Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 03:27 AM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pluto
Posts: 75
So a full plastic 35/2.4 is available at Nikkor 35/1.8 price?

weight is 124g, says plastic barrel, looks like plastic mount in news photo.

Nikkor 35/1.8G is 200g with metal mount, and SWM motor, SWM MOTOR!!!
And, BTW, maybe u don't care, it's 1-stop faster.


This is really depressing news for me. I could accept DA35/2.4 at $60, what ever the IQ is. A F/2.4 is a F/2.4.

If pentax releases DA35/1.8, it will kill FA31, yes, it's right. But a lens like DA35/2.4 at improper price will drive people away from Pentax, and finally kill the brand itself.

09-09-2010, 03:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,753
This topic is inappropiate. Please move over to the lens forum...
09-09-2010, 03:30 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,678
We've discussed this in other 35/2.4 threads going on at the moment, and I'm sorry, I disagree on all counts other than the facts you presented first up...

If it's excellent IQ, then f/2.4 is good - it has no place in 'killing' any other Pentax lens - totally different leagues...
09-09-2010, 04:24 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
After some exchanges with othe members in another threads I'll agree with Ash here. IF they got the IQ right this lens may be THE lens for many people with kit zooms wishing to experiment with faster primes yet not willing to spend money on ltds (be it DAs or FAs).
Example? My wife. She has blue K-x. She loves 31ltd, but it's big and heavy. Does she really care about 1.8 or 2.4? Hell no. 2.4 will be bneneficial for her as it will let her shoot wide open and will mask more AF errors that beginners like her are likely to encounter. If the IQ of this lens at 2.4 will be comparable to that of 40ltd at 2.8 then for the RRP (which is half compared to 35/40ltds and nearly half of FA50/1.4) this may help Pentax rather then kill it IMHO. Am I dissapointed with it being f2.4 only? Yes, but then I have 31ltd so no problem...

09-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member
paperbag846's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,396
Both of the new cameras have very high ISO's, and typically, you want to be shooting above f2.4 unless you are looking at some very specific shots.

For the average consumer, I don't think the aperture difference will matter, and might actually be benificial to beginners who would inappropriately select a too-wide aperture. Those mistakes would make the lens look bad, because a beginner will always blame his/her equipment . I think the fact that this lens is (1) light, and (2) incorporates an aspherical element, will be a killer IQ package for people with little money to blow.

If I could re-start my system, I think the K-R with the DA35 2.4 would be an awesome way to start.
09-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,352
FFS!

2.4 vs 1.8 is no contest. Especially by the time you reach 2.8 or 4.0.

Pentax have released a piece of plastic that costs more than Nikon and is "worse" in specification.

I'd love to see the Pentax lens perform impeccably and then be worth its price. Time will tell.

IMHO Hoya have lost the plot with lenses. Pentax needed a (circa) 30mm F2 pancake.
09-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
QuoteOriginally posted by kales Quote
weight is 124g, says plastic barrel, looks like plastic mount in news photo.

Nikkor 35/1.8G is 200g with metal mount, and SWM motor, SWM MOTOR!!!
And, BTW, maybe u don't care, it's 1-stop faster.


This is really depressing news for me. I could accept DA35/2.4 at $60, what ever the IQ is. A F/2.4 is a F/2.4.

If pentax releases DA35/1.8, it will kill FA31, yes, it's right. But a lens like DA35/2.4 at improper price will drive people away from Pentax, and finally kill the brand itself.
FWIW, all Nikon's SWM motors are not equal - the Nikon 35 1.8G does not really focus very fast, my screw-driven 50 1.8D focuses faster.

I think, personally, that we're lucky that the DA 35 f/2.4 is not SDM, for a couple reasons

I'm happy to see this new lens. Even if it's not f/1.8, it's size, price, and possibly it's IQ make it very hard to pass up if you don't have the 35mm FL covered with a prime already.

.
09-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NYC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,071
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
FFS!

2.4 vs 1.8 is no contest. Especially by the time you reach 2.8 or 4.0.

Pentax have released a piece of plastic that costs more than Nikon and is "worse" in specification.

I'd love to see the Pentax lens perform impeccably and then be worth its price. Time will tell.

IMHO Hoya have lost the plot with lenses. Pentax needed a (circa) 30mm F2 pancake.
Whatever, it comes in pink. It wins.

