Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Amazon "Open Box" Lenses

I just ordered a 55 1.4 from Amazon, listed as Used-Very Good. The listing states: "Open box unit. Cosmetic blemishes on main unit. Cosmetic blemishes on accessory. Minor damage to outer box. Package resealed. All purchases eligible for Amazon customer service and 30 day return policy."

I know it was sold by Amazon, or at least their Warehouse Deals wing, because I got 2-day shipping free via Prime.

The cost was a good $150 less than a new, sealed specimen. I figure if worst comes to worst I can return it and buy a new one, but I was wondering: has anyone else purchased an open box lens from Amazon, and if so what was your experience?

09-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I once bought a "new" 16-45 through an Amazon reseller. It was coated in dust, had scratched optics, and was clearly used. I returned it immediately.

The reseller apologized and paid for return shipping.

The thing is, they sold the lens at a "used" price compared to everybody else at the time. Less than $200 when it was selling for $270 (at the time). And if it wasn't for the scratched glass I might have cleaned off the dust and kept it.
09-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #3

i purchased an fa 43 ltd from the "used" section of amazon and assumed from the description that it was an item with probable cosmetic damage to the box alone. that indeed proved to be the case. it was in perfect condition and turned out to be an assembled in japan version. i did know i was taking a chance, but it was covered by the 30-day return policy. i still have it. it would be flawless but for its owner.
09-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I purchased my Kx with the 50-200 two lens kit in March for $130 less than the price for a new (warehouse-deals on Amazon). It had 600 actuation on it and you cold not tell that it was used at all. I am still a happy KX owner.

09-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Patk and agsy: those are testimonials I am looking for.

Aegon: Glad it worked out OK for you!

Hopefully warehouse-deals will work out for me like it has you.
09-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
Forum Member

Most all of the lenses that I've bought from Warehouse deals have shown no sign of any type of use or handling. My DA* 16-50 came with a battered box, but everything inside was mint. As mentioned, Amazon's 30day returns take a great load off you shoulders.
09-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I am looking forward to getting the lens! Glad everyone's had good experiences with Warehouse Deals.

09-11-2010, 03:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If you watch those sales closely, the longer the item stays for sale, the more they drop the price. There is a Tammy 28-75 for sale and in a week they dropped the price from 479 to 449.
09-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With used items you really never know what will actually show up. However, with Amazon - you know that you can at least send it back, and have your money returned. So, really in the end you have little at risk - other than a bit of inconvenience.

I purchased a used (mint condition) DA 21/3.2 about a year ago. What actually showed up was a FA 31/1.8 Ltd, absolutely mint, made in Japan lens, in the pouch - no box.

Not complaining at all (the lens is everything everyone claims it is - I doubt seriously I will ever part with it), but with little to risk, it is certainly a reasonable approach to take.

09-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I just bought a "mint lens, damaged box" lens and got one with a little dent in the corner. Maybe crushed by 1mm, not enough to worry about and 99% of merchants would sell this as undamaged. I'm very happy because the lens appears to have been entirely untouched and takes nice photos. I'll be doing this again when appropriate.
09-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not a lens, but I picked up an AF540FGZ "open box" from Warehouse Deals about 2 years ago for ... $140 shipped. It may have been opened, but it had never been unpacked from the factory wrappings.
10-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by agsy Quote
If you watch those sales closely, the longer the item stays for sale, the more they drop the price. There is a Tammy 28-75 for sale and in a week they dropped the price from 479 to 449.
Yeah, the day after I ordered it Amazon dropped the price by about $20. Oh well, such is life...

To follow up, the lens arrived in great shape. The manual is gone from the box, but the lens, hood, original caps, warranty card, and case are all here. I have done some testing; in the field, in the studio, and "pixel peeping" and don't see any problems with the lens at all. A few very light scuffs/scratches on the lens hood, but the lens body and glass is pristine.

Speaking of warranty, is there one? I have the warranty card but since it was technically a used lens, I don't know for sure...
10-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
With used items you really never know what will actually show up. However, with Amazon - you know that you can at least send it back, and have your money returned. So, really in the end you have little at risk - other than a bit of inconvenience.

I purchased a used (mint condition) DA 21/3.2 about a year ago. What actually showed up was a FA 31/1.8 Ltd, absolutely mint, made in Japan lens, in the pouch - no box.

Not complaining at all (the lens is everything everyone claims it is - I doubt seriously I will ever part with it), but with little to risk, it is certainly a reasonable approach to take.

Holy crap! What a score!
10-05-2010, 02:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote

Man I would certainly take a FA 31 for the price of the DA 21!! Great buy!!
10-05-2010, 04:21 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
Yeah, the day after I ordered it Amazon dropped the price by about $20. Oh well, such is life...

To follow up, the lens arrived in great shape. The manual is gone from the box, but the lens, hood, original caps, warranty card, and case are all here. I have done some testing; in the field, in the studio, and "pixel peeping" and don't see any problems with the lens at all. A few very light scuffs/scratches on the lens hood, but the lens body and glass is pristine.

Speaking of warranty, is there one? I have the warranty card but since it was technically a used lens, I don't know for sure...
I would say that that warranty should be fine. If you have a receipt from Amazon you are basically the first true owner. You might look into an extended warranty for it too, like with MACK or Square Trade.