Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #16
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,213
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Does the lens have an aperture ring? These days, I'm shooting enough film that I'm hesitant to get a lens that won't work on older film bodies.
Yes it does. I use it on my MZ-3 as well as mf bodies. It is easy to mf.

09-14-2010, 05:45 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Yes it does. I use it on my MZ-3 as well as mf bodies. It is easy to mf.
I've never seen a photo that shows an aperture ring, so that is good to know. Its main advantage over the Tammy is that it is FF.
09-14-2010, 06:15 AM   #18
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,213
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I've never seen a photo that shows an aperture ring, so that is good to know. Its main advantage over the Tammy is that it is FF.
BH has put up a series of pics that show it well from several angles.

Sigma Telephoto 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Autofocus Lens 257109 -
09-14-2010, 06:31 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
BH has put up a series of pics that show it well from several angles.

Sigma Telephoto 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Autofocus Lens 257109 -
That's interesting, because I'd swear that Adorama and B&H are not showing the same lens. If you have the actual lens and have used it on an older MF camera, then that settles it, unless they have changed the design.

Notice there is no aperture scale or index mark underneath the distance window on the Adorama photo:
Large Image Adorama Sku#SG10528DPXAF.JPG

09-14-2010, 06:40 AM   #20
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,213
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
That's interesting, because I'd swear that Adorama and B&H are not showing the same lens. If you have the actual lens and have used it on an older MF camera, then that settles it, unless they have changed the design.

Notice there is no aperture scale or index mark underneath the distance window on the Adorama photo:
Large Image Adorama Sku#SG10528DPXAF.JPG
That Adorama photo looks like the Nikon version. I have had the EX DG for about 2 years and it looks just like the one at BH.
09-14-2010, 06:45 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That Adorama photo looks like the Nikon version. I have had the EX DG for about 2 years and it looks just like the one at BH.
I've read that the 90mm macro omitted the aperture ring in both Pentax and Nikon, so perhaps someone at Adorama made the same assumption for the 105mm. The Adorama photo is from Sigma's web site, but not necessarily for the Pentax mount.

Last edited by GeneV; 09-14-2010 at 06:51 AM.
09-14-2010, 06:53 AM   #22
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,213
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I've read that the 90mm macro omitted the aperture ring in both Pentax and Nikon, so perhaps someone at Adorama made the same assumption for the 105mm. The Adorama photo is from Sigma's web site, but not necessarily for the Pentax mount.
BH is showing it with the aperture ring also. Are you sure the Tammy isn't ff?

Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro Autofocus Lens AF272P700 - B&H
09-14-2010, 07:20 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
BH is showing it with the aperture ring also. Are you sure the Tammy isn't ff?

Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro Autofocus Lens AF272P700 - B&H
I'm talking about the Sigma 90mm macro, not the Tammy. Reportedly, there were multiple mounts for the Sigma 90 that did not have aperture rings.

I heard the Tammy wasn't full frame on a thread on this board, but I would not vouch for it. I saw a review that said its vignetting was similar to the Sigma, so go figure.


Last edited by GeneV; 09-14-2010 at 07:25 AM.
09-14-2010, 07:31 AM   #24
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,213
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I'm talking about the Sigma 90mm macro, not the Tammy. Reportedly, there were multiple mounts for the Sigma 90 that did not have aperture rings.

I heard the Tammy wasn't full frame on a thread on this board, but I would not vouch for it. I saw a review that said its vignetting was similar to the Sigma, so go figure.
What Sigma 90? Do you mean the 70mm? If so its ff.
09-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
What Sigma 90? Do you mean the 70mm? If so its ff.
We do have a minor failure to communicate. The Sigma 90mm macro (discontinued and replaced by the 105) was reported by one site to have no aperture ring for Pentax although another said it did. I've never had one, so I don't know.

The Tamron 90mm was reported on another thread on this forum to be less than satisfactory at full frame. I haven't had time to search for the thread, but I remember expressing my disappointment in response.

