Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
35mm/2.4 from your perspective

It could be a great lens. I'll admit, I was disappointed last night. That's not fair to pass judgement until it's been tested, as has been said by many already. However, here is where I believe they put themselves in a bind:

Making a lens slower than the competition, that looks a bit cheap (perhaps it's just the colored versions I've looked at), that is MSRP of $220, they are hedging their bets on quality. If they made a 1.8 (or there-a-bouts), and it wasn't tack sharp wide open, people would shrug and say that it was fine stopped down to 2.4, and that at this price point you should expect that. However, now that it's slower, and has several cost cuts built into it, people are going to expect great image quality. If it doesn't deliver, it will be a complete failure.

So while I have decided not to pass judgement, and not to buy one or swear it off, until it has been reviewed, I still don't think it was the best business move. Hopefully, they realized this, and have produced a lens with great quality, right from wide-open. If this is the case, it may be a brilliant move, as new shoppers for primes will compare it with other lenses in the aperture race.

09-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

My two cents:

* I don't give a crap about the competition. People get too caught up in this stuff.
* I do think the SR in some ways makes up for the 1/3-1/2 stop difference to the competition, if you really care.
* The street price will almost certainly be below the (Nikon, at least) competition's.
* I've never felt my DA Ltd's were "slow" lenses, nor has their max aperture ever affected my shooting.
* If it's as optically similar to the FA35/2 as it seems, it'll probably be a stellar performer.
* I think it coming in a variety of colors is pretty cool. Wish we got the full range over here, though.
09-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Clearly this is a budget level lens and will not compete with the Limiteds, but if the optics are decent, it could be a nice piece of kit for those who don't wish to spend much on a reasonably fast, normal focal length prime lens.

Rob
09-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think it's a great and unique kit option. When was the last time primes were sold as a kit lens, anyway?

Sure, I'd like more DoF control, but I still think it's great.

09-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Basically Which color should I go with, Silver or Black?

I've been looking for a 'normal' cheap prime for a while. Why not give it a go.. If I don't like it I can get most of my money back and if I do then ......
09-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I surely do not consider $200 a cheap price for anything...but we'll see how it does. or now color me taking those "...three-steps towards the door..mister .gimme those three steps towards the door..."
09-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
I surely do not consider $200 a cheap price for anything...but we'll see how it does. or now color me taking those "...three-steps towards the door..mister .gimme those three steps towards the door..."

I have one question (favor) to ask you . . . is your hair colored yellow? I'm sorry but I couldn't resist! Hysterical

09-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Clearly this is a budget level lens and will not compete with the Limiteds, but if the optics are decent, it could be a nice piece of kit for those who don't wish to spend much on a reasonably fast, normal focal length prime lens.

Rob
I suspect the optics will be better than decent assuming not QC problems with assembly and alignment. If Pentax slipped in the Ghotsless coating in there, it may be a surprise! That said, I would have preferred they add the SP and Ghostless coating to the FA with colored options.

Edit: Actually the FA 35/2 already had the Ghostless Coating so it is probably safe to assume the DA 35/2.4 does as well.
09-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I have one question (favor) to ask you . . . is your hair colored yellow? I'm sorry but I couldn't resist! :Hysterical:
hahahaha....niiiice...someone got it!!
09-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It is just a L lens...
09-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I suspect the optics will be better than decent assuming not QC problems with assembly and alignment. If Pentax slipped in the Ghotsless coating in there, it may be a surprise! That said, I would have preferred they add the SP and Ghostless coating to the FA with colored options.
I think you nailed the concern here...QC...if the whiff on the QC for this lense they will lose the novice shooters this lense is trying to get into the HoyaTax Ecosystem...they are going after a price ppoint where kids in HS can afford a nice body and a couple lenses if they save...but for around $1000 max they can have a very nice setup...that you can learn from, and if the gear is actually well made, these people will bond with the brand and hopefully wobble up the ladder to other options.

Still, it's nuttin' that really blow my skirt up... This is just for getting younger folks into the Pentax brand...
09-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IDK, the specs, price and apparent cost-cuts in construction leave me a bit cold, but if it is a good performer and can be offered as a kit option, it could set Pentax kits apart from the competition (which, as far as I know don't offer primes in their kits).

In the not-to-distant past a normal f/2.0 lens was the base option available in a kit. Seems kinda' lame that P'tax couldn't offer this or an f/1.8 as a cheap kit option. The retail price spec doesn't come close to matching what the competition has to offer. That said, if it adds, say $100 to the price of a kit, I may pick it up. I have a soft spot for primes (as I believe a lot of Pentax users do). I would probably pick this kit up over a kit with some kinda' newfangled zoom.
09-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

F2 would be great, but I rarely shoot my FA 50 faster than F2.8 for DOF reasons, so if it is passable at 2.4 and good at 2.8, I see no reason to fret, at least at this price point.

I do wish more n00bs would buy primes, hopefully an inexpensive, modern AF normal will help that.
09-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote
F2 would be great, but I rarely shoot my FA 50 faster than F2.8 for DOF reasons, so if it is passable at 2.4 and good at 2.8, I see no reason to fret, at least at this price point.
I have a 50mm A f/1.5 and the MF 5mm f/2.8 macro from Sigma. DOF is an important consideration. My fear is that the 2.8 macro is JUST fast enough to throw the background out of focus at f/2.8 in close portraits. I don't know if f/2.4 at 35mm will be quite enough to achieve this with portrait shots.

What do you guys think?
09-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jon.partsch Quote
I have a 50mm A f/1.5 and the MF 5mm f/2.8 macro from Sigma.

What do you guys think?
I think I want to see these lenses. They must each be one of a kind!