Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #196
Banned

Photos: Albums
The 35/2.4 seems to be an excellent lens from the shots posted so far.

09-27-2010, 01:08 AM   #197
Veteran Member

The rendering wide open looks great from what can be seen. More like 31ltd than fa35 IMO
Looks much nicer than nikon 35/1.8. will have to see what sharpness is like but looks like a winner.
Shots are here
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/115913-any-sam...5mm-prime.html
09-27-2010, 04:45 AM   #198
Veteran Member

I didn't see any bad pictures so far, but where can I find the good pictures?
- Stupid, just see above post, thanks...
09-27-2010, 05:02 AM   #199
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd buy it if i didn't have the FA35 I bought last year. Looks great considering the low price tag.

09-27-2010, 05:15 AM   #200
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Maybe so, at least for some people. The 50 mm focal length didn't work too well for me and I didn't shoot that particular lens much wider than f2.8 anyway, so I guess it didn't really work for me.

As far as depth of field goes, there really isn't that much different between f2.4 and f1.8 at 35mm. Shooting a subject 3 meters away, at f1.8 you will have a depth of field of .55 meters and f2.4 a depth of field of .7 meters.

The biggest reasons to shoot primes at this point are for edge to edge sharpness, bokeh and small size. Otherwise, zooms match up well. In most situations, I would far rather shoot at f4 and bump my iso than open up the lens too wide and have out of focus shots.
Some good points there, and I would also agree that a compact and light 35mm is the best way to get new buyers into primes. I am also one for whom the 50 never sang on APS-C as a prime. The DA40 or FA35 are far more useful to me when I can't zoom in or out.

I won't be going out of my way to buy the new lens, because I have so many ways to get at or near that FL already, and three of them are at about the same speed. However, if I were buying the Kr today as my first DSLR, it would be an attractive option.
09-27-2010, 05:16 AM   #201
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, looks like this modern day plastic fantastic has just ticked the clinching checkbox for a winning formula: good IQ wide open.

I'll be keen to see MTF data published on this little beauty soon...
09-27-2010, 05:48 AM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Some good points there, and I would also agree that a compact and light 35mm is the best way to get new buyers into primes. I am also one for whom the 50 never sang on APS-C as a prime. The DA40 or FA35 are far more useful to me when I can't zoom in or out.

I won't be going out of my way to buy the new lens, because I have so many ways to get at or near that FL already, and three of them are at about the same speed. However, if I were buying the Kr today as my first DSLR, it would be an attractive option.
I am on that boat, with this lens next to a camera with the two kit zoom lenses I am set to get started. Later on I will decide with which longer prime and/or fast tele zoom to enhance my set.
- This cheap, still relative fast, 35 mm AF prime is nice to get used to primes with, especially for indoor usage (or own kids outdoor = not to far away) and its compactness makes it a perfect walkaround lens on K-x/K-r as well.

Oh, in the meantime I got an used UWA AF Zoom (TBC) as well as some cheap old MF lenses, including the more expensive but A 50 mm F1.4. (signs of LBA..., still considering the 1.7x AF TC - living in Japan until the end of this year).

09-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #203
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
The irony is that this Nikkor 35mm is an APSC lens and that (AFAWK) this Pentax 35mm is a full frame lens
Interesting. But what evidence is there that it really is an FF lens? Because it is based on the FA 35? Then why isn't it f2.0? The fact that it is f2.4 suggests that the more probable hypothesis is that it is an APS-C lens.
09-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #204
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Interesting. But what evidence is there that it really is an FF lens? Because it is based on the FA 35? Then why isn't it f2.0? The fact that it is f2.4 suggests that the more probable hypothesis is that it is an APS-C lens.
Frankly, there is as much evidence that indicate that it is ff than there is that it isn't. However, the elements in the DA are about 1mm less in diameter. They layout is the same. The FA and DA both have Ghostless Coating.
09-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #205
Veteran Member

The Nikkor equivalent does work fairly well on full-frame, btw: Nikon 35mm F1.8 & D700 - a set on Flickr and Nikon 35mm f1.8 DX has FX coverage.
10-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #206
Site Supporter

Adorama has the DA 35mm/2.4 on pre-order for $219 shipped. I'm wondering if it ends up being $186

Pentax SMCP-DA 35mm f/2.4 AL Wide Angle Auto Focus Lens

As of now, Pentax Imaging doesn't have a list price for it nor pre-order.
10-15-2010, 06:29 AM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Adorama has the DA 35mm/2.4 on pre-order for $219 shipped. I'm wondering if it ends up being $186
This is unexpectedly looking to be an attractive proposition, if (and when) the price does get discounted down to realistic layperson levels then it fulfills a Pentax equivalent to Canikon cheap, effective and very decent nifty fifty.

35 is so nice and practical for APS-C too.

I am so sick of hearing the excuse and well-worn cliches that there is plenty of "old, second hand" lenses available "cheap" for Pentax owners.

Which is OK for geekoids who want nostalgic, manual, used, technology I suppose.
Real people don't -- they prefer to use Windows too, not compile-your-own-if-you-don't-like-it Loonix.

.R.
10-15-2010, 06:42 AM   #208

"Real people"? I don't think you'll find many Pentax users who are 'real people'. :-p
10-15-2010, 07:14 AM   #209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Impartial Quote
"Real people"? I don't think you'll find many Pentax users who are 'real people'. :-p
Hehe, true.
But it's ONLY real people who can grow serious market penetration numbers.

Don't you think that this is a product aimed to attract 'real people' onto the Pentax gravy train as a brand option for them?

I smell it as a clever move - the same tact as the EVIL makers do in offering a small sharp prime as an affordable option to the "default" zoom, to make the buyers photography experience output 'nicer'.

It want a Nipple Pink one.

.R.
10-15-2010, 07:29 AM   #210
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Not news or rumor. Moved to lens forum.