Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New 35mm f2.4 DAL Lens

This new lens is welcome. However may I ask how many Pentaxian Pros or the Advanced Amateur would like to buy a plastic mount lens at a price of over $ 200 as indicated in this Forum. My Pentaxian Friends, compare this to the 18-55 AL II Kit Lens which is much more complicated to manufacture, has a METAL MOUNT and costs only around $ 109 brand new - my daughter bought hers from a Buy com retailer for $ 96.
I hope Pentax is listening to this, that too from a man who has been an Advisor in one of the worlds biggest manufacturing company, and can appreciate manufacturing costs + pricing.
Wake up Pentax - these are difficult times !!!!

SMC Pentax-DA L 35mm F2.4 AL Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database

09-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Several threads on this already.
09-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter

laugh

On days like today, I'm glad I'm nod a mod.
09-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
This new lens is welcome. However may I ask how many Pentaxian Pros or the Advanced Amateur would like to buy a plastic mount lens at a price of over $ 200 as indicated in this Forum. My Pentaxian Friends, compare this to the 18-55 AL II Kit Lens which is much more complicated to manufacture, has a METAL MOUNT and costs only around $ 109 brand new - my daughter bought hers from a Buy com retailer for $ 96.
I hope Pentax is listening to this, that too from a man who has been an Advisor in one of the worlds biggest manufacturing company, and can appreciate manufacturing costs + pricing.
Wake up Pentax - these are difficult times !!!!
you got to be kidding me, right?

09-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

nanhi, I don't mean to sound abrupt, but I believe you've got a lot of false perceptions here about what it takes to build lenses, and therefore the value of primes vs. zooms.

I won't even bother going into such a discussion - indeed there are several depressing threads about the 'shortcomings' of the 35/2.4 - you may as well stick to your kit lens if this is your inclination...

Sorry, I don't believe your 'Advisor in one of the worlds biggest manufacturing company' claim has any credibility here...
09-10-2010, 05:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If you're not happy with the lens, don't buy it, it's as simple as that. People have been wishing for a cheap, 35-ish lens, for quite some time, and now that it's here some people still whine.

Regarding plastic... the misconception that plastic is necessarily worse than metal dates from the early ages of plastic products. The fact is that you can make plastics any way you want, as sturdy as you want, as complex as you want. A plastic mount does not have to be worse than a metal mount, except in some people's perceptions.
09-10-2010, 06:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
nanhi, I don't mean to sound abrupt, but I believe you've got a lot of false perceptions here about what it takes to build lenses, and therefore the value of primes vs. zooms.

I won't even bother going into such a discussion - indeed there are several depressing threads about the 'shortcomings' of the 35/2.4 - you may as well stick to your kit lens if this is your inclination...

Sorry, I don't believe your 'Advisor in one of the worlds biggest manufacturing company' claim has any credibility here...
He has a valid point regarding manufacturing cost of the 18-55mm II and WR compared to the DA 35/2.4 AL. That does make the cost savings of switching to a plastic polycarbonate mount interesting. Of course there's also the DA L versions of the three DA Zooms but the pricing isn't so clear because those are bundled with kits. However, until the actual street price is known, its hard to really make a final statement.

The DA 35 has a couple of advantages over the old FA though, SP and focus ring.
The FA has a metal mount and f2 at which it was sharp plus the aperture ring.
The one thing that isn't clear at this point is whether or not the DA 35 has the Ghostless Coating on the rear element like the FA had or if Pentax redesigned the rear element especially since the elements are slightly smaller in diameter to the FA.

Last edited by Blue; 09-10-2010 at 06:27 AM.
09-10-2010, 06:17 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
If you're not happy with the lens, don't buy it, it's as simple as that. People have been wishing for a cheap, 35-ish lens, for quite some time, and now that it's here some people still whine.
Why is it o.k. when you whine about people that have different opinions? Some people will buy this lens and some won't. It likely has excellent optics given its heritage. Depending on the street price point and GQ it will probably sell quite well.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Regarding plastic... the misconception that plastic is necessarily worse than metal dates from the early ages of plastic products. The fact is that you can make plastics any way you want, as sturdy as you want, as complex as you want. A plastic mount does not have to be worse than a metal mount, except in some people's perceptions.
I think the plastic loving crowd don't get it with metal. It is actually linked to build quality and craftsmanship and longevity of a lens. The lenses in the FA prime series were very good optically but their build was minimal. That said, with exception of the stainless steel mount, the DA L 35/2.4 AL build may be as good, quite possible better than the old FA due to a potentially better focus ring. The factor here will come down to assembly Q.C.
09-10-2010, 06:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Any time a some new electronic device (camera, computer, etc..) makes an announcement before actually releasing the actual product, people pick the specs apart and ultimately decide that it is garbage based upon specs alone, without ever using the product. How anybody can do a review or state opinions and make claims about performance without ever actually using the product is beyond me.

Then, when the product is actually released, you don't hear those people griping about specs, numbers, or materials used anymore.
09-10-2010, 06:27 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Any time a some new electronic device (camera, computer, etc..) makes an announcement before actually releasing the actual product, people pick the specs apart and ultimately decide that it is garbage based upon specs alone, without ever using the product. How anybody can do a review or state opinions and make claims about performance without ever actually using the product is beyond me.

Then, when the product is actually released, you don't hear those people griping about specs, numbers, or materials used anymore.
Actually, if you go through these threads, you will find that they are more objective that you realize. This new lens shares its optics with the legendary FA 35 and the DA 35 is expected to be on par with it optically. You contradict yourself with your fanboy comment regarding people that are critique the gear rather than simply praising it because it has Pentax on the front.
09-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote

The DA 35 has a couple of advantages over the old FA though, SP and focus ring.

huh? are you saying the FA doesn't have a focus ring?
09-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
huh? are you saying the FA doesn't have a focus ring?
I believe he means proper ribbed focusing ring, oof decent thickness as opposed narrow strip of rubber on the old FA35. Question remains how well damped and how good feel this focusing ring will have... We'll just have to wait and see
09-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I believe he means proper ribbed focusing ring, oof decent thickness as opposed narrow strip of rubber on the old FA35. Question remains how well damped and how good feel this focusing ring will have... We'll just have to wait and see
yes, that what I was referring to. That is a good point about the damping aspect.
09-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm personally waiting for a DAL 12-24mm lens. Anyone else with me? haha
09-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
yes, that what I was referring to. That is a good point about the damping aspect.
thanks for the clarification.