Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2006, 11:53 AM   #1

Lens selection

for the kind of shooting I'd like to do. I'm wondering is there's one lens that can work all the shooting I like to do. Or if there's 2 or 3 lens that won't break the bank account out there I can buy.

Soon I'll be buying a K100D, my plan was to get the kit lens that comes with the camera, and maybe the 55-200mm lens that alot of people seem to reccomend. Here's the type of shooting I like to do.

Macro/close up
Landscape/architecture/telephoto
wide angle stuff.

The lens don't have to be new, and they can also be Manual focus. SO throw out some old school len selections too. Thanks for any info guys&gals.

12-01-2006, 01:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kit lens will focus to 10" and gives you a 1:3 magnification, not quite macro but a decent close up. This is actually pretty good - it's three times the size of the APS sensor. Or quoting i.glisin in the 'help finding a good macro lens' thread on this board: " With minimum focusing distance of 0.25m (0.82ft) and at 55mm setting you could have a subject as small as 1.5x2.5" fill the frame? Perhaps DA18-55 is all you need?"

The 18mm wide end gets you to a 27mm equivalent view, which isn't ultra wide but very useably wide anyway.

The DA 50-200 f/4-5.6 will give you 1:4 magnification, which is closer than the equivalent Sigma's 1:5.2.

There's a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 that advertises 'macro' with a 1:2.3 magnification. I don't know anything else about this lens, but it would cost you what the kit + zoom do together.

I'd say that Pentax has done a good job at the 'standard' two lens kit, and this combo would suit your needs pretty well.
12-01-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your choices are wide open

Well, macro/close up shots really benefit from a dedicated macro lens. I quite like both the Pentax DFA 100/2.8 and the Tamron (Acronym-crazy) Di 90/2.8.

I'm a prime guy, so I wouldn't be caught dead without a 50mm lens in my bag. There are MANY options for 50mm lenses used (both manual and auto focus) but until we see the DA 55mm, the only new 50mm lens is the Pentax FA50/1.4 which is a beauty.

As for wide, I have a great Tamron 14/2.8 and a screw mount Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 17mm f/4 FishEye. I quite like the Pentax 10-17 FishEye as well (although I don't own one). I've seen great things from the Pentax 14mm as well.

Maybe the DA 16-45/4 will get you by?
12-01-2006, 02:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

For wide-angle/landscapes I use the use and have fallen in love with the Sigma 10-20 4-5.6.... I have been really surprised by the quality of this lens (will be posted a heap of photos from my holiday in the next few days). My poor DA 21/3.2 has been neglected thanks to the Sigma :-(

For Macro, I like the Tamron 90 DI/2.8 though I tend to use it in Manual (which is normal for macro anyway) as mine plays up on the K100d (AF), not sure if that is just my camera/lens combo though?

For telephoto the DA50-200 is a great starting point...

A fast normal prime is also a good thing to add to the list, I like the FA50/1.4 but find on digital it is too tele (not really normal) so I find I use the FA35/2 much more often..

12-01-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I by the way bought the 16-45 f/4 for my film pentax, in anticipation of buying the K100D or K10D sometime in the future. It's a wonderful lens, on a dslr usefully wider than the kit (24mm equivalent), and no doubt better overall. BUT: it won't focus as close or give the same mag factor (which is nice to have, given a liking to closeup shots) and the lens is temperamental with the built in flash (it gets longer as you zoom shorter and will interfere with the flash). Still, I love it, I get a pseudo-fish eye look on film.
(some playing around photos from my first couple of rolls are here:
My new Pentax lens on a 35mm camera! Photo Gallery by jussi at pbase.com)

The real problem with slr photography: all those lenses!!! each one does something well, and then there's the next one...
12-01-2006, 04:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Interesting test with DA lens on film camera! At what focal length image circle becomes large enough to cover 35mm film?

I tested with MX and DA18-55 and that is somewhere just before 24mm, so DA18-55 should be perfectly useful 24-55mm lens on a film body compatible with FA-J lenses (not with MX obviously).
12-01-2006, 04:34 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies and info guys. I'm a noob to the dslr world, I'm searching the forums and researching as much info as possible. Hoping to have my K100D within the next few weeks.

I also forgot to add that I also need somthing that would be good for low light indoor, and also night shots.
12-01-2006, 05:22 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Flaco, I would wait. Right now you've got 18-200 covered with two fairly decent lenses. After shooting a while you'll know better what you want. More reach, wider, closer, whatever. Once you know the range you want, then look more closely at the lenses in that range. It would be a shame for instance if you bought a good macro lens, and after a couple of weeks of "gee whiz" shooting it sits on a shelf. You might find yourself drawn to indoor shooting w/o flash, or discover that architecture floats your boat or birding or any number of things. Or maybe you just like all of them a little bit. Each of these scenarios require slightly different lenses. Relax, get to know your camera, shooting habits, and style. Then go out and go LBA crazy!

NaCl(a little patience never hurt anybody)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 12-01-2006 at 05:23 PM. Reason: emoticon
12-01-2006, 06:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i.glisin Quote
Interesting test with DA lens on film camera! At what focal length image circle becomes large enough to cover 35mm film?

I tested with MX and DA18-55 and that is somewhere just before 24mm, so DA18-55 should be perfectly useful 24-55mm lens on a film body compatible with FA-J lenses (not with MX obviously).

Yeah, about the same for the 16-45 -- 22-23mm I'd say.