Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2007, 06:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote

That was exactly what I thought, since I used to own Canon equipment, and their EF-S 18-55mm was just plain "blah"...
Hehe, that sounds funny. Would love to hear more about it. That was exactly when I bought my first canon DSLR. That lens is only sold to make people buy more L lenses to quench the guilt of buying a dud gear...

09-02-2007, 07:08 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let's just put this way: I'm no longer in a rush to "upgrade" my $80 DA18-55mm for the $900 DA* 16-50mm. It is a fantastic kit lens and ironically, for you Klaus flamers out there, got a very nice review from Photozone.

Regards,

Ted
09-02-2007, 08:00 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My first day with DA 18-55

1/6 sec hand-held

1/4 sec hand-held

1/2 sec hand-held

Pentax K100D Test Shots - Hin's Tech Corner

Thanks,
Hin
09-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Over all I have been very happy with my kit lens. I don't regret getting it at all, especially for the price.

The things I like: It's small and really light! It's the widest lens I have and quite versatile. It also produces very nice colors. And the "ghosting" is not as bad as on my DA 50-200. Auto focus is cool.

My complaints would be: It does vignette at 18mm. And there is noticeable barrel distortion in certain situations (ie flat horizons). But nothing that can't be fixed in PPL. Some scenes will lack contrast, but that can be "fixed" too.

Again, I do really like this lens and I always have it in my bag. But I do find myself swapping it off for a prime if I want to avoid the above problems that I mentioned.

09-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

If you pop over to my blog you can see TONS of pics take with that lens since it's the only one I really use (there is one post on there with pics from my 28mm the first day I tried it out, but other than that they are all kit lens photos).

There are black and white photos of my son on my blog that I HAD to make black and white because they were TERRIBLE in color as my house is not very bright. That is the only frustration I have had with it. There is vignetting in some shots... but I love that look (is that weird?), so it doesn't bother me one bit.
09-02-2007, 09:09 PM   #21
Veteran Member

As I only have the kit lens ... and still waiting on other lenses on backorder .... I have taken all of my pics with it.

Yes there are times where the conditions do not suit it .... but it has performed pretty darn good for a basic lens ... especially for the price.

In the end ... there's always Post-processing to fix images if you really have to ... a lot of the time I don't and just upload shots I have taken.

Even in dark indoors and outdoor shots ... the 18-55 has produced better than expected images (tripod helps a lot) ... fair enough it's not fast in dull situations ... but you can get around that.

I am looking forward to getting my other lenses now though ... but for now the kit lens has performed well.
09-03-2007, 05:21 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TDN Quote
kit lens is the same in kit or separate.

It's definitly worth getting, gives you a decent wideangle and it's actually not a bad lens.

I don't think you can get anything better in the same range with AF for the same price.

Tom
I sure agree with Tom. I'm on a cross country trip right now and the 18-55 is being used most of the time. I download the raw pictures to my Macbook every nite to review. Most don't need any PP. I don't see any softness at the settings I'm using.
09-04-2007, 04:17 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Thoughts on DA 18-55

I want to put my thoughts on DA 18-55 after owning it for close to 6 months with my K100D. I recommend it especially for person newer to dSLR. The caveat that I would put in is whether you plan to upgrade quickly for better image quality. If you plan to upgrade in about 2 months to something much more expansive and of higher quality, then I would suggest you to jump directly to the better gear such as Sigma 17-70, Tamron 28-75 or Pentax 28-105 f/3.2-4.5 or some others all-in-one zoom recommended by others such as Tamron/Sigma 18-125.

But if you are new comers to dslr such as my path from p&s to dSLR with no prior experience with SLR, I highly recommend the kit's lens. It is very good for the price and as a newbie.

I believe that if I can't work out a reasonable picture with the most basic gear, getting the more expensive gear will spoil the important experience in learning to cope with the weaknesses in the gear. Photographers are the brain in taking the picture even at the absence of quality gear. For example, I get lots of good pictures outdoor such as the above taking with K100D and the kit's lens. But for indoor such as the following pictures, pictures are not as sharp but tend to be soft on edges and indoor is both tricky on the WB and the fact that kit's lens wide open at f/3.5 is not fast enough without the use of flash. In general, the kit's lens is not performing well and it gets worse with the built-in flash.

And it takes patience and a learning curve to both minimize the short-coming to compensate with stop down in aperture and paying attention to natural light close to windows, and perhaps the frequent visit to AWB, WB presets and custom WB to get it close to right.

