Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
Plastic mount lens is strictly for entry level users and extremely budget conscious.
True... but given how lens starved Pentax users are... many will buy this.

QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
lol.

I think the plastic will be very strong. I bet it will be made of high quality durable plastic. Plastic is good against bumps too. I don't think the mount will break before the elements or anything else in a bump or what ever.
I know an owner of a camera repair shop locally and he has a drawer full of damaged cheap plastic lenses, mostly Canon and Nikon that were sheared off at the lens mount or chipped or broken filter rings. He has customers coming in all the time asking if something can be done to fix the lens, to which he says that it is not repairable and not worth the expense. Guess what, there were also a few el-cheapo Pentax plastic FA and FA-Js in the collection...

Having used a few Pentax lenses with plastic lens mounts myself, I have no doubts that they are usable, but there is always the lingering thought whether it can stand-up to moderate use. If by some chance your camera and lens attached takes a heavy knock and there is a damage at the mount, that lens is basically junk. So I have no illusions on the supposed durability of plastic lens mounts. As they say, there is no free lunch... your mileage might vary of course.

09-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's the primary thing for me: cheap lenses (I've looked at the Nikon 35/1.8 and Canon 50/1.8) are good to start out with but, after a while, one realizes that for a little bit more money one could get much better image quality. Those lenses are cheap, but they just don't perform. One then buys another lens in the same focal length. If the DA 35/2.4 has good rendering--and, looking at other Pentax lenses, it surely ought to--then it will be a lens to buy and hold, expanding one's lens lineup, rather than replacing it. Good move for consumers, Pentax.

And when people complain about the MSRP of the 35/2.4, they're complaining about an MSRP from a company from which most lenses cost ~20% less than MSRP--which places this lens below the Nikon competitor. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the 35/2.4 has better build quality--plastic can make amazing things, after all--than the Nikon, and retains a higher price for its better value than the Nikon.

As for the plastic mount, I'm not worried. I doubt many folks buying the 35/2.4 will be changing lenses frequently--at this point, if they have the cash for an arsenal of lenses, they probably will pay extra for the 35 and/or 40 Limiteds. Or $200 will be too expensive an item to abuse. And if this lens does well, which I expect it to, I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax offers a DA 35/2.4 WR.

And I would love it if Pentax succeeds here and comes out with DA L ~24mm and ~90mm companions. There will be some cannibalization of Limited lenses, sure, but also fewer people moving to other systems; Pentax doesn't have any <$500 offerings in these ranges. Yet.

I can't say this is a fantastic lens. Nobody can say this is a horrible lens. Not for a month or two, either way. And the fact that this lens isn't for you doesn't mean that Pentax made a mistake releasing it.

But this lens, for all of its shortcomings, could get a reputation: want an inexpensive body/lens combination that won't hold your photography back? Want options for upgrading, with cheap used lenses or absolutely top-shelf offerings? K-x and 35/2.4. Done deal.
09-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #123
Pentaxian

One small problem with the above: the Nikon 50/1.8D ($90 used) is a wonderful performer.
09-15-2010, 06:03 PM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
One small problem with the above: the Nikon 50/1.8D ($90 used) is a wonderful performer.
So? So is the Pentax SMC 50mm f/1.7, and you can get that for even less.

09-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
So? So is the Pentax SMC 50mm f/1.7, and you can get that for even less.
But it is NOT AF, which is what a lot of new users want and expect.
09-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
His post lists the Nikon 35mm, not the 50mm.
09-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
Here's the primary thing for me: cheap lenses (I've looked at the Nikon 35/1.8 and Canon 50/1.8) are good to start out with but, after a while, one realizes that for a little bit more money
one could get much better image quality.
I'd assume you talking about Nikon 35/1.4 (of where else somebody will move for 35mm staying within Nikon platform - not to 35/2 for sure) ? did you check how much that "little bit more money" will be ?

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
Those lenses are cheap, but they just don't perform.
They do, you probably were mistaken because people who buy Canon 50/1.8 for $90 mostly are not experienced photographers and rather mediocre w/ raw conversion and postprocessing... but then they will have bad photos out of your 35/2.4.
09-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Whether it is the AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D or the AF-S DX NIKKOR
35mm f/1.8G that is being mentioned, both are affordable AF lenses.
Nikon's 50mm f/1.8 lenses have been consistently good.

AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D from Nikon

Amazon.com: Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G from Nikon

Amazon.com: Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

The lenses are cheap because they are no longer made in Japan but China.

09-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
But it is NOT AF, which is what a lot of new users want and expect.
But it won't AF on the entry-level Nikon bodies.
09-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Yeah, sorry. I saw "I've looked at the Nikon 35/1.8 and Canon 50/1.8" and read "Nikon 50/1.8".

:[
09-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #131
Veteran Member

But it won't AF on the entry-level Nikon bodies.
But that's not really a problem is it? because Nikon users using entry-level Nikons keep upgrading their cameras when they quickly discover the shortcomings... and as we all know, the vast majority of newbies don't go beyond the kit lenses, and if they did it would likely be a better zoom. Only a few foray into prime territory...
09-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #132
Veteran Member

Seriously folks, stop the press!
There has been a massive typo error in all the Pentax marketing materials... the DA 35mm is f/2.4, because apparently the funky "Be Interesting" Pentax design engineers removed the "1" on their computer keyboards and had to make do with "2" instead. Had somebody bothered to get new keyboards for their design computers with the "1" intact, we might have got f/1.4 instead of f/2.4, something like this:

Nikon announces AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G lens: Digital Photography Review

Now we know why they want to come out with an f/1.4 lens but can't...
09-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #133
Site Supporter

There has been a massive typo error in all the Pentax marketing materials... the DA 35mm is f/2.4, because apparently the funky "Be Interesting" Pentax design engineers removed the "1" on their computer keyboards and had to make do with "2" instead. Had somebody bothered to get new keyboards for their design computers with the "1" intact, we might have got f/1.4 instead of f/2.4, something like this:

. . . and it lists for the low low low price of 1700 Pounds . . . but wait . . . there's more . . .
09-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #134
Veteran Member

But that's not really a problem is it? because Nikon users using entry-level Nikons keep upgrading their cameras when they quickly discover the shortcomings... and as we all know, the vast majority of newbies don't go beyond the kit lenses, and if they did it would likely be a better zoom. Only a few foray into prime territory...
I've lost track of what's going on in this thread. But isn't the point that if they go beyond the entry level camera, they won't mind going beyond the cheap f/1.8 prime? I mean, I'm not even an entry-level Nikon user and that's what I want to do.

Rigggght. But that lens isn't $90. It's, um, twenty times that. (Not an exaggeration.)
09-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #135
Site Supporter

I've lost track of what's going on in this thread. But isn't the point that if they go beyond the entry level camera, they won't mind going beyond the cheap f/1.8 prime? I mean, I'm not even an entry-level Nikon user and that's what I want to do.

Rigggght. But that lens isn't $90. It's, um, twenty times that. (Not an exaggeration.)
1700 Pounds is ~ $2,680 I don't have that much in a DA 21mm ltd, DA 35mm ltd, FA 50/1.4, FA 77mm ltd, DA* 300mm and DA 17-70mm.