Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 06:25 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote

PS I have heard some complaints but fail to understand the price different between US, CAN, and he EU, which seem seem progressively worse.... why?
European prices include VAT, that is very high, varying between countries. In Italy it's 20%, I think to have read that in Ploland is 22%... in other countries it should be as low as 16%...

I also have read that USA prices don't include state sales tax, but I don't know if that's true, you should be able to clarify this to me.

09-13-2010, 07:29 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
European prices include VAT, that is very high, varying between countries. In Italy it's 20%, I think to have read that in Ploland is 22%... in other countries it should be as low as 16%...

I also have read that USA prices don't include state sales tax, but I don't know if that's true, you should be able to clarify this to me.
In the U.S. tax is not usually included in the price. I think it is to remind us how much we are paying.
09-13-2010, 08:08 AM   #93
Inactive Account

-No AF-S
-No metal mount (being a prime lens it will be changed more times than one changes a zoom lens while shooting)
-No faster than f:2
.. so, it must be much cheaper than the Nikon lens .

I would prefered a 35/1.8 lens, with metal mount, and WR in the place of AF-S at the same price as the nikon lens. I think that's would have been fair enough.
09-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #94
NKK
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote

25% in denmark

09-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unfocused Quote
Agreed about 28mm (or 30mm). This would produce the "ideal" perspective for APS-C just as the 1.9/43 did for film/full frame without resorting to the expensive lump of the 1.8/31mm. Give it f2.4, a 49 or 52mm filter thread and a built-in lens hood.

That's more my idea of a lightweight "standard".
Yeah, although the f.o.v. of 35mm on APS-C is not so bad either. I'll try the new 35mm, at least out of techie curiosity. Also, I think it looks cuter than FA 35 f/2.
09-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #96
Forum Member

Offered for £180 in UK (Park Cameras). Plastic mount is bad news, might well kill it. Silly mistake in my opinion.
09-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unfocused Quote
Offered for £180 in UK (Park Cameras). Plastic mount is bad news, might well kill it. Silly mistake in my opinion.
I don't think plastic mount by itself isn't that bad. Especially for such a light lens. Haven't heard anyone complaining about DA-L 18-55's.
But at current price it draws a lot of attention. It's material and quality becomes much more important. With metal mount lens, the mount doesn't rise any questions.

It does however devalue the lens and make one underestimate it's other properties until they become known.

I wonder if the mount part can be swapped - e.g. with my 50-200 which i don't mount so often. Or is the lens rear a single piece, including the mount.

Btw. Is it pre-order or already available? I wonder if i should get FA35 for 300Eur while it's still available and live on rice and water.

09-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
I don't think plastic mount by itself isn't that bad. Especially for such a light lens. Haven't heard anyone complaining about DA-L 18-55's.
But at current price it draws a lot of attention. It's material and quality becomes much more important. With metal mount lens, the mount doesn't rise any questions.

It does however devalue the lens and make one underestimate it's other properties until they become known.

I wonder if the mount part can be swapped - e.g. with my 50-200 which i don't mount so often. Or is the lens rear a single piece, including the mount.

Btw. Is it pre-order or already available? I wonder if i should get FA35 for 300Eur while it's still available and live on rice and water.
Based on the pictures on RH's blog (sep 10), FA35 and DA35 have eerily similar optical formulas.
09-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #99
Veteran Member

I hate when i hit backspace outside textbox, with long reply just finished...

My main points were:
-I dont know much about optics, but there are standard constructions. Triplets, retrofocus designs etc. Same type of construction at same focal length might yield very similar lens.

-I doubt they simply machine/grind down FA's lens elements to smaller size. Different element manufacture and assembly. It might be like CZ Tessar and Industar 50-2, Biotar or Helios. Same, but not.

-There was something more i was saying but don't remember anymore.
09-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #100
Veteran Member

-I doubt they simply machine/grind down FA's lens elements to smaller size..
Did you look at the diagrams? When compared to the front element and the rear element, the elements in DA look like they have a smaller diameter. It looks like they ground down the edges of the elements...that's why it's a f/2.4 lens.
09-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, from my perspective, what pricks up my ears a bit is how it's billed on *sharpness across the frame.* If it performs well in that way, and is reasonably light and compact, it may actually be something of minor interest to me. An FA 35/2 would probably fill my needs better, (I actually use the actual speed sometimes, and full-frame happens, considering I still shoot film, but the simple fact is my fast Sigma 28 is a *beast.* But I like it for the same reasons I see promise in what that this lens is billed with: edge sharpness. When I use a wider lens, including normals, the subjects often aren't near the center.
Could you clarify something here for me? Are you saying you like the Sigma 28 (I'm assuming its the f/1.8) because it actually IS sharp across the frame... or because the wide angle allows you to keep you subjects in the sharp area away from the margins? I've been considering the Sigma 28 on and off again for some time. The price is right but it is big and heavy for a prime. Still, if it really is that sharp as well as being that fast at the perfect focal length for APS-C...
09-14-2010, 01:48 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Could you clarify something here for me? Are you saying you like the Sigma 28 (I'm assuming its the f/1.8) because it actually IS sharp across the frame... or because the wide angle allows you to keep you subjects in the sharp area away from the margins? I've been considering the Sigma 28 on and off again for some time. The price is right but it is big and heavy for a prime. Still, if it really is that sharp as well as being that fast at the perfect focal length for APS-C...
If you are not limited by budget buy 31/1.8 ltd. It's as good as a lens can get. I suspect Zeiss didn't released their new 35mm/1.4 on K-mount to avoid comparison.
09-14-2010, 01:54 AM   #103
Forum Member

Inviting pre-orders. Expected mid-October. According to Park Camera's blurb the lens has SP coating to the front and ghostless coating (presumably to the rear). Minimum focus 0.3m.

Claimed equivalent focal length is 53.5mm. Curiously it's the same 6/5 construction as the old 'K' 55s.

I've never had a lens with a plastic mount and wouldn't start now. Didn't know about the DA-L 18~55. I have two versions (standard DA and mk2) and both have chrome-steel mounts.
09-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by montecarlo Quote
-No AF-S
What? AF-S is a function of the camera body, not the lens.

QuoteQuote:
I would prefered a 35/1.8 lens, with metal mount, and WR in the place of AF-S at the same price as the nikon lens. I think that's would have been fair enough.
... And now you seem to be contradicting yourself. I'm confused!
09-14-2010, 04:07 PM   #105
Forum Member

I have a 1:2.8 zoom, and don't see the need to spend 200 for half a stop of light and dof control. If it was f2 or f1.8 and under $250, then I'd be pre ordering it.