Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma 105mm Macro in Pentax mount?

I just read on another forum that the Sigma 105mm for Pentax is backordered and no production is planned. Does anyone else know what is happening to 3rd party lens suppliers?

Are Pentaxians really so cheap that there is no money to made and no bother making any lenses for K-mount because all we use is a *ist/K100D/K-x with the kit-lens and our old K, M and A lenses?

09-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No, I, like many of us, have chosen the Pentax D FA 100mm WR macro. Because of the IQ of that lens, and its weather sealing to go with my weather sealed k20D I have no interest whatsoever in a Sigma macro of the same focal length, even if it is cheaper. Actually, I have NO interest whatsoever in any Sigma lens unless it is in a focal length not covered by Pentax, and I desperately need that focal length. Cheap has nothing to do with it. Quality of construction and output is everything.
09-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
No, I, like many of us, have chosen the Pentax D FA 100mm WR macro. Because of the IQ of that lens, and its weather sealing to go with my weather sealed k20D I have no interest whatsoever in a Sigma macro of the same focal length, even if it is cheaper. Actually, I have NO interest whatsoever in any Sigma lens unless it is in a focal length not covered by Pentax, and I desperately need that focal length. Cheap has nothing to do with it. Quality of construction and output is everything.
Have you even seen images taken by the lens?
09-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Agree with Yeatzee. The 105 is a superb lens. I have never understood how some people feel the need to bash 3rd party manufacturers, when with many lenses they have proven they can match, or in some cases even beat, original manufacturers, but with lower priced offerings.

THE best macro shots I've seen come from users of the MPE65, Tamron 90 & Sigma 105. Must be some users of the Pentax 100s out there too but since there are less of them they are less visible. An in depth Google search for the best macro shooters will reveal all.

No need to despair though with the Tamron 90 Di Macro or a Vivitar Series 1 (if you can get your hands on it !) plus of course the Pentax 100 or new 100 WR, there are plenty of remaining choices for us Pentaxians.

09-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
Are Pentaxians really so cheap that there is no money to made and no bother making any lenses for K-mount because all we use is a *ist/K100D/K-x with the kit-lens and our old K, M and A lenses? ;)
No I haven't seen images from it (referring to the Sigma 105mm Macro in Pentax mount). I was replying to the last sentence quoted above, and that accounts for the tone and content of my reply.
09-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
No need to despair though with the Tamron 90 Di Macro or a Vivitar Series 1 (if you can get your hands on it !) plus of course the Pentax 100 or new 100 WR, there are plenty of remaining choices for us Pentaxians.
Frogfish, I see no disagreement here. Where I disagree is the OP's inference that Pentaxians are too cheap and/or uninformed and/or unsophisticated to choose Sigma lenses. Pentax glass is superb, and it ain't cheap in price, or in quality of construction, or in quality of output.

Finally, I should say that I will not respond anymore. People will buy whatever lenses they choose for a myriad of reasons. I have been using Pentax lenses and cameras since 1972. My first choice for glass will always be Pentax. I have yet to be disappointed (and that includes DA* lenses). And that does not make me stupid, cheap, or ignorant.

Last edited by snofox; 09-10-2010 at 11:54 PM.
09-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
Frogfish, I see no disagreement here. Where I disagree is the OP's inference that Pentaxians are too cheap and/or uninformed and/or unsophisticated to choose Sigma lenses. Pentax glass is superb, and it ain't cheap in price, or in quality of construction, or in quality of output.
Then I agree with you.

In many cases we even end up paying a premium for our choice of Pentax over the equivalent Canikon lense, so rather than being cheapskate it can work out the complete opposite.

What I will say is that with a huge range of lenses, and prices, from M42, thru K and on to today's modern lenses, there is something for everyone and we should not call someone a cheapskate just because their pocket only stretches to M42 lenses and a K100D for example.

Absolutely no disagreement on your second statement !

09-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
hml

Sigma EX 105 Macro

I've used this lens with my K20 and the results have been superb. I do agree that not every Sigma lens has had that type result attached to it.
09-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
I just read on another forum that the Sigma 105mm for Pentax is backordered and no production is planned...
Baseless rumor?

The Sigma 105/2.8 EX DG Macro is still listed in Pentax mount on the Sigma Web site:
105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro - Macro Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com
In addition, it is NOT listed on the discontinued product page:
Lens Chart for Recently Discontinued Lenses | sigmaphoto.com
What's more, it is attractively priced and available (with free shipping) at Adorama:
257109 Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX "DG" AF Telephoto Macro Lens for Pentax AF Cameras

Sounds like someone on the other site was trolling...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-13-2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Changed "150" to a more appropriate "105"
09-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You got me excited there when you said that the Sigma 150mm F/2.8 was available in pentax mount! :ugh:
09-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
You got me excited there when you said that the Sigma 150mm F/2.8 was available in pentax mount! :ugh:
Now that would be welcome news indeed.
09-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Now that would be welcome news indeed.
Dyslexic fingers...tried for years in grade school to fix them. So many years in special education gone to waste. I will edit my post...

Steve
09-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Dyslexic fingers...tried for years in grade school to fix them. So many years in special education gone to waste. I will edit my post...

Steve
Ha, no worries. I just found out I have a little dyslexia so I understand
09-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Baseless rumor?

The Sigma 105/2.8 EX DG Macro is still listed in Pentax mount on the Sigma Web site:
105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro - Macro Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com
In addition, it is NOT listed on the discontinued product page:
Lens Chart for Recently Discontinued Lenses | sigmaphoto.com
What's more, it is attractively priced and available (with free shipping) at Adorama:
257109 Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX "DG" AF Telephoto Macro Lens for Pentax AF Cameras
Sounds like someone on the other site was trolling...

Steve
BH had it listed as discontinued in PKA up until Today. Adorama had it in stock the whole time.

Edit: That would be a good question to ask our local BH rep. There is a difference in backorder and discontinued.
09-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Have you even seen images taken by the lens?
Does the lens have an aperture ring? These days, I'm shooting enough film that I'm hesitant to get a lens that won't work on older film bodies.