Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #1

Need help choosing a lens...

Ok, so I built an underwater housing for my K10. Haven't built a port yet for the lens because I haven't picked one.
Here's my dilemma.
I can't use a dome port because it has to be centered perfectly to cut out distortion.

Ideally I want a wide angle lens. Duh. this is a problem with flat ports because they tend to distort if they are too far away.

So I need a relatively inexpensive *still in college on a budget*, wide angle lens, with internal focus. Doesn't need to be relatively fast since it will get stopped way down anyway. Doesn't need to be macro as I won't be using it anywhere with coral anytime soon.

Thanks guys

09-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a listing of all Pentax lenses with internal focus: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/showcat.php?mcats=34,43,61,51,33,30,44,31,29,45,28,42,27,41,26,40,46,47&si=[IF]&what=title&name=&when=&whenterm=&dist=&radius=

Only the DA 12-24mm comes to mind for me, and maybe the 17-70mm. Those aren't exactly budget lenses, though. Why not just use a waterproof optio for the purpose? Doubt that the photos would be much worse than those from a DSLR, because of the casing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
Was hoping it would be prime, just because zoo is not gonna happen. Optio doesn't go deep enough, and the lag is a big problem...

I may just build it for the kit lens, as it will need to be stopped way down anyway to about f8 to get DoF right. Shouldn't be that big of an issue.
Thanks
09-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wide angle and inexpensive is an oxymoron. Pentax glass you have the DA 15 ltd (small and light, new lens), DA 14 (fast, large and heavy), and there is a older 17 I believe. Since you need auto focusing, I believe that is your selection list.

Sigma and Tamron also have some. Tokina does not do Pentax mounts any longer (due to their sharing designs with Pentax in the past).

Zeiss, CJZ, etc are all manual focus.

So, I believe that is your universe from which to choose. Not an especially large one and it is not populated with inexpensive glass. Your best bet will be used glass. Check Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com for some availability, along with the marketplace here on the Forum.

Just remember a 20mm lens on the APS-c sensor has the equivalent field of view on a 35mm camera of 30mm (20mm x 1.5 crop factor = 30mm). Plus the wider you go the higher the cost.

hope that helps...

09-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I believe the kit lens set on 18mm should work just fine. At f-8, the IQ is hard to beat. At least you could start with that, and if your finances improve, get the DA 15mm Limited--finest lens I've owned in about 40 years of serious photography.
09-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #6

Original Poster
ya, I've got a fair share of expensive lenses, but I just didn't want to spend a whole lot on what I'm just going to be using for UW. I love the kit lens for random stuff just walking around, and didn't think about how short the focus throw actually is. Looked at it tonight and that is going to be negligible in the long run.
Thanks guys

My 16-50 DA* is uh, well, staying out of the water
09-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Saxplayer1004 Quote
ya, I've got a fair share of expensive lenses, but I just didn't want to spend a whole lot on what I'm just going to be using for UW. I love the kit lens for random stuff just walking around, and didn't think about how short the focus throw actually is. Looked at it tonight and that is going to be negligible in the long run.
Thanks guys

My 16-50 DA* is uh, well, staying out of the water
Samyang 14mm?