Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I think the plastic loving crowd don't get it with metal. It is actually linked to build quality and craftsmanship and longevity of a lens. The lenses in the FA prime series were very good optically but their build was minimal. That said, with exception of the stainless steel mount, the DA L 35/2.4 AL build may be as good, quite possible better than the old FA due to a potentially better focus ring. The factor here will come down to assembly Q.C.
I see your argument, but consider this: Most modern Ferrari automobiles are made primarily out of carbon fiber, not metal, and are considered much better built than their steel predecessors. In other words, it is not just what it is made out of, it is how it is made. Some of the old FA lenses were of questionable build quality.

09-11-2010, 01:08 AM   #17
Veteran Member

35/2.4 rings a bell with metal maniacs :-) This thing is 35 years old and the metal still has not dissolved.

09-11-2010, 02:58 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
35/2.4 rings a bell with metal maniacs :-) This thing is 35 years old and the metal still has not dissolved.
I think I'll hold on to my Flektogon too. It can't possibly be much worse than the new DA, or can it?
09-11-2010, 03:54 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA-L 12-24mm, that would be nice

09-13-2010, 05:00 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
This new lens shares its optics with the legendary FA 35
Pentax never wrote that. People assumed that...
09-13-2010, 05:47 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I see your argument, but consider this: Most modern Ferrari automobiles are made primarily out of carbon fiber, not metal, and are considered much better built than their steel predecessors. In other words, it is not just what it is made out of, it is how it is made. Some of the old FA lenses were of questionable build quality.
Plastic on the lens body does not bother me at all, for exactly the reason you give. Plastic on the lens mount of a prime lens is another question. That Ferrari probably does not have a lot of wear surfaces that are plastic.

There may be studies or research to show that plastic mounts are fine, and I hope that is true. A consumer zoom probably tends to stay on the camera for long periods of time. However, I like to do most of my serious shooting with a bag of compact primes, and on my recent vacation I was doing more than a dozen changes an hour some days. Many of my prime lenses have been with me for 30 years. I suspect I was doing almost the same thing in the 80s, (though I used multiple bodies more often with film) but never had EXIF data to make it obvious. I wonder how a plastic mount will hold up to that.
09-13-2010, 06:53 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Pentax never wrote that. People assumed that...
If people love the FA 35 so much, why don;t they just buy one? They are only a few 100 more than this new lens...

People want everything for free
09-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
If people love the FA 35 so much, why don;t they just buy one? They are only a few 100 more than this new lens...

Yes, but they are also significantly more than when Pentax sold them new. I'm not dissing this new one, but I wonder whether Pentax couldn't have made more money by just re-releasing the FA 35/2 with a new coating as a D FA.

09-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Yes, but they are also significantly more than when Pentax sold them new. I'm not dissing this new one, but I wonder whether Pentax couldn't have made more money by just re-releasing the FA 35/2 with a new coating as a D FA.
hmmmm...interesting scenario. although IMO, if they preserved the same optical formula of the FA35/2 in a different body like the FA LTD and sold for about $400, they may sell more. I don't think that tweaking the rendering of the FA35 would help the demise of the already super expensive FA31. so probably a lil bit of coating would be enough.
09-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
hmmmm...interesting scenario. although IMO, if they preserved the same optical formula of the FA35/2 in a different body like the FA LTD and sold for about $400, they may sell more. I don't think that tweaking the rendering of the FA35 would help the demise of the already super expensive FA31. so probably a lil bit of coating would be enough.
True, but if they put it in an FA LTD body, I doubt they would sell it for $400. The FA 35/2 is offered at closer to $600 on Ebay these days, with the Samsung version coming in at close fo $500.
09-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #26
Pentaxian

But everything was cheaper back when the FA35 was actually being made. If we had a time machine we could get the FA50 for $200, the DA40 for $200, and a bag of Takumars for $10.

But time marches on.