So overall, I recommend it but just with the above caveat that if you want to upgrade quickly, I would say go directly and skip the step of wasting unused gear in your camera bag.

More thoughts in getting better gear in replacing kit's lens:

Pentax Protrait Lens - Hin's Tech Corner

Thank you,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 09-04-2007 at 04:45 PM.
09-04-2007, 04:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Hin - you make this lens and camera shine, really!!! Stunning clarity and detail. I've said it before, I'd say it again - best kit lens, period!

Regards,
D
09-04-2007, 05:06 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Thank You and a blog post with links

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Hin - you make this lens and camera shine, really!!! Stunning clarity and detail. I've said it before, I'd say it again - best kit lens, period!

Regards,
D
Thank you Duh for the kind comments. And I have summarized my thoughts on DA 18-55 and the related links and posts in

Thoughts on Pentax DA 18-55 - Hin's Tech Corner

Warmest,
Hin
09-04-2007, 06:14 PM   #26

Photos: Gallery
Here's a recent post with some great example shots, from a member who loves his kit, to add to hinman's great pictures.

I still find the kit lens hard to beat, except for obvious "deficiencies", like really low light (I use my FA50/1.4) or for more reach (like the Tamron 18-250 DI II).

For the last 2 months (since I got it), I've been shooting 90% of my shots on my Tamron 18-250 DI II, and while I appreciate the reach of the Tamron, I miss the lack of barrel distortion @ 18mm of the kit. I'm now conscious not to shoot @ 18 unless I _really_ need it, and I never had to think about that with my kit lens.

Personally I find that at some focal lengths there is room for improvement on the kit, mostly because of softness at the extreme edges of the frame. However, the kit is like 60-80 bucks versus the thousands of dollars you can spend on hundreds of other lenses; it's tough to give it a hard time.

I have kept my 18-55 even though I've "replaced" it with the Tamron 18-250 for most of my shooting, mostly because I now keep a CIR-PL filter on my kit, and personally, I find it easier to change my lens than swap some screw mount filter. That and @ 18mm, I prefer the "faults" of the kit to the barrel distortion of the Tamron!

-Chris
09-04-2007, 08:43 PM   #27

Original Poster
Hinman,

Great pics with that Pentax kit junk lens
You must have some super zen powers to will the camera and lens to produce those shots.

Looks like some fantastic colors on those outdoor shots. Are these post processed any? Jpegs or raw?

I have some old gear from Pentax SLR days. Still a learner and amateur though.
I have a Sigma flash that worked OK indoors which I would bounce flash but not compatible with the DSLR. I will have to replace with the P-TTL type. Also have the F50mm f1.7.

DA18-55 and DA50-200 will be a lightweight combo for when I want to keep it light. Eventually will get a Sigma/tamron with better reach, but after the flash, another bag, new pod, and a few more filters I'm tapped out on camera stuff for a long while.
10-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #28

18-55 pictures

HI there. Check my pics. They are strait out of camera no PP . 18-55mm
Flickr: smoqqoo's Photostream
10-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #29
Site Supporter

As I noted on another thread, this last Sunday evening I was fumbling with various lenses as the light was fading on a gorgeous mountain lake. Finally I slapped the kit lens on and got what I wanted.

Trillium Lake, Mt. Hood, Oregon

Straight from the camera, no PP

Of the lenses that I own, this would be the lightest and most versatile grouping:
  • 18-55 Kit
  • Pentax-A 50/1.7
  • Tamron 70-150/3.5
For my style of shooting, I could go all day using only these three lenses and be quite happy. Of the three, the 18-55 would be on my camera most of the time.

Here is another:

Does it vignette? Some.
Does it have distortion at the wide end. Yes.
Does it have the "character" of my J-9? No.
Is it as good in low light as any of my f1.7 50s? Absolutely not.
Is it as sharp and contrasty as my FA 35/2? Ha! Ha! Ha!
Does it have the build quality of my metal-bodied Rikenon? Nope, not even close.

Is it a crummy lens? No, No, a thousand times NO! It is a very handy, light, and compact consumer zoom that outperforms anything even close to its price range, that is what it is!

'Nuff said...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-17-2008 at 07:36 PM.
10-17-2008, 11:33 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Wow, I love the sunflower. I actually love all the pics the show how great the kit lens is.