09-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 146
if it performs very well @ f2.4 with pentax color and contrast,
it would still be a good bargain if and when it falls below $200.
and with pentax SR you could survive without f1.8 (unless you need to DOF).
my 2 cents.
09-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,678
And that's the trump card Pentax can easily win with - if newbies (and even some enthusiasts) do the research and find the 35/2.4 outperforming any other 35mm kit prime at f/2.4 onwards, then the K-r + 35/2.4 will be a formidable combo.
09-09-2010, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #11
MSM
Veteran Member
MSM's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Alabama
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 994
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
And that's the trump card Pentax can easily win with - if newbies (and even some enthusiasts) do the research and find the 35/2.4 outperforming any other 35mm kit prime at f/2.4 onwards, then the K-r + 35/2.4 will be a formidable combo.
Ash: I want to commend you for your posts in the 'Sea of Angst.' I saw this info of the Kr and the DAL 35 come up and you provided a lot of great comments to the (as expected) deluge of negativity which occurs with each Pentax announcement.

I have seen many posts comparing it to Nikon's offering. I guess to me given the target audience (noob) it is unlikely that anyone will be swayed by the difference in the mount or the max. aperture or price. Most don't know what aperture means let alone what if any difference they will see in their pictures. Moreover, most won't know what a Prime lens is anyway. Thus the decision to buy Nikon or Pentax will not have anything to do with this lens it will be about marketing the camera. After a person buys into Pentax or other, the decision on which 35mm prime is moot. Don't you think?

To me the real concern/gamble for Pentax is whether or not spending R&D and manufacturing costs to run a line of 'cheap' prime(s) for the masses will pay off. Which soccer mom, etc. is going to run out and by a prime lens? It is clear that not many here are happy with it for various reasons and were kind of into gear here.

That being said the color option is great if available in your area. I was in the small minority of loving the addition of colors to the Km. IIRC, there was a lot of hatred and doom speak after that announcement. In the end, the colors that have continued on with the Kx and now Kr may just be what saves the company we love.
09-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member
RBellavance's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Near Montréal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,716
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
I have seen many posts comparing it to Nikon's offering. I guess to me given the target audience (noob) it is unlikely that anyone will be swayed by the difference in the mount or the max. aperture or price. Most don't know what aperture means let alone what if any difference they will see in their pictures. Moreover, most won't know what a Prime lens is anyway. Thus the decision to buy Nikon or Pentax will not have anything to do with this lens it will be about marketing the camera. After a person buys into Pentax or other, the decision on which 35mm prime is moot. Don't you think?
I sure do, and that's a point I had not seen made yet.

The decision to buy a Pentax over a Nikon does not hinge on the f/stop of the cheap normal prime. As you mentioned, most entry-level buyers don't even know what that is and are not interested in primes initially.
09-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ferguson, Mo.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,348
get a glint of a hint that mount is annodized alumnium, has it been confirmed
it is plastic?
09-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 132
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
As you mentioned, most entry-level buyers don't even know what that is and are not interested in primes initially.
That's precisely the problem - they don't know. We gearheads might think "well the CZJ Flektogon is only f2.4, and that's still a nice lens", whereas a newbie will do a "what lens should I buy?" Google search, read "the smaller the f-number is, the better the lens" and therefore buy Nikon.
09-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #15
MSM
Veteran Member
MSM's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Alabama
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 994
QuoteOriginally posted by MrCynical Quote
That's precisely the problem - they don't know. We gearheads might think "well the CZJ Flektogon is only f2.4, and that's still a nice lens", whereas a newbie will do a "what lens should I buy?" Google search, read "the smaller the f-number is, the better the lens" and therefore buy Nikon.
I disagree. My point was no one looking to move up from P&S will have knowledge of primes. I sincerely doubt many people would do a google search on which lens to buy prior to making a DSLR purchase.

However, the bigger issue is that all the people used to 5x -15x zooms are going to look at the DAL 35 and say 'how do I make it move in closer to the subject? It seems stuck! What's wrong with this lens? You mean it doesn't zoom? Something like that.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da35/2.4, f/2.4, k-mount, nikkor, pentax, pentax lens, plastic, slr lens, swm
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc Plastic humanity causey Post Your Photos! 13 01-07-2010 08:43 PM
Has the new plastic 55-300 the same IQ than the old one? juanraortiz Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 12-29-2009 02:06 PM
Stop using plastic Damn Brit General Talk 70 11-02-2009 09:38 PM
Full Moon Full Zoom ismaelg Post Your Photos! 8 06-08-2009 03:02 PM
Plastic Fantastic Syb Post Your Photos! 13 01-31-2009 08:52 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:48 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top