31 ltd. Honestly if it were 35mm 1.8 selling for$200 (or even $400), who else here would buy the 31 ltd? And remember the reason FA35 got discontinued yet still sells for premium in the used market?
then it could be an FA35 replacement if that were the case. it is a cheap alternative and I think it would cut the profit margin of the FA31 further if they make the DAL 35 an f1.8 as well. it maybe a slower and cheaper version of the FA35, but the rendering is yet to be seen. I would be interested to try it out and see how it does. if it performs close to how the DA40 renders, then it would cut the profit margin of the DA40, which the only attractive attributes left is it's cute small pancake size and LTD build quality. if it renders the same as the FA35, this could solve the problem on the shortage of the FA35. but I dont think it would affect the price of the old lens in the used market at all. even if it's priced at $150. but would be a very good cheap alternative to it for those who want a fast and much more normal FOV lens. also I don't think it would affect the DA35 macro's price either.
09-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lets wait for some images, guys. How many aperture blades does this one have?
09-09-2010, 06:30 AM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
Lets wait for some images, guys. How many aperture blades does this one have?
I think it's 6 from the review database.
DA 35mm 2.4

09-09-2010, 06:34 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I could live with the silver one.

I own a FA31mm f/1.8 and if they made this lens as fast as that, it would be a lot bigger.
09-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
then it could be an FA35 replacement if that were the case. it is a cheap alternative and I think it would cut the profit margin of the FA31 further if they make the DAL 35 an f1.8 as well. it maybe a slower and cheaper version of the FA35, but the rendering is yet to be seen. I would be interested to try it out and see how it does. if it performs close to how the DA40 renders, then it would cut the profit margin of the DA40, which the only attractive attributes left is it's cute small pancake size and LTD build quality. if it renders the same as the FA35, this could solve the problem on the shortage of the FA35. but I dont think it would affect the price of the old lens in the used market at all. even if it's priced at $150. but would be a very good cheap alternative to it for those who want a fast and much more normal FOV lens. also I don't think it would affect the DA35 macro's price either.
I concur. It's the best Pentax can do as a company trying to keep up with other companies' offer, yet still maintain a good profit, considering their already abundant albeit more pricey offerings at 35mm. Sometimes too many is not a good thing as product differentiation becomes difficult (Sony entry DSLRs come to mind).
09-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I might have to buy one....in gold.
09-09-2010, 07:14 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Would be interesting to see if DA L 35 f2.4 will cut into sale of DA 35 f2.8 Macro Ltd, hmmmm

I personally wouldn't buy one in a hurry because I just got myself a DA 35 macro, but it could have been rather different if I knew the existence of DAL 35 f2.4

Anyway, looking forward to see some test shots.
09-09-2010, 07:53 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Um. How many other brands have an affordable 35mm lens?

That's right, none.

35mm is not the same as 50mm.
09-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Um. How many other brands have an affordable 35mm lens?

That's right, none.

35mm is not the same as 50mm.
Nikon and Sony do, and theirs are f/1.8. That fast aperture being the main gripe regarding the DA35/2.4, it seems.

Me, I already own a FA35/2, but I would likely be interested in the DA35/2.4 otherwise. What remains to be seen is how it will perform wide-open. Hopefully it will be very sharp from corner-to-corner.
09-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Nikon and Sony do, and theirs are f/1.8. That fast aperture being the main gripe regarding the DA35/2.4, it seems.

Me, I already own a FA35/2, but I would likely be interested in the DA35/2.4 otherwise. What remains to be seen is how it will perform wide-open. Hopefully it will be very sharp from corner-to-corner.
Shhhhhhhh. Nikon and who? ;-)
09-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am a bit surprised about what appears to be a plastic mount. How much more can metal cost? I would pay $50 more for that for sure.

I am pretty excited to see some sample photos.