Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
I think I want to see these lenses. They must each be one of a kind!
oh lord, I guess my fingers messed up again. I meant: A 50mm f/1.7 and sigma macro 50mm f/2.8

Although, a 5mm f/2.8 would be awesome!!

09-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #17
Inactive Account

The new lens has one huge advantage: COLOR!

Remember that MOST people are NO professionals. See the world with child eyes. If a child see a lens which is black and see a lens which is colorful - what lens will end in his/her stomach then? ;-)

The most people DON'T know what f2.4 means. And when they see: Here is a black lens 35 mm, f2.0, $199 and they see a colorful lens 35 mm, f2.4, $230, they might assume: f2.4 is better than f2.0, because it's "higher".

The new lens is cheap (for pentax), easy to produce and is a good combination with the KR, because of its colors. In my opinion this lens is one of the biggest marketing gags from pentax ever. But I think a cheap, colorful zoom-lens would be a better combination for the success of the KR, because there are better solutions already - see the great Leica X1.
09-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Doesn't look like Pentax USA has any intention of offering it in a kit...
09-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Thanks for pooping on my dreams

09-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote

Apparently you can have any color you want through Pentax Imaging as long as its black.
09-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wololo Quote
The new lens has one huge advantage: COLOR!

Remember that MOST people are NO professionals. See the world with child eyes. If a child see a lens which is black and see a lens which is colorful - what lens will end in his/her stomach then? ;-)

The most people DON'T know what f2.4 means. And when they see: Here is a black lens 35 mm, f2.0, $199 and they see a colorful lens 35 mm, f2.4, $230, they might assume: f2.4 is better than f2.0, because it's "higher".

The new lens is cheap (for pentax), easy to produce and is a good combination with the KR, because of its colors. In my opinion this lens is one of the biggest marketing gags from pentax ever. But I think a cheap, colorful zoom-lens would be a better combination for the success of the KR, because there are better solutions already - see the great Leica X1.
Exactly. And no matter the performance of the lens, I'm sure it "will take better pictures" for a novice DSLR user. Let's face it folks, this lens is not designed for most of the posters on this forum. Oh, well.

Time to move some of these DA 35 f/2.4 and K-r discussions to the lens and DSLR discussion areas, I think.
09-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #22
Forum Member

Once its out and someone like DPreview gets their hands on it we'll know enough to really have some perspective on the lens. If its got decent image quality and the current guesses about the street price are accurate, I'll go for one.

09-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
It could be a great lens. I'll admit, I was disappointed last night.
I think it's not on par with the kit lenses the time the K50/1.7 was the kit lens, but...

The lens may be cheap enough to offer two kit options, either 18-55 zoom or 35/2 prime, at the same price.

I think that's this lens' raison d'etre. That's why all the color options are made too.

Stand alone, the 18-55 WR has an insane price too. But still, debundeld kit lenses sell cheap on the bay. May be a nice prime when catched at $30 from the bay
09-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
It is just a L lens...
And that's exactly why it isn't faster than 2.4!

Not just for cost-cutting reasons alone, but because starting at f2 or f1.8 the focal plane would be so shallow that "entry-level upgraders" would be returning the lenses when "every shot is out of focus and soft." Let's be honest here - I doubt even Safox IX will nail the eyelashes on a moving child every time at f1.8!

This is a lens for the newbies and casual shooters to "add to their kit," which also gets them into the prime lens territory that Pentax has well-covered. This is not meant to replace the FA31 or even DA35 Ltd, but rather to cost little, give a little bokeh to the kit-lens crowd, and get the 18-55 off the K-mount for a bit.

Plus, I totally expect B&H to sell it for $160 by the holidays...

(addendum: my DA70 is f2.4 max, and that's no slouch on my K-x or K20D!)
09-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #25
Veteran Member

The new 35mm f2.4 Lens with a PLASTIC MOUNT, I feel is very much overpriced (this Forum indicates over $ 200) - My dear Pentaxian friends, compare this to the 18-55 AL II Kit Lens which is much more complicated to manufacture, has a METAL MOUNT and costs around $ 100 brand new (in some deals even lesser).
And I am not comparing prices wit the Canikon equivalents.
I hope Pentax is listening to this, especially from a guy who has been an Advisor in one of the worlds biggest manufacturing company, and can appreciate manufacturing costs + pricing.
Wake up Pentax - these are difficult times.
09-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Just realized that I can now make a lens and camera combo to match my favorite sports teams! GO STEELERS!! Black and gold camera combo baby!!!
09-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #27

I agree with Wololo: Being able to colour-coordinate lens with camera is important if you are going to have a coloured camera. And I also agree with panoguy, that a shallow depth of field would cause problems for newbies.

I'd add that it sounds like the new camera will have even better low-light performance than the K-x, which means the lens doesn't have to be as fast. It'd be a mistake to judge this lens in isolation and not on the K-r body.
09-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #28
Veteran Member

No one's going to be able to color-coordinate except Japanese peeps (unless you import one yourself, or you want red or white).
09-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My perspective is...

...that Pentax finally has a prime lens on the market that I won't sweat walking the streets of LA with.

...that f2.4 is faster than 99% of the shots I take.

...that the DA L 35 could very easily become my go-to lens.

...that Pentax might have finally realized that there are may of their customers who cannot afford a $500+ "normal" prime, myself included, regardless of how good it is.

...that many of the members of this forum see Pentax as being "to good" to produce such a lens, that in order to bear the Pentax name and be a prime it must be expensive & most likely have an aluminum body. Sorry guys, Pentax isn't Leica. Stop being snobs.
09-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #30

forget the quickshift and metal mount, the golden version of the lens should have been pimped with lizard skin on the focus ring