Personally, I don't know if either is true, but I was relieved to hear that neither is an issue with the Sigma 105.
09-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #26
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,213
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
We do have a minor failure to communicate. The Sigma 90mm macro (discontinued and replaced by the 105) was reported by one site to have no aperture ring for Pentax although another said it did. I've never had one, so I don't know.

The Tamron 90mm was reported on another thread on this forum to be less than satisfactory at full frame. I haven't had time to search for the thread, but I remember expressing my disappointment in response.

Personally, I don't know if either is true, but I was relieved to hear that neither is an issue with the Sigma 105.
The 105 EX DG has been around for at least 3 years and before that there was another version of it (Ex maybe). That was the reference time frame I was thinking of. However, some of the older Tammy 90mm AF were definitely excellent on film. I can't say about the new ones because I haven't tried them personally, but find the report potentially dubious. However, I don't recall an af Sigma 90mm in K-mount.

Edit: BTW, the EX 105 had a different formula (9/10) than the 105 EX DG (10/11).

Last edited by Blue; 09-14-2010 at 10:19 AM.
09-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #27
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New England
Photos: Albums
Posts: 691
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
We do have a minor failure to communicate. The Sigma 90mm macro (discontinued and replaced by the 105) was reported by one site to have no aperture ring for Pentax although another said it did. I've never had one, so I don't know.

The Tamron 90mm was reported on another thread on this forum to be less than satisfactory at full frame. I haven't had time to search for the thread, but I remember expressing my disappointment in response.

Personally, I don't know if either is true, but I was relieved to hear that neither is an issue with the Sigma 105.
Yes the Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP Macro does have an aperture ring, as can be seen in this review:

Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP macro (Pentax) - Review / Lab Test Report

That review only tests vignetting on APS-C, and has this to say about it: "The Tamron is a full format lens and enjoys a sweet spot advantage when used on APS-C DSLRs. At f/2.8 the lens exhibits only marginal vignetting (0.4EV) which isn't really field relevant anymore. From f/4 & up the issue is absolutely negligible."

Interestingly, this review of the Tamron 90mm in Canon mount puts it ahead of the Sigma 105mm:

Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro Lens Review
09-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Yes the Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP Macro does have an aperture ring, as can be seen in this review:

Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP macro (Pentax) - Review / Lab Test Report

That review only tests vignetting on APS-C, and has this to say about it: "The Tamron is a full format lens and enjoys a sweet spot advantage when used on APS-C DSLRs. At f/2.8 the lens exhibits only marginal vignetting (0.4EV) which isn't really field relevant anymore. From f/4 & up the issue is absolutely negligible."

Interestingly, this review of the Tamron 90mm in Canon mount puts it ahead of the Sigma 105mm:

Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro Lens Review
At no time did I say the Tamron did not have an aperture ring in Pentax mount, but the rest is useful information.
09-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,676
The current generation Sigma macro lenses in KA mount (50/70/105 EX DG) all have aperture rings and all are FF. This is not explicitly stated on the Sigma Web site and is difficult to determine by looking at stock photos of the lens which appear to show a non-aperture ring model regardless of mount. The only clue might be the statement regarding aperture range for the various mounts.


Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-14-2010 at 11:18 AM.
09-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #30
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New England
Photos: Albums
Posts: 691
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
At no time did I say the Tamron did not have an aperture ring in Pentax mount, but the rest is useful information.
Exactly, I was just backing you up.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
105mm, k-mount, lenses, macro in pentax, pentax, pentax lens, sigma, sigma 105mm macro, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax-A 50/1.2, Vivitar Sries 1 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, Pentax case for A Light_Horseman Sold Items 10 03-09-2010 12:06 AM
Pentax DFA 100mm f/2.8 Macro vs Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG vs Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP dyusem Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 02-13-2010 08:11 PM
Macro: Pentax D-FA 100mm vs. Tamron SP Di 90mm vs Sigma EX DG 105mm anirbax Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 01-30-2010 10:25 PM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma Macro 105mm F2.8 EX DG for Pentax Digital SLR mmzymxf Sold Items 4 10-11-2008 07:13 AM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX Macro for Pentax Mount Like New dleung Sold Items 1 02-11-2007 12:41 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:30 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top