Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
[B]=e K-mount for a bit.

Plus, I totally expect B&H to sell it for $160 by the holidays...
After the holidays. That's when to watch for the discounting.

09-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
My perspective is...

...that Pentax finally has a prime lens on the market that I won't sweat walking the streets of LA with.

...that f2.4 is faster than 99% of the shots I take.

...that the DA L 35 could very easily become my go-to lens.

...that Pentax might have finally realized that there are may of their customers who cannot afford a $500+ "normal" prime, myself included, regardless of how good it is.

...that many of the members of this forum see Pentax as being "to good" to produce such a lens, that in order to bear the Pentax name and be a prime it must be expensive & most likely have an aluminum body. Sorry guys, Pentax isn't Leica. Stop being snobs.
The major flawI see with the DAL 35/2.4 is that it does not compare on price with the faster Nikon 35/1.8. On brand comparison this is an issue of value. It helps those already loyal to Pentax or who have settled on the brand in any case, but it does not sell the brand in a competitive marketplace (unless we see some truly outstanding test results).

I see the price as US$30 too high. Street should be sub-US$150 to give Pentax value cred, IMNSHO.
09-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a gateway drug to the DA and FA Limiteds.
09-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'll give it 2-6 months to see where the street price stabilizes hopefully ~$175 and to see if a DA 35 WR /w hood, quick shift, and metal mount are around the corner for $X0 more. If that is not the case, I am in.

09-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #35

It's a Pentax brand AF capable Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35 2.4! Yay!!!! Well, not really, but close enough using the hybrid aspherical element, see for yourself, even the outer design is similar

Flektogon 35 2.4
09-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
It's a gateway drug to the DA and FA Limiteds.
Or not. We know that from the vigorous trade in K, M, and A MF lenses. All that use of 30 year-old glass comes at the expense of new purchases.

So it's a 2-edged sword. It may be "good enough" to have people say: "Why can't there be a DAL 70mm for $200?"

That is how gross revenues dive. This will only work if current users do buy that new, cheap 70 en masse, and, especially, if market share grows.
09-09-2010, 03:40 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I think it's a great and unique kit option. When was the last time primes were sold as a kit lens, anyway?
Yes very good point
Pete

09-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Or not. We know that from the vigorous trade in K, M, and A MF lenses. All that use of 30 year-old glass comes at the expense of new purchases.

So it's a 2-edged sword. It may be "good enough" to have people say: "Why can't there be a DAL 70mm for $200?"

That is how gross revenues dive. This will only work if current users do buy that new, cheap 70 en masse, and, especially, if market share grows.

For sure some will move from the DA35 as their first prime to K, M, and A MF lenses. But if we are talking about first time dSLR buyers (the K-x and K-r target), many will be uninterested in focusing for themselves and will want AF in their primes.

The DA35 is deliberately styled like the DA Limiteds and a DA35 owner holding a DA70 in their hands will hopefully understand where the extra cost goes, and enamored enough with the size and quality benefits that primes offer over zooms, a lesson they learned with their cheap and cheerful DA35.
09-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Looks like it could be a nifty lens. However, as for me...I'd like something that was an f/1.4.
09-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #40
Pentaxian

As a new lens and for new users, its... well.... ~"OK"~..

For old blokes who have a few lenses (me included). Nah! (thumbs down actually).
Who'd you think they are trying to con. Pentax had done better lenses and certainly can do better than this. Refusing to do a better lens (a crippled FA35/2 ) just to make the DA35ltd look good is a bad move. Many newbies look at specs and don't compare sample shots (harder to find anyway). They skim through the brochure and see the f2.4 vs f2 or f1.8 on a Canikon (even Samsung), they will buy that lens (and the camera too).
09-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I'm a wide angle freak, and haven't gotten around to getting the 40mm Limited, so I see this in my future as a light addition to the lens that won't take up much space.
09-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #42
and
Veteran Member

The colors are a great idea when they have the color choices on the kr
plastic barrel is ok, but I personally dont like plastic mount, feels very bad and not solid,
2.4 is way too slow, unless it was really small like the limiteds, which still are too slow.
if this was meant to be an affordable prime alternative to the old 50 f1.4 then well 2.4 doesnt replace a 1.4.
They have the designs for the fa 35 which is a fantastic lens and is f2 but very sharp at f2 why not make that more plasticy and sell it cheap, it wasnt that expensive when it was available.
09-09-2010, 05:37 PM   #43
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The Samsung 30mm f2 seems to go for <$300, now. I would've been happier if they created something similar, but I know a lot of people would.

For now we wait, and hope that the reviews come in well. If not, I take it as an omen of their fuure business model.
09-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Somewhat similar to Sony, their recent primes look like crap but review well optically for the most part. Guess I could live with that combo, sure beats the alternative - and personally I'll take the weight savings and let SR work a smidge harder.
09-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
For sure some will move from the DA35 as their first prime to K, M, and A MF lenses. But if we are talking about first time dSLR buyers (the K-x and K-r target), many will be uninterested in focusing for themselves and will want AF in their primes.

The DA35 is deliberately styled like the DA Limiteds and a DA35 owner holding a DA70 in their hands will hopefully understand where the extra cost goes, and enamored enough with the size and quality benefits that primes offer over zooms, a lesson they learned with their cheap and cheerful DA35.
But the majority won't reach for that extra bill in their wallet, not if it's IQ that counts, not the "feel" i your hand of the lens. They'll want a cheap and cheerful DAL prime line, like is being offered by Sony, by Nikon....

...it doesn't end here.