My point is that if they continued to manufacture the FA35 in the year 2010, it would cost more than it used to. And a lot more than a DAL35.
09-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
But everything was cheaper back when the FA35 was actually being made. If we had a time machine we could get the FA50 for $200, the DA40 for $200, and a bag of Takumars for $10.

But time marches on.

My point is that if they continued to manufacture the FA35 in the year 2010, it would cost more than it used to. And a lot more than a DAL35.
I believe you could pick an FA 35/2 up for about $250 a few years ago when it was discontinued, and I would expect that would be more now. I'm also sure it would cost more than the DAL, but I can't really see why it would have to cost a LOT more. The engineering that went into creating the DAL35 offsets some of the cost savings of eliminating an aperture ring and a metal mount, and those things don't chop all that much off the cost.
09-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
True, but if they put it in an FA LTD body, I doubt they would sell it for $400. The FA 35/2 is offered at closer to $600 on Ebay these days, with the Samsung version coming in at close fo $500.
is that a brand new price or a used one? got mine last year less than $300 from a former forum member. jumped on it as soon as I had seen it. although it was said that they had discontinued the product, I never expected the lens to balloon up in price that high.

I had seen eBay, some Japan-based sellers, the camerastore in Calgary and the Pentax webstore still sell the lens at a higher premium, I'm thinking if the lens is really discontinued or they are really on their last remaining copies for disposal of which their numbers is unknown. although you can still find some used copies cheaper than $500-$600, at around $300-$450 (Pentax version) in the used market which is a better option.

I would think that Pentax priced the FA35 at this range, because it's the cheap alternative to the FA31. so probably Pentax priced the FA35 half of that of the FA31's price.

some might even consider the cheaper or equally priced FA43. but the focal length and bokeh is quite questionable for certain uses such as portraiture.

I haven't tried the FA43, but had tried both FA31 and FA35. now if the FA43 seems to render the same as the FA35 (bokeh-wise) and I see that I have enough headroom or liked the FA43's focal length as it is, I would then consider selling my FA35. the built quality is just too hard to ignore. also it is smaller and lighter than the two other lenses.
09-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote

NOS is being sold at ~ 2x the $299 they were selling for when they were canceled. I made on offer on one 2 weeks ago with a guy in Japan. He had $575 o.b.o. I offered $375. He countered with $555. I told him to keep it. Then this puppy got announced. However, I was interested in acquiring the FA 35/2 mainly for my MZ-3 body in addition to the slightly faster aperture on the dSLR for evening shooting on dSLR. However, I can make do with my DA 35 ltd and various 35mm Taks including my Auto Tak 35/2.3.
09-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
is that a brand new price or a used one? got mine last year less than $300 from a former forum member. jumped on it as soon as I had seen it. although it was said that they had discontinued the product, I never expected the lens to balloon up in price that high.

I had seen eBay, some Japan-based sellers, the camerastore in Calgary and the Pentax webstore still sell the lens at a higher premium, I'm thinking if the lens is really discontinued or they are really on their last remaining copies for disposal of which their numbers is unknown. although you can still find some used copies cheaper than $500-$600, at around $300-$450 (Pentax version) in the used market which is a better option.

I would think that Pentax priced the FA35 at this range, because it's the cheap alternative to the FA31. so probably Pentax priced the FA35 half of that of the FA31's price.

some might even consider the cheaper or equally priced FA43. but the focal length and bokeh is quite questionable for certain uses such as portraiture.

I haven't tried the FA43, but had tried both FA31 and FA35. now if the FA43 seems to render the same as the FA35 (bokeh-wise) and I see that I have enough headroom or liked the FA43's focal length as it is, I would then consider selling my FA35. the built quality is just too hard to ignore. also it is smaller and lighter than the two other lenses.
The operative word is you got it last year before people realized it had been canceled. The were $299 shipped from BH & Adorama when canceled.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote

But time marches on.

Yeah but that was ~ 2 years ago. You make it sound like you are talking about the 80s or something.