Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
pacerr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Henry, TN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,910
The tropics?

Manila, huh?! The tropics? Hot and humid or dry(-ish) and dusty as I recall - unless it's changed a lot in the last 45 years.

The S1a with M42 primes in '65 or modern WR gear today? No question in my mind. I'd go with the WR gear and enjoy a little less worry about protecting camera stuff. Rain drops aren't the only reason to value WR attributes. For instance, it'll be interesting in 10-20 years to see if WR has a statistically significant effect on fungus.

If you spend a little more for quality gear that actually suits your purposes you'll soon forget the extra cost -- after all, you did manage to finally afford it. But if you go cheap you'll be reminded of it almost every time you use it.

H2

09-09-2010, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,679
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Manila, huh?! The tropics? Hot and humid or dry(-ish) and dusty as I recall - unless it's changed a lot in the last 45 years.

The S1a with M42 primes in '65 or modern WR gear today? No question in my mind. I'd go with the WR gear and enjoy a little less worry about protecting camera stuff. Rain drops aren't the only reason to value WR attributes. For instance, it'll be interesting in 10-20 years to see if WR has a statistically significant effect on fungus.

If you spend a little more for quality gear that actually suits your purposes you'll soon forget the extra cost -- after all, you did manage to finally afford it. But if you go cheap you'll be reminded of it almost every time you use it.
H2
Or more importantly you'll be reminded that ya went a tad too cheap everytime you CAN'T use the less expensive lense because it's wet outside. And for $40-$60 more you can at least give yourself a chance at some shots.
09-09-2010, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,903
I think you can get 2 camera condoms for under $10.

09-10-2010, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,830
QuoteQuote:
I think you can get 2 camera condoms for under $10
Yeah, this is EXACTLY the same thing as using a WR kit

09-10-2010, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #20
TZH
Senior Member
TZH's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 118
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Yeah, this is EXACTLY the same thing as using a WR kit
But you can't wear "condoms" all around
09-11-2010, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian
reeftool's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,155
None of my lenses are WR. I regularly take my K10D with me for kayak trips, hiking, skiing, etc and haven't had any issues. Any splash water and droplets seem to collect on the back of the camera body and I'm far more concerned about a little water leaking in around all the knobs and buttons on the body. When I bought my camera, only the * lenses were weather sealed. However, if I was buying my camera today, I would certainly go for the WR kit lens which wasn't available 3 yrs. ago. The same will hold true for future purchases. If I have a choice, I will go for the WR version. I am not going to replace any lenses I already own with a WR version.
09-11-2010, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member
kevinschoenmakers's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shanghai
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,513
I recently bought a DA18-55WR to team up with my K10D as a weatherproof set, and I love it. The lens isn't very expensive (compared to other lenses), and it's weatherproof, so you get 2 kinds of piece of mind. Nothing will happen to it, and if something happens, it wasn't very expensive to begin with.

I recently took it on a long trip through the Philippines and southern China, and I'm very glad I did. I got some great shots with it, that I otherwise could or would not have taken because of the rain or bad weather (or my anticipation of it). As a Philipino I'm sure you know it can rain quite badly sometimes

Though it can't really be pushed to its extremes, the lens is capable of very decent Image Quality. I often mistake one of my photos as taken by one of my limiteds, while actually it was the DA18-55WR
09-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #23
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Albums
Posts: 230
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
I recently bought a DA18-55WR to team up with my K10D as a weatherproof set, and I love it. The lens isn't very expensive (compared to other lenses), and it's weatherproof, so you get 2 kinds of piece of mind. Nothing will happen to it, and if something happens, it wasn't very expensive to begin with.

I recently took it on a long trip through the Philippines and southern China, and I'm very glad I did. I got some great shots with it, that I otherwise could or would not have taken because of the rain or bad weather (or my anticipation of it). As a Philipino I'm sure you know it can rain quite badly sometimes

Though it can't really be pushed to its extremes, the lens is capable of very decent Image Quality. I often mistake one of my photos as taken by one of my limiteds, while actually it was the DA18-55WR
yeah I am actually sold on the WR since Manila do have some sudden rainfalls..
and I'm worried about the Image Quality,... thanks for this!

thanks for all your inputs guys!
I'll be purchasing an 18-55mm WR this wednesday

if you got something more to share about DA WR lenses, please do so.
thanks!

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da, k-mount, lenses, pentax lens, slr lens, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:33 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top