Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #76
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sherwood Quote
Back to old film days, we used fast primes to shoot in low light because the best films were slow and the fastest ones were grainy.

Now we have DSLRs with amazing IQ at high ISO settings and shake-reduction systems.

If those who claim here they need f1.8 primes had to pay for each frame they burn, would they still shoot wide opened ?
I can push the envelope farther with the A 50/1.2 and the new ISO settings than with the DA* 55/1.4. Lamborghini has improved aerodynamics, but they don't use that as an excuse for scaling back HP.

09-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #77

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Well looking at the specs, there's a high chance its just the FA35 with a smaller image circle so there's probably no reservations in the IQ dept.
I am so glad I bought the FA35 f2.0 shortly before Pentax droppped it...
09-14-2010, 02:53 PM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nikon's new 24/1.4 is housed in plastic and it's $1k+ , Canon is thinking of going carbon fibre...so plastic seems to be the future for lens manufacturers.
01-31-2011, 12:49 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SOMFW Quote

Go back and read the Thousands of Posts that Claim how much faster 2.8 is vs 3.5 or 1.4 is then 1.8 etc. The list is endless. When the bragging works in their Favor a 1/2 or 1 stop faster aperture is like the second coming of Christ. When they Don't work in their favor, it's always, No big deal. Why is that?

If the exact same people are saying both, you have a point. Otherwise it's just different people's opinions about speed applied to different lenses.

01-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOMFW Quote
My Opinion,

My only real concern is the price when comparing it to the Nikon

For $20 Less, Nikon gives you, SWM Focus, Nikons version of Quick Shift Focus, A non extending lens construction, a Hood, a pouch and a metal Lens mount. Oh and I forgot - a Much faster Aperture!

Now I understand in Pentax Forums (Most forums for that matter, that are dedicated to One brand) When the Specs work against you there are always the expected, "Anti-Spec" Responses. these are FanBoy Forums afterall.

But it is the lack of Consistency in the Anti Spec Post that make them and this lens ( price only) laughable.

Go back and read the Thousands of Posts that Claim how much faster 2.8 is vs 3.5 or 1.4 is then 1.8 etc. The list is endless. When the bragging works in their Favor a 1/2 or 1 stop faster aperture is like the second coming of Christ. When they Don't work in their favor, it's always, No big deal. Why is that?

Don't believe that assessment or you are in SPec / Fan boy Denial? Apply the same theory for the Size of the lens. How many posts are there exalting how massive the difference of one or Two Millimeters is on a wide angle lens (when it works in their favor), think 16 vs 17 or 18mm. but the same logic doesn't apply when it works against them, think 10 vs 12. The same applies to the long end but here the differences of opinion , depending on what side of the argument you are on, are so skewed that they too are just laughable.

As far as the 1.8 vs 2.4 argument goes, as it applies to these two lenses. For me it all comes down to the Not mentioned, as far as I can see Standard FanBoy argument on the Stop Down Effect.
When a competitor has a faster lens the argument is always, "Yeah but, you have to stop it down to F_._ to make it usable or sharp" or something to that nature. But the same logic never applies to their slower lens. If you have to stop down a 1.4 to 2.? to make it sharp or a 1.8 to 2.? then it only goes to say that a 2.4 would need the same adjustment!

It's common knowledge that Almost every lens ever produced is considerably sharper when stopped down, this applies to a simple kit lens all the way up to an uber expensive l super fast prime lens. But for whatever reason, those physics laws, don't apply to this budget / Plastic semi fast lens. Why is that?

Has Pentax Reinvented Physics on this and Only this lens? Is it the first Semi fast prime that doesn't need to be stopped down to increase overall performance?

Then as I said there is the price issue. We all know its cost more to produce 1.8 then 2.4. That alone should be reason for the prices to, at least be the same. Now factor in the price of Metal vs plastic mounts and the Nikon included Hood and Pouch. The real cost of the later 3 is insignificant at best, that is until you see what Pentax wants to sell you a Plastic hood for! = $56 and up!

So, with all that said is the 35 - 2.4 a good lens / value?
I don't know, I have never used it, which I am certain is the True answer of nearly every response on this thread.
As far value goes. I don't think so, not when comparing it to it's most direct competition. But since you can't use a Nikon lens on a pentax it really isn't apples to apples, is it? Should it be Cheaper? Yes! Should they Throw in Non cost items like the hood or Pouch to justify their price premium? Absolutely!

Maybe somebody who has it and one of the following lenses, the 16-45, 18- 55 or the 17-70 can compare it to them @35mm so we can A/B the photos.
That really is the only way to determine if in fact it is a good lens as far as what pentax has to offer
Wow, digged up a more than 4 month old to bash Pentax. You must be something .
Closed Thread