Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2010, 10:02 PM   #76
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
A Swedish store got it for pre ordering at like 273 dollars. I hate that the prices are higher in europe.
In Estonia - 187.5 euro

09-12-2010, 01:00 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
In Estonia - 187.5 euro
Use open borders to your advantage.

PS I have heard some complaints but fail to understand the price different between US, CAN, and he EU, which seem seem progressively worse.... why?
09-12-2010, 01:17 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
PS I have heard some complaints but fail to understand the price different between US, CAN, and he EU, which seem seem progressively worse.... why?
They tend to translate 1 dollar in to 1 euro. In Sweden one dollar has been as low as 6,7 kr or something wile one euro was over 10,5 kr. What makes the difference is that they count 1 dollar as 1 euro in europe and that adds like 30% to the price. An example is Steam wich sells computer games online, before you could buy very cheap games and then the prices were in dollars, now they're in euros so like 30% higher.
09-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #79
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
An example is Steam wich sells computer games online, before you could buy very cheap games and then the prices were in dollars, now they're in euros so like 30% higher.
Don't worry - in Australia it's still in US dollars. But still with an Aussie pricing scheme.

Except they're still overpriced. In fact, it was cheaper to buy Bioshock 2, for example, from a walk-in store: $88AU in the shops, $89US on Steam...which, when converted to Aussie dollars, was about $100.

09-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #80
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
It might if it has the same flare control as the DA15.
Falk tracked down some info from Pentax and verified that it has the Ghostless Coating on the rear element like the FA 35/2 AL had. Of course you have to get the hood separately. With exception of the plasti-mount, this lens may have possibilities.
09-12-2010, 08:04 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
In Estonia - 187.5 euro
FA35/2 can be had for 297.1Eur (cheapest option, probably out of stock). This makes a nice price difference for half stop and few features.
(Sigma 30/1.4 goes for 324Eur.)

Btw, what's with the ghost-less coating? Is there a site that explains it, with samples?
09-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Don't worry - in Australia it's still in US dollars. But still with an Aussie pricing scheme.

Except they're still overpriced. In fact, it was cheaper to buy Bioshock 2, for example, from a walk-in store: $88AU in the shops, $89US on Steam...which, when converted to Aussie dollars, was about $100.
100 for bioshock 2 makes my head spin

09-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #83
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
. . .
Btw, what's with the ghost-less coating? Is there a site that explains it, with samples?
Its a proprietary coating to reduce ghosting and flare. It is applied to the rear element. It was patented by Pentax ~ 1992 and was first used on the FA 43mm ltd. They don't always state which lenses have it and which ones do not. Even if Dimitrov fails to mention it, they still may have it.

Asahi Optical History Club:

QuoteQuote:
1992 - Ghostless Coating
World's first and unique anti-reflective coating allowing no flare at all in daylight and negligible flare in nighttime shots with direct light entering the lens. It is employed on some critical elements in FA* and Limited series lenses.
Go here and scroll down to 1992.

Milestones
09-12-2010, 08:48 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Well, from my perspective, what pricks up my ears a bit is how it's billed on *sharpness across the frame.* If it performs well in that way, and is reasonably light and compact, it may actually be something of minor interest to me. An FA 35/2 would probably fill my needs better, (I actually use the actual speed sometimes, and full-frame happens, considering I still shoot film, but the simple fact is my fast Sigma 28 is a *beast.* But I like it for the same reasons I see promise in what that this lens is billed with: edge sharpness. When I use a wider lens, including normals, the subjects often aren't near the center. )

....Anyway, if this starts putting some pretty spectacular results in the hands of a lot of that like 'K-x market' that seems to have cropped up, great. Cause, really, a kit zoom is a kit zoom. Affordable, fully-compatible AF primes can really distinguish Pentax.

I'd buy this lens and a K-x or a K-r for my little sister in a *second.* 2.4 and high ISO in a lens like that is actually a pretty good combination: (even if the speed's limited, for some who don't think about it, the really shallow DOF can foul shots that didn't have to be: with the in-body SR, better to keep it close to what the screen shows, most of the time, I'd think. )

She's got at *least* as much of an eye as I do, just a lot less training and interest in the technology. (Went into painting and music. Born under a different sign, but she always did great when I'd hand her a camera and a normal lens. ) I think this lens would actually work out pretty well for her. There's a lot of people like that, artsy but not technically-oriented.

(And if Pentax isn't including the hood, that's a disservice. Takes probably less plastic than the *packaging* and does *so* much to make people (and camera companies) look good. It's not like there's big marketing dollars to be made. )
09-12-2010, 12:26 PM   #85
Veteran Member

I posted many times on this forum that Pentax should make a cheap ~28mm ("standard") APS-C prime lens. Now, I must buy it.
09-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #86
Banned

Well I currently use some of the time my DA40mm/f2.8 Ltd lence for just strawling around town of there is notting to get a picture of as a main goal. So this could be very handy for the 35mm/f2.4 lens to do that. Just a little wider view. No qoick-shift, but I'm not using that anyway on a trip. No distance scale, not using that either on such a trip an the 35mm is just a litle more on DOF. It's plastic, but then again I'm not going to a wrestlers game. The only negative thing is that is almost a third heavier but then again it's just some grams.

I like this lens.
09-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #87

My F28/2.8 still hasn't arrived. Maybe before Christmas it will be in my hands.
I now have a DA40, a DA70, a takumar-A 70-200.
By February of next year I will be ready for a 35mm. This will probably be it.
09-13-2010, 02:35 AM   #88
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
I posted many times on this forum that Pentax should make a cheap ~28mm ("standard") APS-C prime lens. Now, I must buy it.
Agreed about 28mm (or 30mm). This would produce the "ideal" perspective for APS-C just as the 1.9/43 did for film/full frame without resorting to the expensive lump of the 1.8/31mm. Give it f2.4, a 49 or 52mm filter thread and a built-in lens hood.

That's more my idea of a lightweight "standard".
09-13-2010, 05:04 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Anybody aware of the kit combinations?
- Can you get a K-r with 35 mm F2.4 + cheap 55-300 mm zoom?
- Or all three kit lenses with one body?
09-13-2010, 05:46 AM   #90

Some months back I posted this reply in a thread here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/96655-next-lens-3.html#post989066

I guess I should move up and predict bodies as well .

Anyway IMO the ones complaining about the new lens are either:

a) could and would pay extra for better features
b) feel shortchanged when comparing with the competition

Maybe Pentax doesn't have a market analysis department. They'd rather release a colored lens than one with a metal mount and bells and whistles. Like the last colored body they released without AF indicators, which probably turned out to be the best selling Pentax DSLR to date.

I have 28, 50, and 135 manual focus primes. This would probably the first AF prime lens that I can afford, so I'm really excited and eager for the tests and reviews.

Buy hey, the A50 f2.0 may be the cheapest Pentax prime, but it's sharper than the DA kit. I don't think this new prime can be any worse than that.

Just my 2c