Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
Forum Member

How to handle lens warranty work?

To all,

I badly need some advice.

I recently bought a Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 lens, that has turned out to be very soft. I wrote about it in this DPR thread:
Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 tests: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

As mentioned in that thread, the lens has an extended warranty, of which there is about a year and a half left.

I have never had to send a lens in before, so I'm not sure what the process is. I was a bit confused by the paperwork I got with the lens.

I have the following:
  1. The original receipt dated October 22, 2008, obviously showing the original owner as the purchaser (it was bought from 17th Street Photo).
  2. A pink-colored "Sigma Limited Warranty." This is the original one-year warranty, so it obviously is not applicable.
  3. A blue-and-white colored "Sigma Warranty Card." I'm not sure if this is part of the original warranty, or part of the extended warranty.
  4. A red-and-white colored "1 Year International Plus 3 Year Extended USA Warranty." Unfortunately, it says the warranty much be registered within 30 days from the date of retail purchase.
I got concerned, because but it appears now that I cannot use the extended warranty, since I myself did not purchase it from a retail outlet.

If I were to use the original receipt from October 2008, I would not be the original purchaser, nor would I be in the 30-day time-frame.

I went to Sigma's web site to truy and get more info:
Sigma - Service - Register your new Sigma

Unfortunately, I have to to register the lens on Sigma's site, and enter I have to enter the dealer name. I'm not sure how to do that. I don't want to enter any false or incorrect information. Entering 17th Street seems wrong, because I did not buy the lens from them. entering the eBay seller also seems wrong, or at least, it seems like Sigma would not honor the warranty, because the eBay seller is not himself a Sigma retailer.

I e-mailed the seller asking if he had already applied for the warranty? He e-mailed me back and said that he did not send in any paperwork.

The seller is willing to help out in whatever way he can. He e-,mailed me back and said that
had in the past sent a Sigma DSLR for repair to Sigma New York. He said he "called the guys at Sigma directly and they took care of the case without asking about registration card or anything else. The only thing they needed was the serial number so they could confirm it’s not a grey market and a copy of the original receipt along with the package sent to them. They replaced the camera for free, hassle free."

The seller has also offered to contact Sigma, saying, "If you feel uncomfortable to call them, please scan and send me the original receipt and the serial number of the lens and I will deal with the situation."

I guess I just don't know how to proceed. I have never dealt with a warranty-type situation like this before. (I guess I've been lucky.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Greg

09-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
D W
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gkreth Quote
To all,

The seller has also offered to contact Sigma, saying, "If you feel uncomfortable to call them, please scan and send me the original receipt and the serial number of the lens and I will deal with the situation."
Simple:

Take him up on his offer to contact Sigma and get a name of a person to send the lens to.

You then send the lens to Sigma and have them send it back to you.
09-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yeah, I agree with the above.

However, if you have the original receipt from the eBay seller (i.e., the receipt s/he got from buying it from 17th Street) you can claim that the seller is a friend and bought it for you as a gift. Sigma has no way of proving this false. I had my 70-200/2.8 serviced under warranty this way.

Of course, this is lying (albeit to a corporation). Let your morals dictate your course of action. :P